The most you pulled?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Livesteam, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

What is the most cars that you pulled with a single engine? im trying to find out a very strong engine. :)
  2. AIGI

AIGI Member

what type fo engine? steam? yard switcher? deisels? hard to tell you if we don't know what you want.
  3. JBBVry

JBBVry Member

Well i use to be in N scale. and when I was the best pulling engine i ever had was the Con-Cor 2-8-8-2 Y-6b made by Rivarossi from the early 90's when i put 2 of them together it would pull over 100 hoppers. i pulled about 50 with a single engine.
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

The best engines i had was a scratch built Sharknose A-B Unit that my late father had made. I had it pulling close to 30 cars up a 2% percent grade. No helper engines were needed. It was just a test run. I haven't run them for a good couple of years now. Guess maybe i should get them out again and run them LOL. :D
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

My Atlas SD-60M pulls 40 cars easily on the flat but at this time I have no grade to see how it will do at 2% That is still to come
  6. brakie

brakie Active Member

My best puller is a Atlas GP9..I haven pulled 33 cars with this unit on level track that I loosely place (the track was not spike down) on my N scale industrial layout bench work..This unit has the newer Atlas slow speed motor.The next best is a Atlas GP38 under the same conditions but pulled 29 cars.So,I am incline to think the amount of cars pulled *might* vary from unit to unit seeing that all of my units pulled differently under the above conditions... :confused:
  7. b28_82

b28_82 Member

I have pulled about 44 cars at the club with my NS C40-9's up the 2%+ grades. The decoders don't have back EMF so I have to change the speed once they get up the grade or when they are about to go down the grade but nonetheless its impressive.
  8. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

My best puller is one of my Life Like C-Liners (CFA 16-4) which pulled 102 Microtrains 40ft boxcars and hoppers on our NTrak layout last year.
  9. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've pulled 68 cars on the first level of my Laggan sub layout with 1 Kato SD90. There is only a very slight grade, about .25%, and quite a few curves. I've never tried to see how many they will pull up my hill, it is a 2% grade, but I do have 2 grain trians with 1 SD90 on the front, 20 intermountain grain hoppers, and another SD90 in the middle, then another 20 grain cars, so I know they will pull at least 20 cars up a 2% grade. I think they might be able to haul about 25 up the hill. I'll try it and leave another post.
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Last night I did a pulling test with my SD90's and that grain train. 22-23 intermountain grain cars all with Micro-Train trucks and couplers, up the 2% grade is the limit. I don't think that's too bad at all! 1 SD40-2 would pull 14-15 of those cars up that grade, so it is just like the real locomotives, 2 SD90's can pull the same as 3 SD40-2's!
  11. CNJ

CNJ New Member

I am limited by the size of my temporary layout, but I have pulled at least 40 cars with a LL E-6. I had the feeling it would pull a bunch more. What might be an interesting test is to run the E-6 in one direction , coupled to my pair of SD-80s going the other way. It might not truly test the E-6 because I have not put a decoder in it yet. DC vs DCC......how would that work??

Len
  12. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

Mike,

Don't forget the extra weight you've added to your rolling stock!!!!
  13. nscalefan

nscalefan New Member

Best pulling steam I have has to be the older Rivarossi Challenger, and the best pulling diesel I have is any combination of the new Intermountain FT locomotives. I don't have any newer era locomotives so I'm not sure what works well with them but my ABBA FT set will pull more cars than I can put my hands on... :eek:
  14. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

where can i get a challenger?
  15. nscalefan

nscalefan New Member

Livesteam,

The Challengers have been out of production for a while, and I think the only way to get one is search the hobby shops or ebay at this point. Con-Cor keeps saying that a new version will be available, but who knows when this will happen!
  16. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

I used my Kato Mike with the traction tire to pull 45 freight cars on a 2% grade. Ran out of cars to add.

I have had 24 behind a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 on the same grade.
  17. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Nscalefan, do you have any pictures of the challenger next too a normal size engine?
  18. nscalefan

nscalefan New Member

No, but it's quite large. It's about 1/2" longer than the Life Like Mallet if that gives you any idea!
  19. brakie

brakie Active Member

Hold the phone gang! Gotta question.. I stop by a N scale club last night and I witness a old Trix FM switcher pulling 70 cars though a yard throat..Is this normal? :confused:
  20. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I think my SD80MAC pulled about 18 cars once. That was on a tiny table, no grade, and a toy transformer.