The Megill River System (2nd try!)

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I hereby submit for your ideas and input...my quasi-completed trackplan for the Megill River System, an On30 layout in a 10 by 12 foot space.

As I am a relative neophyte, I ask that you provide some suggestions as to track planning and such. ;)

Here's the basic idea. The "Megill River System" actually consists of two lines. I originally had the ULTIMATE spaghetti-bowl trackplan, and have pared it down substantially.

The "main" line is the "Megill River & Wedgietown", which I would like to represent in On30 as a three foot narrow gauge line. On this track I would run the larger Bachmann RTR On30 equipment, again simulating a three foot line.

The "branch" line is the "Megill River Logging Co.", a make-do type of 30 inch narrow gauge line, with Bachmann Porters, and smaller equipment such as logging cars, and homebuilt stuff.

You will notice (IF I can ever get a picture up!) that there are no staging yards, or grades connecting the two lines. With this layout, I'm learning as I go in stages. Perhaps a little down the road I will add these. For the time being, this will be a continous-run layout with a passing siding in the Wedgietown area.

As I'm new, I'm trying to learn as I go, and I will have LOTS of questions for everyone here.

Hope you folks don't mind! ....Here is the trackplan.:p

Attachments

• mr&w trackplan3.jpg
    mr&w trackplan3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 266

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
I'm in n-scale right now but as I recall #4 turnouts, 18" curves and HO steam mechanisms don't go together very well. My suggestion is to go with either the mainline or the branchline but not both so you can have #6 turnouts and at least 22" min. curves for more reliable operation. Also your scenery won't be so crowded. Keep in mind while you will be using HO track the buildings and rolling stock as well as trees, bridges, etc. will be in O scale and take up more space then I think you are allowing for.
:)

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Wedgietown?

Hi Steve,

From one newbie to another, your plan looks fantastic. I like the dual gauge aspect and also the way your river winds around the layout to necessitate those bridges is impressive.

So.....Wedgietown, eh? Any thoughts of plunking a futuristic nuclear power plant in the neighborhood? You might want to change to name to Atomic Wedgietown! :D :D :D ;) (Jeez, that's a bad crack at an underwear joke)

Stan

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Steve:
As one who has an around the walls layout, I'll push for using the larger curves, although I think the Bachman stuff is designed for 18" R. A large curve in a corner doesn't come much farther into the room and the operation will be better if you go for larger locos later on. I especially think that you should do that where you are looking at curves from outside, as they tend to look tighter from outside than inside. Of course, you may want a tight curved, snakey look -- no one models 4 track main lines in HOn3.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
My version of the "Megill River & Wedgietown".

Here's a couple of drawings that I did to modify the "Megill River & Wedgietown" layout.

This puts a large chunk of the mainline underground to give the narrowgage line and scenery more room.

C

Catt

Steve ,while the Bachmann 0n30 Moguls and Porters are made to run on 18" radius curves and through #4 turnouts believe me you will be happier with a minimum 22" radius curves and #6 turnouts.By the way so will the Moguls :D :D

Might I also recomend that you use PECO 0n30 track and turnouts.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Re: Curve and Turnout Radii...

Wow! Only 1 day, and lots of help! I love this board!:)

The "Main", or lower line (pretending to be On3) has been designed to have 24 inch radii, to accommodate 2-6-0s and larger narrow gauge rolling stock, although I hadn't thought of number 6 turnouts. I think that's an excellent idea, and will be using them instead of number 4s.

The "branch", or upper line (actually On30) has been purposely designed to have tight curves, as it is supposed to be a "built-on-a-whim-and-a-prayer" (and a shoestring budget!!) sort of backwoods craziness. Larger rolling stock would never end up on this line...just Porters, critters, and short, narrow homebuilt rolling stock.

Perhaps I should point out that I INTEND this layout to be relatively short-lived, as I expect to be moving into a larger house in 2 to 3 years. I'd like to have some basic experience under my belt before starting a bigger, more sophisticated layout. For that reason, I'd like to concentrate on mastering decent benchwork, smooth trackwork, and reliable wiring.

Tin Goat sent me some EXCELLENT modifications a while back, and I wish I had the talent...I'm keeping those ideas for later.:D

Thanks to everyone for their input...PLEASE!! Keep it coming! ;)