The M.A.T. goes mushroom

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Looking west. I have started marking out where the track will go and will be ready to start gluing cork roadbed in place. The two openings at the far end are where the tracks come in from the canyon.

Attachments

• m12.jpg
    m12.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 393

Matthyro

This is the south side showing the lower outer part of the mushroom and a section along the wall that is being constructed.
The fist photo is looking east. That is the canyon turn around track at the end. It circles over what will be the staging area.

Attachments

• m13.jpg
    m13.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 387

Matthyro

The south side looking west towards where my logging area will be.

Attachments

• m14.jpg
    m14.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 388

Matthyro

The north side looking west. That will be the Ouimet (pronounced weemet) canyon on the right. It is where the track climbes the 18inches from the lower level to the upper level. It is a 2%grade and takes 75 feet to climb the 18 inches. It starts out at the west end goes along the canyon to the east end where it loops around and comes back along the canyon to reach the other level at the west end.

Attachments

• m15.jpg
    m15.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 388

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Robin,
Not "Mushroom" left for playing trains:D.-- Sorry about that, couldn't resist it. Anyway mate, it's looking very good indeed, I like the idea of the lighting valance, are you using daylight tubes in it.
Shamus

spitfire

That's coming along really quickly Robin. I admire your ability to think in 3-D this way, and your seemingly total dedication to building your RR. When I think that you not only got all this done, but also made all those buildings for your module I am just astonished!!!

Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Wow Robin! Such a large undertaking and such neat and clean work of it! The aisles look plenty big and the layout looks like its going to be HUGE! As I understand it one of the fun things about the mushroom design is that operators can be physically out of sight of each other. Trains will seem to come from far away. Very interesting!
Ralph

Matthyro

Thanks for the kind words folks. I am very pleased about how this layout is developing. Better than anything I have had in the past. So far I have spent about $500 on new lumber to go along with what I already had and it is paying off.
Paul, nothing fancy about the lighting. There is a 40watt bulb every 2 feet. I have up to 12 of them on a dimmer switch so can change the lighting to suit the needs of the LPBs. So far have 4 dimmer switches in place.

fifer

Nice Job!!

Robin , the layout looks real nice and the design is neat.
How about a track plan?
Mike

:wave: :thumb: :)

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Robin,
Can we now have a look at what the trackplan will be for the Mushroom layout. I am very interested.
shamus

Matthyro

At this point, I do not have an overall trackplan but have ideas on various sectors. I will try to put something togeter and post it here.

SD90

Hi Robin, is the area you are modeling around Thunder Bay? There is an Ouimet Canyon about 50km from there, I have been there, and there is some very nice looking scenery.

Mike.

Matthyro

Mike, some of my track will go along the north shore of Lake Superior. I used to live in Thunder Bay when it was still Fort William and Port Arthur so visited Ouimet canyon many times before the days of fences and trails so you could climb down the canyon and explore unrestricted. Today it is very different.

spitfire

Robin, my mom was born in Fort William.

Interesting story about the name change. For years, everyone had been calling it the Lakehead. But the powers that be wanted it to be called Thunder Bay. They put it to a vote and the choices were Lakehead, The Lakehead and Thunder Bay. Naturally the 2 Lakehead choices split that vote quite handily and Thunder Bay came out (barely) ahead.

Val

C

Catt

One of the things I really like about being on the Gauge is all of the Canadian members and the fasinating things I learn about my northern neibors.

By the way this also applies to the members from other countries even though they aren't my neibors :D