The Lone Wolf Line : A Modular On30 Layout

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I have already run this thread in AMR, so I appologize to those of you who've already seen this. Nevertheless, here we go.

For a good number of years now, I've been going to the Edmonton area train show in September, hoping to see some On30 stuff. First, when I'd only heard of the new Bachmann offerings, I just wanted to see a few pieces. Nothing. Okay,so I eventually caved in and bought a couple of pieces of rolling stock...just to have a look. Well, that was the end of that. Now I'm quite converted, and go to the train show in the hopes of seeing a display or layout. Nothing. Year after year of nothing.

Checking with local hobby shops reveal that I seem to be the only single On30 guy in the entire (500 000 to 750 000 people) Edmonton area. So, I guess that if I want to see On30 at a show, I'll just have to build my own.

From an old layout, I have a large number of 2 by 4 foot module frames, and these have become the basis of the "Lone Wolf Line", a 15 foot by 7 foot modular On30 layout.

I have until early September of 2005 to get this thing together. My goal is to have a full running circuit of track, with at least one fully scenicked module. If I can pull this off, I'll be at the show.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I love deadlines

Good on you Steve :thumb:
That is what we had to do, no Traction models at the shows, so we built one and did it our self`s.
You will be pleasently surprised at the intrest you will generate :)

Please keep us posted. :thumb:

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Progress: October 10th, 2004

I have built two of the four corner modules I'll need, and combined with the first four straight modules, Here's what we have so far. Planned towns, buildings, scenic elements, etc. are indicated.

The trackplan is really simple. Just a single main line bobbing and weaving through some rugged scenery...lots of rocks, trees, fills, cuts and water. Unlike my home layout, I'll be using Peco On30 track for this one...mostly for tracklaying ease and durability.

As to the corners, they are 36 inches square, and have a curve radius of 30 inches, with 6 inches at each end for joining modules and a (brief) curve transistion. The 30 inch radius should allow me to run any of the up-and-coming K-class locomotives. The town and station area will have a passing track to allow trains to meet. From what I can tell, this passing track could well be up to 6 feet long - more than enough for the short narrow gauge trains I'll be running.

Attachments

• Names.jpg
    Names.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 365
C

Catt

Looking good Steve.Once IronRailZ has the TTRAK layout the way we want it there is a modular 0n30 layout in our future too. :D

Good luck on your project and please keep the progress posted.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
philip said:
...takin it to any train shows?

That's the whole idea, Phillip. Year after year, there are never any On30 displays or layouts at the Edmonton show, and I got tired of getting only blank slares when I asked about On30 of anyone. This way, I can hopefully have people come to me. It seems to be up to me to get On30 out there and let folks see it...no-one else is doing it.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Tyson Rayles said:
:D ... Kundsen Crick? That name sounds farmiliar... That's also the name of the creek on my micro layout, great minds think alike or what? :wave: :D Looking good Steve! :cool:

Well, the mine just beside it is likely to be known as "Tyson's Folly". :thumb:

Well, the legs are coming together, and I have roughly put on the backdrop, as well as starting to work on the front fascia...which will not be blue... :p Here's a shot:

Attachments

• Feet And Backdrop.jpg
    Feet And Backdrop.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 262