The logging area on my mushroom layout

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
This section is in one corner on the lower level. I used hi-tech to draw the track plan namely pencil and paper. This as fairly tight radius's and some steep grades but I think that's in order for logging trackage. The track gains height by using switchbacks. Any thoughts. Your ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 471
F

Fred_M

So you gonna use z track and equipment or standard gauge Robin? Narrow gauge would be quite cool. Fred

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
That is a good idea Fred, Z track for narrow guage in N Scale... cool.

My layout has two crossings with other RRs, both were narrow gauge while the Credit Valley Line was standard gauge. Z and N crossings??? maybe a scratchbuilding project for later on....

F

Fred_M

Thanks Will, but it isn't my idea. It's called Nn3 and there is a group of modelers who model in it and they have a yahoo groups and mailing lists and all. If your interested just yahoo search Nn3. Fred

F

Fred_M

I dunno what's avalible in Nn3 Robin. From what I remember in reading somebody somewhere sells shells to fit z scale chassis. There is a ton of info on the net on Nn3, I I remember NTrack has a manual for sell on their site I think. Fred

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Hi Jesper. When a train goes to the end of the line, then reverses back onto another track to continue its run, I call that a switchback but stand to be corrected

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Robin, I'm sorry, guess I'm the one who needs to be corrected :eek:ops:
I was looking for a switchback from the main to the small yard, didn't even think of the yard as part of the switch back. Sorry :eek:ops:

Jesper

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks for all the great ideas here and in the narrow gauge area folks. With all this in mind I have made some changes. The actual logging track will be Z scale which is 3ft narrow gauge in N scale. Locos and rolling stock will be Nn3. The interchange with standard track will be in a section of dual gauge track, now did I really say that. I must have rocks in my head. How on earth will I do it? Will try and see how it turns out

Attachments

• DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 382
F

Fred_M

One word comes to mind Robin, handlayed. :D
Solder them up on PC ties. Jon posted on one of the groups some plans how to build the turnout, in Freinds of Dash10 I think is where it is. Fred

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robin, I think I will stay out of Georgetown until the men in white have you carefully wrapped in a straightjacket. :D :D

Dual gauge track in N? Consider cardboard ties. Nails or copper brads through the ties and solder the rail to them.
Peco's Z gauge track is code 60.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Just when I need help, David OH well will be there to bug you at the Platelayers display at the Train Show. I have some of the peco code 60 on order from Whalthers. Will let you know about it when I get it.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
An afterthoght: My friend Bill made dual gauge turnouts by adding a standard gauge rail outside a narrow gauge turnout. This was a bit of a kludge, but they generally worked. Even had a few on the main line.
If you try this, remember that a narrow gauge turnout has a sharper radius than a standard gauge of the same frog number, proportional to the ratio of the gauges.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Did you get any further with this Robin? While I was meandering I came across this:

http://www.aspenmodel.com/Frame_us.htm

Lovely semi-hand-made dual-gauge track in N/Nn3 (not to mention lovely code 40 track in N, Z, and Zm (!) too!). The price is $35 for a N/Nn3 semi-turnout (i.e. the narrow gauge goes one way and the standard straight through), which looks like what you need for that diagram if you don't want to turn to the dark side. They also have a stack of locos too in kit or RTR...

While I'm here, can someone explain if I'm missing something on dual gauge track? Obviously the narrow gauge loco can trundle down with its narrow gauge cars, and (separately) the standard gauge loco can go the same way with its standard gauge cars. But they can't do anything about each other, surely? The stuff would have had to have been unloaded and reloaded in real life, no? You can't even pull a narrow gauge car along dual gauge track with a standard gauge loco as the couplers would be misaligned. So what exactly is the point of dual gauge track, except to show off your handlaying abilities?

Charles