The Lights Are Falling!!

msh

'Morning all. While I've completed the control panel (looks sweet) those pesky LEDs won't stay in the holes. Must have made them a microscopic amount too big. I've tried a dab of modelling glue - nope, and then white glue - naaa.... I'm at a loss. I thought some tape on the back, but that seems like (what we call a simple but non-problem solving solution in the computer business) a workaround. I don't like workarounds.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi msh, my LED’s came with a plastic holder, I inserted these into the holes first (Tight fit) then plugged the LED’s into it. My thoughts are you haven’t got the holders. Go back to the place you bought the LED’s from and ask for them. Many different sizes of LED’s and holders so be careful.

I have attached a photo to show you.
Shamus

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 182

msh

Oh, shamus.... that's a really great solution and certainly as it should be. (nice picture too - did you take that just for ME??)

I bought the LEDs at 1stplacehobbies (miniatronics 12-250-05) and the packages contained only the LEDs and one resistor each. I've run a search on their site and find no record of a holder. Argh.

I suppose I could check with the LHS, but I'd feel pretty silly since I didn't buy the LEDs there. I shop primarily on-line.

So, I hope we can come up with another alternative as a fall back.

cidchase

Hi Mike,
Glue a piece of 0.020" styrene covering the back of the hole (or whatever other material you have at hand). Then drill holes in it for the leads to poke through. Install the LED's from the front with a little CA before soldering the wires.
The snap-in holders or a rubber grommet are the best way if available. They trim out the holes nicely as well as secure the LED with no adhesive.
:D :D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Msh, If you let me know the size of your LED's, I can get the holders for you, and yes I did take the photo just to show you. You really would be better off using them as they also look nice in the panel.

Shamus

Vic

Radio Shack has the holders if you can find a salesperson in the store that knows where to look:D :eek:

msh

You guys are great!

Shamus... your reputation is well earned. I thank you for your offer! Hold off until I check with the Radio Shack people (thanks to you, Vic!) They've got a 5mm LED holder I found on their site for 5/.99 and I'm going to check the store tomorrow to see if they've got them (can find them?) and how big a hole they require. Since I drilled using inches instead of millimeters that's where I went wrong. oops!

You know, I wish the States would go metric too! Everything is so easy to understand since it's based on 10.

msh

Here's a Peek

Here's the control panel as it sits right now - unwired. Oh, that's going to be FUN!

panel-done.jpg

Xaniel

msh, or shamus...

i want to start to build my layout control panel...

how should it be made? whre can i find some instructions to buiild it?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Shamus - You took the words right outta my mouth err Keyboard :) :) Good Luck Xaniel!! Post some pics of the finished product! :) ~~ Mikey

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Vic, I thought we only had that problem with RS, here in PA. I used to work for them, 20 Yrs ago. It's absolutly not the same.... Ever talk to someone 1/2 your age?? -- Don't bother (in most cases) :D :D

msh

Sure marty - all just need is directions, a plane ticket, good food, a few martinis and a bed. ... oh, and my wife's okay. ;)

Tell you what I will do though... I'll make you a nice graphic you can stick between some plexiglass like shamus and I have done. You provide me with a drawing or other accurate representation of the "flattened" layout (unless it's tiny like mine and the literal layout will work) and I'll get it into Visio, create a version for your approval, and get it on to paper or into a format you can print!

let me know.

Xaniel

ca you do the same for me msh? i having a litlle trouble to do that... and i also need to draw the plan top put on my site, be cause i have made some changes...

please??? pretty please???

Xaniel

msh, here it is... ca you do it for me? please...

by the way, what do you guys think abou this layout plan?

msh

Was in the dollar store last night
found super glue there
gave the lady $1.06 and took it home
put it on a couple of lose LEDs
those things are stuck 4 good
did all 22 that way

the picture of me hanging from the control panel by my constuction helmet didn't turn out.

problem solved!