The JGL takes delivery

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Of several new toys! Some of you may have seen a photo I posted of a JGL switcher. It was to be used as a guide for painting the JGL's 2nd Baldwin switcher. Here she is! Paint by Blake Tatar.

Attachments

• p1010166jpg.jpg
    p1010166jpg.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 194

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
And UPS delivered, at long last, my Broadway Ltd. J1e Hudson. Imagine the classic NYC Hudson being the first release of a company called Broadway Ltd! Anyway, here are a couple as delivered photos.

Attachments

• p1010168jpg.jpg
    p1010168jpg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 193

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Gary! You are one lucky guy! First, to have a friend that does such excellent weathering, and second to have your hands on that awesome Hudson. I saw (and heard) a demo model a month or so ago and it was a beauty!

Must have one, must have one!

cheers
:D Val

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gary,
Is that the Mikado I saw sitting on the layout when I was there?
Blake does some excellent work!
It's a sad thing that none of the NYC's hudsons survived the scrapper's torch, they were a good looking locomotive. I know that broadway limited is going to see some milage on the layout.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Marty, It sounds great. When I first put it on the track, it was loud as hell. After a couple minutes I had to use the mute function! There are directions included in the manual for turning down the volume using a set screw in the tender (will affect the volume in both analog and digital operation) but you can also turn down the volume using a cv. My only complaint about this model is that the instructions are minimal, there is no referance anywhere to which cv's do what. You have to visit their website, where I found that cv49 selects which sound will be altered, then cv52 adjusts the volume for just that sound. This worked well, and the loco talks to you! When I set cv49 to 1 for whistle adjustment, the loco responded: "cv49 equals 1", then when I adjusted cv52, it said "cv52.1 equals 6" Pretty cool, but details on all the cv's ought to be included in a manual. All in all, a great debut for this company. I see in their website they plan to release a heavy USRA 2-8-2, two numbers for Erie. I'll be getting one of those, as you will in all likelyhood.

Pete, Yes it is one of the locos which were sitting on the unfinished section of the upper level. I bought for the Elesco heater, which I love. I really wanted a L2 Mohawk, but haven't come across one. The H10 has satisfied me for now. The weathering is not complete, I have asked Blake to add more road grime (ballast dust to lighten and blend the weathering) It is to be near the end of its service life.

Drew, The model of the Baldwin is a VO1000. I will get some better photos of it posted. Must have moved the tripod when I took that shot.

Jim, We can arrainge a run thru on the B&P as soon as this Thursday, how is that for you?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice photo's Gary, I really like that stone bridge. Kit or scratchbuilt?

Shamus
wink.gif

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Shamus, it was scratchbuilt. Not much to it really. I bought 1/4" x 1/4" styrene strip, used a utility knife to round the edges a bit and scrap the flat surface, then used a triangular file to file notches every 1/2". Stacked them together and painted. Simple yet it looks a bit different than commercial castings.

John Sneed

Nov 15, 2001
Columbia, Mo
Visit site
john sneed

Gary
Thats really good looking Hudson.And that bridge is tje best I've seen in a long time.It looks like you have made alot of progest since I saw the layout.Next time I come east,I would like to see what else you have done.Once again,nice work.
John

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Gary: I'm insanely jealous!!!:D ;) I"ll be expecting to see your locos in the next Walthers catalog photography section right next to Shamus' new pike!!! May be all 800 some odd members here can petition Walthers to make that happen!:eek: :D

Matt--Hershey, Pa.