The Home of Norfolk and Western’s Merrimac Subdivision

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
91rioja said:
I am still having issues with the trackplan, which is done in RTS, and my Shinohara turnouts (which are not the same dimension at the Atlas ones:curse: :curse: :curse: )! It is starting to drive me nuts! Here is an example; I can use an Atlas Customline #4 to create a crossover by butting the diverging routes together and still keep a 2" center line spacing. The Shinohara #4 have a centerline spacing of about 2.75".

On most turnouts, it's possible to shorten the diverging track, which will bring the two mainlines closer together. I use a cut-off disc in my Dremel, but you could also use rail nippers or a razor saw.

This double track through Lowbanks has a crossover just beyond the passenger car in the distance, built using Atlas #6 turnouts. Track spacing is 1 3/4" centre-to-centre. Normal spacing using these turnouts is 3". As you can see, there's just enough room for two trains to pass.
100_5713.jpg

In this view, the crossover is in the distance, opposite the station. I had to squeeze the tracks together to allow room for the turntable, the pit ring of which is just visible on the opposite side of the tracks from the station. You can see how the spacing between the tracks increases beyond the crossover switch.
100_5647.bmp

Wayne

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I had a bunch of pictures to post, but. . .

Since the upgrade and with the AWOL Gallery, I can't upload them yet. Maybe sometime.

Gary, glad you like it. In a less than 95 sq. ft. room, the shelf style was the only way to go.

Wayne, I thought about cutting down the diverging sides, but I am a little hesitant to experiment with those $17.00 turnouts. Also, the Shinohara's have some built in jumpers, and I think I am going to have to cut in the area of the jumpers to make then fit. I have a picture to illustrate, but I can't put it into the Gallery just yet.

Still making progress though.