The history of the old train from San Marino

Tonino

Question; does the Giro d' Italia go through San Marino? Love cycling & would love to see one of the big 3 live ;)

It happened 11 times in the past (see here) but not recently, as you can see. Anyway, if you like old cars too, another very nice historical race, the "Mille miglia", has a stop in San Marino every year. It's a very interesting opportunity to see many wonderful and rare cars in one time.

IMG_20170519_120720.jpg

Tonino

...and speaking about dam busters... anyone of you remembers of an old Commodore 64 game with the same name? I was a big C64 fan and I remember I spent several hours trying to take down that dam flying at the right altitude at the right speed avoiding enemy fire and dropping the spinning bomb right in the exact moment to successfully achieve the mission... you had to switch between crew members continuously to keep in control every aspect of the mission, it was very nice and difficult, very good game for the standards of the time... nostalgia...

Last edited:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I had that game! Loved it! I now have the ROM for the emulator.

Managed to bust a dam once in several years of play. These before the days we could screenshot....

And here it is in all it's 8-bit glory!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
My brother in law had that game. We were like bread and butter than. We also had the "Biplane" game, can't remember the name. Man, those games were expensive, especially if you convert the dollar amount to today's games. Hard to believe the computer I am building right now has 24 Gigs of Ram, and 8 Gigs of Video Ram, an 8 Core 4.65 Ghz processor, water cooled, and the Commodore did all that with 64 bits of processing power! You couldn't do an emoticon farting with that now!! ;) :mooner:

p.s. The first computer game I ever played was in 1973. We had a terminal in our High School, it was linked to the University of Fairfield's mainframe, and this weird course called "Computer Science", which attracted so few people, they turned it into a "Detention/Study Hall/Computer Science Class". The game involved you imagining a Jeep cross a field, and you entered X and Y coordinates to try and bomb it. There was no monitor, just a huge box, and the loudest I.B.M. Ball printer you could imagine. It would print out a page per input. Needless to say, not a single person every bombed that cursed Jeep!! I learned APL (A Programming Language) through that terminal. That gave me a significant edge at Sikorsky, as I understood how to make flow charts, and quickly learned the proprietary programming for the then "state of the art" robotics we had there. :)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It happened 11 times in the past (see here) but not recently, as you can see. Anyway, if you like old cars too, another very nice historical race, the "Mille miglia", has a stop in San Marino every year. It's a very interesting opportunity to see many wonderful and rare cars in one time.

View attachment 159229

So you live in one of the most beautiful cities and the world, and the Mille Miglia stops by there too!! Holy Cr@p!! I would love to experience that. That Bugatti is a dream car.

Here's a link to one of the best models of the Bugatti I know of. Many Liveries (no engine though, but a great series of models nevertheless in 1/30 scale. :)

Link = http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kamaboko/1_30model/pg16.html

bugatti_main.jpg Bugatti liveries.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I built one, and the fit and finish of these cars is magnificent. Every model on that page is wonderful. Yo can download the build pictures by "Right CLicking" "View Background Image". This way you can have the build instructions as part of the model. It is a wonderful collection. I would like to double the size though as these models could be greebled into something even more intense. I think they could be made from Aluminum flashing also. The real ones had Magnesium Rims!! :)