The Gauge Watch

C

Catt

Dave,I think this watch would be great.I think the only change I would want is for The Gauge logo to abit lower and abit larger than Kent has it.

In other words if it don't break the bank count me in. :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Dave, I think the watch is neat. Like Catt I would like to see the logo just a bit larger.

I noticed that the watch face contained the word "chronometer".
Does not a watch movement have to be certified by some Swiss authority before it can bare that designation on its face or movement? Not trying to be a stick in the mud...just don't want some AH's trying to take you guys to task over something petty.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
I would be interested in something a little more refined and between $50 and $100 in cost. Can a hunter style case be done for this cost? If so, i think having the map of the world engraved on the outer case would be nice. It would symbolize our world wide community of model railroaders. Could possibly show a train engine orbiting the world map if we need to have a train on the case. Or perhaps one on the front and one on the back. One from the "Old World" and one from the "New".
Then i'd put the Gauge logo in the upper section of the face, similar to what has been shown on the other thread. Keep the numbers simple and straight forward like a classic Elgin or Illinois timepiece.

May want to add, below the center of the face, one of our catchphrases, "Keep it Gauged".

Then, each of us can have the inside face of their watch engraved with their name and the gauges they model.

Having this would give my 1907 Illinois some days off.

Regards,
Ted

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
My preference would be to have smaller numbers and a large Gauge logo through the middle even with the shaft for the hands coming through it .
I would be interested in getting one if the price is reasonable as I have to pay in Canadian funds and then shipping charges and often brokerage fees for getting it across the border

kparks

Nov 3, 2003
Flagstaff, AZ
Visit site
So what makes a watch a "Chronometer" or "Certified Chronometer?"

Thanks for everyones' input thus far...I'll post some some of the requested changes later today perhaps or during the weekend.

Regarding the term "Chronometer". Back in the hey day of American mechanical pocket watches, (don't know much about Swiss/German ones) to be railroad certified a watch had to keep time to +-2 seconds a day. Those watches used a special "overcoil" hairspring which helped them keep time to that accuracy level. Examples: Hamilton 992b, Bunn Special

Today, when you see "Certified Chronometer" or "Superlative Chronometer" which is a Rolex trademark, that means their mechanical watch movements are individually certified by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres. Accuracy must be within +4 -6 seconds a day.

Typical quartz watches of today routinely perform at +-1 second a day, hence the use of Chronometer is appropriate, though amost all quartz watches are not independantly certified due to the extra cost to do so.

kent