the-gauge vs. Atlas forum

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Welcome aboard nevets68! I say participate in all forums that you enjoy. Hope you like it here. It is an easy going place with lots of talented folks. Good luck with the layout...keep us posted! By the way, anyone who appreciates the humor of "Office Space" is OK in my book! :)
Ralph

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Well, thought I'd add my two cents worth.

First, my own personal biase is towards a busy forum and Atlas is a busy forum, probably the busiest of all the forums. Because it has so many active members, it is harderd to get that "small town" feel to it. But I like the spontaneity, the "quickness" of the pace.

I agree a fast pace can be difficult to follow, especially if you only visit sporadically. Threads do have a way of falling off the edge of the earth there.

But you also have the most manufactures visiting that forum, and occassionally getting into trouble. The MP president did a bang up job of it (in a negative sense) when an N scale forumer (Steamguy) gave a very critical review of the first version of the Pacific in N scale. I also noticed a few posts by Terry Thompson (of MR) recently, but I think he will find it safer to stay low key there.

The guage has a "small town" feel to it. More longer term folks, good modellers, scratch builders, kit bashers, everything you need. It is a well done forum. But I like the fast pace and diversity of a large city, rather than the slower pace and less diversity of a small town.

I think the crowning jewel of this forum - for me - is the storage and archiving of good ideas; this is invaluable. When ever anyone asks about backdrops for instance, I always provide a link to here.

the_great_snag

Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
I have to agree with Rick N... I also like the pace of the Atlas forum. It is especially nice if you need a question answered quickly. You don't always get good answers, but you usually do.

I will say that the community on here, although smaller, is generally a lot more cordial. I also appreciate the chat room feature. I go on there in the evenings if I can get my wife off the computer for a minute or two and it's always very friendly and informative.

I think the posts in this forum are also more on-topic than Atlas' sometimes are. That may change this week as a lot of us Atlas regulars are going to be looking for a place to roost, but I think it will be fun for all...

conraildude1

May 28, 2003
The Rotten Apple
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge Viking

I too am a quasi lurker poster on the gauge but I post a lot at the Atlas fourm. One thing that the Atlas fourm doesnt have that the Gauge has which is my favorite would be "Scratching and Bashing" Im a want to be basher and I enjoy seeing others create stuff from scratch which you see once a week basically on the SNFF (Sunday Night Foto Fun) hosted on the Atlas fourm. So kick back relax and enjoy your new friends.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
I'm also a lurker here, just recently registering on The Guage. After completeing my backdrop, courtesy of one of the many gifted members here, I registered, and made a few posts, but mostly lurk. Like RSN48, I like the high-speed nature of the Atlas forum, but this slower pace hereis nice, especially with all the masters that frequent The Guage. I have tons of ideas for my new layout, and The Academy is, in a word, AWESOME.
I usually like to post tons of pics all over the forum, as I have been more avidly railfanning that model railroading lately. It's too hot in the train room!!:eek:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've never really got onto the Atlas forum.
Can I suggest to the lurkers that if you haven't registered, you;re missing one of the key features of the forum, the "view new posts" option, that lets you check the activity since your last login. It even lets you start viewing a thread from where you were last on.
We've had a few flames here, but the moderators jumped on them so fast that some members didn't understand the responses!

G

Gregg Mahlkov

Boredom set in and a forum-hopping we go

I notice quite a few more Atlas refugees on here. I used to be fairly active here but found more went on on the Atlas forum in a day than on here in a fortnight. Actually I just thought I'd drop in on some of the other forums, and this seems to have gotten more of the Atlas crowd than the others. Of course, Trainboard was shut sdown when I tried it last night.

Oh, and I was still registered here, unlike Trainboard or Railroad-Line
:confused: :confused:

C

Catt

Flame wars

This is my forum (and now Matthyro's :D ) and we simply will not allow flame wars.Everybody here is friendly ,helpful,and laidback.

This is a hobby meant to be enjoyed by all who participate.The ATLAS wars are getting to be totally rediculous.I am a member there but to be truthful sometimes I wonder "WHY????" :D

Big Blue (my name for the Gauge) is loaded with talent.Talent that is more than willing to share their knowledge and to learn from the other members.

I guess what I'm saying is.If I had to chose one forum to call home,This is it.

G

Gregg Mahlkov

Who said anything about flame wars?

Catt!, your comment is duly noted and since it was directed at me evidently, as it immediately followed my comments, I shall not bother y'all by posting here anymore. Sorry to have offended. :( :(

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I lurked in the Atlas forum since April. It took them a week to get me registered on their end. I got registered the day before their vacation so I only got a couple of posts in. I also tried to build an HO layout one time with atlas track. Oh, it came all right; with missing pieces! :mad: Here I was registered immeadtly. I gotten nice responses.

thank you. :)

C

Catt

HUH???? Gregg,I don't see anything accusing you of flaming.What I said was I won't allow flame wars like the ones that get started on the ATLAS forum,

I guess you won't be reading this ,but at least everyone else will see it.

viking

Jun 28, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Hey Catt! Thanks for providing such a user-friendly photo attachment capability here on the-gauge. I just loaded a photo on the current photo-fun thread and it works great. I don't mean anything negative towards Atlas, but the Atlas forum photo attachment capability is a pain. Progress is great, and it's nice to have the option of two (or more) of these "forums" to utilize now. We've come a LONG way from those archaic "mailing lists" (especially the moderated ones, where a message sometimes takes longer to be delivered than first class mail :D :D, and gets "lost" at times as well)

Jack