the-gauge vs. Atlas forum

viking

Jun 28, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Hi folks. I just found out that this place existed from a post over on the Atlas forum. How do the two compare? At first glance, I like the look and feel of the interface for this site.

Jack

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Jack and welcome abord.
I think you will find most of us have been on various forums, and kind of settled down here;)
You will find a good motley crew here, lots of info from guys oooppppsss and girls,,,,,who do a lot of modeling, and photography.
I still visit Atlas now and then but dont stay long before I come home:D
Enjoy ,,,,,,,, we do:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
There seems to be a higher percentage of super nice people here than at ANY other forum IMHO. Welcome Jack, look around, jump in and have a good time! :) You will find beginners to world class masters and everything in between, but no matter which end of the spectrum they are at they all bring something to the table. Want to learn? Teach? Share? Have a good laugh? You are at the right place! Enjoy! :D ;)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
How do the two compare
Jack,
I think most everyone here will agree,,,,they don't.
If you feel more comfortable here, then this is the place. If you feel more comfortable there, then that is the place. In any case, welcome to the gauge! I hope you find it more comfortable here.
Viking.....Viking..... Do the name Jon Monon mean anything to you???:D :D :D
Pete

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Viking,

Welcome to the Gauge. Like the folks before have mentioned, this is the best MR Forum going. The newbies learn from the experienced modelers. The experience modelers share tips, techniques, and their vast wealth of knowledge to make the hobby better. We all share information, photos, trackplans critiques, opinions, humor, as well as personal care and support, where needed, freely.

Stay a while, talk with the folks. I think that you will agree with us that this is the place to be. We all visit the other places to but this is home.

:) :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome, here's my experience:

I started in MRR toward the end of last year. I stopped at several forums and posted some newbie-type questions. I got cordial and informative replies on a few forums, but on the Atlas N scale, all I got were a lot of viewpoints, and why I should conform to theirs. No real answers, no substance, and it took a lot of effort to wade through the ton of posts. I didn't go on one day and my thread was on page 4, I missed a week and my thread was now on page 18. I went back a month later to post an answer to my questions since no one else did, and I had to dig my thread out of the archives. And I couldn't believe the all-knowing responses other people got to their innocent posts.

This forum goes at a nice pace, and I have yet to have anyone appear agumentitive and anything less than helpful. I visit a few forums now and then, but I feel accepted here, and besides, who has all that time to visit and post all over the internet when they can meet all the people and get all the answers they want right here?

Don

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
Welcome Viking I am sure you will like our little home here been too them all but still have too come here....and as far as atlas they can blow wind all day:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D ;) :cool: Rich

C

Catt

Welcome Jack,I am the mod on this forum and also the scratchbuilding forum.I am also a member of the ATLAS forum. I like them both though I have to say this one is alot more laidback than the ATLAS forum.

You will find that the modelers here are just that we don't knock anybody elses choice in scale (at least not seriously) and everybody is willing to help the other modeler.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge viking! I have to agree with CATT! this fourm is alot more laid back, and I like the blue background too! I am a new member, just over a month, but I have found lots of interesting ideas and tips I will use on my layout! Once again, welcome abord!

PS, it's much easier to post pictures here!

UP_STEVE

Jun 21, 2003
brisbane, australia
Visit site
im only new here, but i like it here, and i also like the atlas forum, although it is a bit fast, im also on railroadforums.com and trainboard.com, and i like them all, despite some being slow and some being fast.
i think each forum is different, and theyre all good in their own ways.

plus i dont have to worry about how long it might take to post to all the forums.... i got plenty of time lol :D

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Welcome viking!

I heard about The-Gauge from a great friend. I have found the posts engaging and all the members knowledgable and experienced in their own right. Some are more active then others, etc. I'm just getting back into it myself so it really gets my juices flowing seeing some of the awesome work here.

I like it!

I've taken a look at other BBs but haven't bothered to register.

Anyway, good to hear from 'ya, hope you'll get around to letting us eyeball some shots of your stuff.

Mark

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Welcome Viking, good to have a new member pulling up a puter and joining us. You'll like it here, there's lots to see. You won't find too much in the way of arguing or insulting here (and if you do, it's just for fun). There are many great modelers here with lots of advice. Even the seemingly silliest questions get answered in an informative manner and there is a great deal of fun too. Hope to see you around.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Viking!
Welcome to The Gauge!:)
I'm a member of a couple of other forums as well, & I enjoy them, but there's no place quite like the "blue board"!:D
I've been a member here for 2 1/2yrs., & I've watched the place get bigger & better all the time!
There's a huge diversity of modelers here...from all over the world, all types of modeling, all types of skills & experience...
Regardless of where you are in the hobby...from the novice setting up their first train set, to the veteran modeler, you will find friendly, helpful advice, lots of encouragement, & plenty of inspiration!
The Gauge has become my "24hr-a-day-anytime-you-want-to-stop-in-we're-always-open-RR-club"! That's the best way I can describe this place!:cool:
I do lurk around over at Atlas from time to time, & I'm not going to knock that forum, but it just doesn't have that kind of feel to me.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Blake
Even the seemingly silliest questions get answered in an informative manner

One thing that you will find here that you will not find in most of the other forums is that we WILL NOT TOLERATE A "DUMB QUESTION":D There is no such thing as as a "dumb question". It is a question that someone has at the time that needs resolution. It may have been asked before and if it has the person will be advised of (1) the link to the answer or more oft than not (2) the response that he/she needed. The only dumb questions that we have are those not asked.:) :)

viking

Jun 28, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Thanks for the warm reception folks. I'm looking forward to participating here. These on-line forums make great "virtual" train clubs, and it is always nice to visit another one. I've found the Atlas forum to be far superior to the "mailing lists" out there, and it certainly sounds like "the-gauge" falls within the same category.

Jack

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Welcome to The Gauge

I like this place. It's nothing but fun here. Good people!!

Atlas? That's what people call me when I lose my hat. ;)

Also, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Only stupid answers. :rolleyes:

As dumb as a POST, dose not apply here.

Keep Happy :D

TrainClown

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have never gone to the Atlas forum. I tried once but it had been closed down due to flaming posts. I spend most of my time here but do visit other forums too.
I add my welcome to you too Jack