The Galactica series that never made it

silveroxide

I was not aware that before the BSG new series, there was an attempt to make another different season. It would have used the old series with the old uniforms, Galactica, updated MK I, and cylons. It looks like it would have salvage the series after that fiasco when they found earth.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I remember that series that never made it!!!:(:(:(
It is too bad that Richard Hatch did not get the "GREEN LIGHT" to go ahead with this series. I think that if this were to have been made, it would have been good. I like how it was more of a continuation of the original series (instead of a REMAKE).

This is where the Scarlet Viper came from.
fighter_viper_scarlet.jpg

It was also suppose to feature the Viper MK-IV as well.
fighter_viper_mk4.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think it would have flopped. The graphics were cheesy. There still were not flying with inertia. The character Baltar was a "dumb" character in the original show. The reboot of that series really got it right. I think "Blood and Chrome" had real potential. The Scarlet Viper looks nice but chopping off a big piece of the leading edge of that small wing would have given that craft some serious problems in atmospheric flight, i.e. unpredictable stall characteristics during full speed, which is why you don't see wings like that. They had buggered the show by the time they got to air, the Humans deserved to die. I'll never forgive them for Dr. "Z". Someone there was taking LSD! IMHO. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
it could have made it if johnathan harris had been the supreeme commander as that loony bot. seriously it looked great, the mormons woul have watched it, since its full of there theology. i really liketh cylon saucers and will be building a whole bunch of them with lights weapons, BY YOUR COMMAND............[or assome say during the battle scenes -bye,... your command!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RB, the Viper Mk. IV is not from Richard's "The Second Coming" but from the cancelled DeSanto / Singer Galactica project!;)

Do you want to know more? Just click here:
http://www.tombsofkobol.com/bsg/1978-revivals-intro.html

Although it is interesting to see that some designs of the trailer made it in the reboot such as the batwing-style Cylon Raiders and the independent Raiders with the sweeping eye in their front grill.

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

great link, whats with the lizard?
I don't remember them in the original series ,
were they there? what episode?
I thought I might get into watching the old and new shows since all of you like them.
I'd drop my prejudice on the actual series.
[it might have been that when it came on I just started dating and thought I was oh so grown up,
and I had a hard time with one of the tv movies,
the robo teddy and some other things,
but loved the special effects and some of the actors.
one episode where starbuck rewires a centurion into his friend seemed to appeal to me way back when]
and is there a free channel to catch up on this show and the new one?
I like the terminator kind of story line,
robots wiping out humans,
and I have heard the newer series was well done.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The lizard was in every scene featuring the Imperious Leader. Glen Larson rejected the first design of the Imperious Leader because he thought it was too scary for the audience. The second design was simply awful and ugly, but there was no time any more to change it. So the character was shown only from behind or from the distance in a dark room (which in turn was a good choice because it didn't allow the audience to get a full view at the Leader's look so that it had to use its imagination to fill in the gaps). Unfortunately the lizard became so small then that it remained almost completely unnoticed (even I didn't know that it was there before I saw the close-up galleries on byyourcommand.net). However, due to the latest BluRay release the lizard has (finally) become visible again! :)

There are quite a few eps of the old series and a series of splendid compilations of the new series on Youtube. It has to be noted that there is the old series (called TOS) which we all love and there is a sequel called "Galactica: 1980" which we all ... well, let's say, would love ... to put under lock and key till world ends ;)..! (The only good things of G1980 are the flying Turbobikes, scenes featuring the Cylons, all new space scenes done by Universal Hartland, the Buck Rogers blasters in "Space Croppers", and the last episode with Starbuck repairing the Cylon.)

Check out these fan edits to see what G1980 could have been:

BTW, two other reasons for watching the new show are: RON D. MOORE & GARY HUTZEL. Should sound familiar (both made DS9 so good ;)!) .
One of the reason for watching the old show: ANDREW PROBERT (he designed: the Cylon costume, the Viper helmet, a large variety of fleet ships, the TMP Enterprise, the Enterprise D, the Romulan Warbird ...:cool:)!

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

just watched the first one, pretty cool! I remember that episode. used to come on sunday night after dinner, not much to do, except go to school Monday, so we watched bsg and then I think some other show that was really popular but wasn't scifi. looking forward to building pms of a cylon and a viper fighting with lites!

spaceagent-9

wow! Thank you --that wasa lot like independence day! pretty good on the animated stuff too. I would like to see the new series. I suppose if I googled the title of it I would get some videos? whats the title of the newer series?

silveroxide

If you have a NETFLIX account, you can watch the whole BATTLESTAR GALACTICA new series. The old series had a male Starbuck.