The Force is strong with you young Skywalker, but you are not a model yet.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Hey, just what are you making there?:smoker::sticktongue::wink:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
His gaze will leave you froze
His grip is grim demise
His hands are always cold
He's got Darth Vader eyes
He's got Bette Davis thighs!! :mooner:

Reactions: Sky Seeker

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have been experimenting with "Flex Seal". I got a small can from an "As seen on T.V." store in the mall. This stuff is amazing, and goes on extremely thing. Great for making rubber looking tires, a coating on the face, or whole head of that model would smooth it right out. I suggest getting a can and playing around with it. Whatever you do, paint a small series of different thickness swatches so you now how long it takes to dry, you wouldn't want a fingerprint on your head. It dries shiny, on paper anyways. I got the 16 oz. can to try a seal a troublesome spot on my roof, in the Winter a water dam causes a minor leak. It cost around $13.00 bucks for 16 oz. I think you could do a few thousand truck tires for paper models with that size. It did not penetrate the paper either. :)

liquid.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Great idea Zathros, where do I buy in South Africa? ;)

I'm going to keep my eyes open for something similar :)

Liquid Electrical Tape would have a similar effect. It's a little more runnier, but not by much, and also works great for rubberizing, and of texturing paper. It also dries shiny.

In S.Africa link = https://www.commercialmarine.co.za/676-liquid-electrical-tape

starbrite-liquid-electrical-tape-118ml.jpg.png

This stuff looks similar, I don't know if they sell retail though? http://www.liquidrubber-sa.co.za/index.html

:)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
It was a good weekend for model building!

First, the latest in Sith Swimwear...

IMGP0004.JPG IMGP0005.JPG

First attempt at the lightsaber, didn't come out quite the way I wanted

IMGP0003.JPG

A quick impersonation - Look Darth Maul!

IMGP0007.JPG

And to set the scene for the next pic....

IMGP0006.JPG

I got chased out of our study (where the camera was) and I got carried away building the arms

IMGP0008.JPG

And, you put your left leg out...

IMGP0010.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Darth's really coming along nicely. I would like to reiterate that you are using far too thick a gauge wire for what you are doing. The wire need not be as thick as the resistor ends. You are only carrying Milli-amps of electricity. You can go down to a local electronic supply store and get a couple of rolls, (Red, Black) of very thin gauge wire. This will make soldering much easier. You can just tin the pieces together. I had an Electronic repair shop for 10 years. If you get the small gauge stuff, you can add solar panels to the base, and tie in a capacitor, and with a 555 timer chip, and small voltage regulator chip make the unit come alive when the cap is charged. If you got a tube of conductive epoxy, you could wire two spots in his hand, and have the LED in the same matching pads, and have a light saber that only works in his hand. The conductive glue would allow you to make paper switches, so when you touch the model in a special spot, it lights up. Lots of way, but use thinner wire, much easier to work with. Coming along very nicely. ;)