the FM connection

cn nutbar

hello everyone---hey deano,this one's for you---fairbanks morse played a major role in canadian locomotive production.working in partnership with the canadian locomotive company in kingston ontario,many fm models were produced in canada using the plans from the u.s. plant in wisconsin---here's a sampling of these locomotives

the builder's plates on cnr #2900 reflect the fm/clc partnership
january262007001.jpg

here's trainmaster #2900 hauling a coal train on the eg&e
doctorwayne2007009.jpg

#6705,a 5 trucked passenger c-liner
trueline67051003.jpg

a freight c-liner with accompanying b-units
trueline67053006.jpg

passenger and freight c-liners waiting at the station
trueline67054005.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I'm not much for diesels (bring on the CNR steam...! ;)), but you gotta love that black, gold, and green! :thumb: :thumb:

Andrew

UP SD40-2

Thanks Nutbar!

nutbar:wave:, WOW!!!:eek: GREAT POST!:thumb:, THANK YOU!!!:D :D your engines are AWESOME, and your photography is FANTASTIC!:thumb: (as usual;)):thumb: :thumb:

nutbar, as YOU well know, FM's are in my blood:D, but to get others up to speed, my Granddad & Great Granddad BOTH worked for FM right here in the Beloit WI plant while FM was making train engines:D. to be honest, neither of them were train buffs:rolleyes:, but both considered themselves to be great craftsman, and loved their jobs:thumb:. both of them made the parts that went in the prime movers of those fantastic engines:thumb::D.

a piece of my family is in every one of those engines that rolled out of the Fairbanks-Morse plant here in Beloit, so when i see modelers that have FM's, i feel like those legends are living on, and it really makes me feel GREAT!!!:D THANK YOU!, for the interest nutbar:D, and THANK YOU for the GREAT POST!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

HERE is something you might find interesting;). this is a list of ALL the FM's CN had:
CFA16-4.....20
CFB16-4.....3
H10-64.......18
H12-64.......11
CPA16-5......6
CPB16-5......6
H16-44........18
H12-44........30
H24-66........1
AN INTERESTING NOTE: CN's Trainmaster was a demonstrator built for CN RIGHT HERE IN BELOIT!!!;) the unit was built in 7/1955, and the builder # was: FM24L862. the original number on it was 3000, but was changed to 2900. i am puzzled at the Kingston builders plate on it:confused:, since it was REALLY made here in Beloit:thumb:.

THANKS NUTBAR!!!:D -Deano

doctorwayne

announce1 Hey, Dean! I hope that you didn't miss that other "treat" that Mister Nutbar included in the last photo. The per diem charges must be astronomical on that one by now!:rolleyes: :D :D

Wayne

UP SD40-2

doctorwayne said:
announce1 Hey, Dean! I hope that you didn't miss that other "treat" that Mister Nutbar included in the last photo. The per diem charges must be astronomical on that one by now!:rolleyes: :D :D

Wayne
DOH!!!:eek:, THANKS for mentioning that Wayne:thumb:, i was so wrapped up in the FM's, i didn't notice the UP BOX!!!:eek:ops: you just CANT beat that Nutbar;), he's TRULY a STAND UP GUY!:thumb::D. THANKS WAYNE!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
doctorwayne said:

Wayne

sign1 sign1 sign1

Great pics Nutbar,:thumb: :thumb: thanks,:D :D :D they look so AWSOME:thumb: and makes me want to get some older units, :rolleyes: to bad they would look kinda funny on my layout,:eek:ops: but I sure do like the looks of the paint on those babies, :D :D Maybe I get a couple A's and B's? O crap, you did it again, you got me spending money I don't have now, THANKS GUYS hamr wall1 sign1

UP SD40-2

viperman said:
Cool loco's CN! Though I do have this question, why did the C-Liners have 5 axles, rather than 4 or 6?
viperman:wave:, the CPA's and CPB's that CN had were passenger units, the reason they had 3 axles in the rear was to evenly distribute the weight of the heavy train steam generator located in the rear of the engine;). hope that clears things up:thumb:. :D -Deano

viperman

That does help Deano, but only brought another question. I know I've read it somewhere, but what exactly did they need the steam for in a diesel?

doctorwayne

viperman said:
That does help Deano, but only brought another question. I know I've read it somewhere, but what exactly did they need the steam for in a diesel?

Usually the steam was used for train heating: a steam pipe ran the length of each car, and was connected to adjacent cars, much the same way as the air hoses on the brake pipe. When heat was required in the passenger cars, valves could be opened to allow the steam to pass through radiators in the cars. Steam was also used to heat water for use in the washrooms, and in some instances, it was also used to activate air conditioning.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

i am puzzled at the Kingston builders plate on it, since it was REALLY made here in Beloit.

I think the Canadian builders plate was FM's way of skirting the Canadian Regulation that Canadian railroad had to buy canadian built locos

CNWman

CNW Fan
How do you know which C-liner does what? I have no cluse as to what my F3A is suposed to be. I have it hauling grain freight but I really haven't done any research into the paint-scheme division thing.

EDIT: nevermind, I found which one is witch. Now to identify MY F3 :D