The Fish Building

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Hello All! While I'm laid up (shingles...ugh) I decided I'd go through some old files on the computer and post a couple older projects. This structure was built in early 2004 and sold on ebay. It was a neat way to earn a little money, but now I kinda wish I hadn't sold it. Anyway, I suppose I could always do it again if I found the same kit.

The basic four walls came from an old Magnusen kit I picked up at a GATS. Just the four walls, $5, if memory serves me right. The addition on the back is scratch from clapboard siding I had in stock. The base is foam with lightweight spackle for the ground and sidewalk, painted with acrylics and scenicked with WS products. The little fence, garbage cans and cats are WS metal details as is the stump. The stovepipe is from a Bar Mills kit, I believe.

I call it the Fish Building because of the signs. The Beer ad painted on the wall came on the kit when I bought it. I added character to the brick with mortar and coloring a few bricks here and there for interest. The zig zag in the wall on that side was just a way to add interest as well...an easy saw job requiring no additional walls, just additional bracing inside. I use bread clips for that, often.

x front detail.JPG

x front left.JPG

x front right.JPG

Three more pics in the next post...

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
More pics

If you look closely you'll see the rear addition is actually sagging to one side. I did this by cutting two of the walls at a slight angle, making more of a trapazoid than rectangle. The corner trim hides that fact, making it appear as if the footing hasn't been well laid. The inspiration for this addition came from old photos of a slum district in Philly.

x rear left.JPG

x rear right.JPG

x rear detail.JPG

Maybe there's fish bones in the trash cans, too, since those cats are all hanging around. And I bet the old woman with the broom is taking a break from her chores and lamenting the fact that that big old maple got cut down last year. Or perhaps she's enjoying the sun?

It was a fun kitbash...I've got another from that same time to share eventually. I'd love to hear from the fellow who bought it to know if it found a home on a layout, or what.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW love the building Galen!!! Nicely done :thumb: the weathering, pealing signs, different covered bricks here and there, the addition, and the trash in the yard REALLY bring it all together and make it look good!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Thanks, everybody! I can't remember exactly how well I did on the sale, but I know there was a bidding war to get it. I was flattered, naturally, but tinged with sadness that I had to pack it up and send it away.

Some folks just pile on the details (a la Selios) and that's fine, but for me I prefer a restrained approach. Too much clutter shouldn't be everywhere on a layout but here and there is appropriate. I hope I acheived that balance here. What the buyer adds will be up to him or her.

Not sure if you can see it, but there was a neat little cinderblock step detail I added on the back stoop. Fun.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Galen, that's as fine a building as I've seen ANYWHERE....!!!
Although that one is gone, I'm sure there are others still up your sleeve...:thumb:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Gus - indeed, they are hibernating in the plastic tubs and boxes in the garage. I was out rummaging through them today. On the one hand, I feel confident I won't have to set foot in a hobby shop for years and I'd still have plenty to do. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I get a bit depressed thinking about all those lonely kits, waiting to be bashed.:cry:

Oh well. They will have their day in the sun!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Absolutely beautiful Galen! Great looking brick work, weathering, signs, and that addition on the back makes it even more interesting!

Modeling that inspires us!

Ralph

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Great looking kitbash, Galen. :thumb::thumb: The alteration and the addition make the original building much more interesting, while still looking prototypical. The restrained addition of details only contributes to the overall character, without overwhelming the structure: in my opinion, the best way to do it. ;):-D

Wayne

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Modeling that inspires us!

Thanks Ralph, & Wayne. I have been inspired over and over here at The Gauge and always want to give something back. Since I haven't been modeling as much as I have wanted to, I figured I'd pull something out of the barrel for now. There's another ebay kitbash waiting in the wings...mebbe I'll post it next week.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Galen...
It is not often enough that we get a chance to see your work...but it is always worth the wait! :thumb:
It is a truely outstanding job!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
That addition on the back really sets it apart (it gives it loads of character). I also agree that you have just the right amount of clutter. You have really pulled it all together, and it just looks......."right"!

Great work, my friend! :winker: