The First Modern Submarine

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

The following is the aft portion of what many consider to be the first modern submarine. I'll open the design thread with a "name that submarine" contest. I have to admit that the research on this design has been enjoyable and one of fascination with the personalities involved. The design is being done with Rhino (of course) and the rendering below is from the Penguin renderer, a non-photographic renderer which I prefer for its ability to illustrate.

-Gil

[​IMG]
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Is it the USS Holland - Submarine Torpedo Boat # 1 - built 1898 commissioned
    1900?

Regards,

Charlie
  3. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

USS Alligator?
  4. tjchung

tjchung New Member

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

USS Holland SS-1

Charlie wins! For more information the following site is suggested:

http://www.geocities.com/gwmccue/

The most interesting aspect of the USS Holland is how quickly the design spread once it was recognized that Hollands design actually worked.

-Gil

P.S. The name "Torpedo Boat" is the reason why Submarines are referred to as "boats"...,
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

USS Holland SS-1

Hi All,

Some progress...,

-Gil

[​IMG]
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

PMI still sells Gunnar Sillen's model of a Holland class sub. I placed the translated instructions in the parts bin.
  8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I could not find the kit offered by PMI...do you have a link to the product page?
    Cheers!
    Jim
  9. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Jim - how did you get Penguin to do that crayon kind of look? I've been using it primarily to do sketches for build instructions, but this looks like a really cool piece of art!

Thanks,

Oliver
  10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

11. Gil

Gil Active Member

First Modern Submarine

Hi All,

The Moduni offering is a later derivative design of the original SS-1 which was Hollands sixth design. I've been toying with the scale of the finished model and have settled on 1:48 to 1:32 remembering that the origianl was 53.75 feet in length. Decking detail inlcuding ventillators, railings and anchor chain still need to be added yet.

Jim, This is a great "New York" model as the Holland has a great local content story adding to its conversation value.

Oliver, Penguin can produce interesting results but does take some messing about to obtain artistic results. The colors are all "object" colors using the "watercolor fill" setting with the Rhino ambient and background settings in overwrite and all line shapes "off". It produces an illustration style render which is much more interesting than a straight screen shot from Rhino.

-Gil
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Gil, you have that right! A very historically significant vessel for the New York area. Shame when you think about how the Port of New York as regressed over the years, most ships now call at Port Elizabeth/Newark, not the Brooklyn piers. If you've ever seen photos of the South Street Seaport from earlier days, with the ships packed together at the piers, you know what I mean.

Thanks for the link, Gil; what an interesting site, full of great information about this pioneer and his subs. Nice set of detail drawings, but I didn't see any one set that gives the overall look of the sub on the site, save for the computer graphic the web owner created but that's a 3D pic.

I found a set of plans here:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h77000/h77191.jpg

You probably already know about this page, but here's a page with links to other plans and photos of models, etc.:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-h/ss1-z.htm

Thanks for the link, rmks2000...beats me why I couldn't find it myself...well, my wife has a few ideas about that, but we'll not go there.:grin: I'll have to consider getting Gunnar's model, I just love his designs.

I hope you keep us all apprised as you develop this model, Gil, it looks like it would be a fun model to build.

Cheers!
    Jim
  13. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Looking forward to it. The only NYC model out there that I know of is the Digital Navy lightboat. I've been hoping that someone would design a side-wheeler ferry.
  14. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Excellent! Thank you Gil - I'll have to try that. I've been doing "showy" renderings in Flamingo, but this doesn't have the "CGI" look!

Cheers,

Oliver
  15. RINGMASTER

RINGMASTER Member

There is a Rigby model of the Holland on the Fiddlers Green " Goodies" disk. Also at the Rigby website.
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

USS Holland SS-1

Hello All, A little further progress. Anchor chain, ventilator pipes, boat gaffs and maybe a flag mast to round out the design. A Navy Jack and an appropriate period American Flag is also needed. I've got some interesting thoughts on how it might be displayed but that's for much later.

Had an interesting interlude with Rhino though. A phantom surface appeared and could not be selected and would disappear and reappear depending upon the viewport camera angle. Finally sought help on a Rhino forum and received enough information to make it finally go away..., otherwise one of the options was to start over. McNeel knows about the issue and has fixed it in Version 4.

-Gil

[​IMG]
  17. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Very impressive, Gil. Should be used in a sales presentation for Rhino :) I really hope you choose 1:32 for this model and make it available to we mere mortals.

Cheers --- Larry
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Anchor Chain and Waterline

Hi All,

The anchor chain took a while to get things right. A number of small deck fittings which don't show were also added. The waterline was added by dividing the surfaces into two sets and assigning each a color set. Also realized I was posting non-reduced images which has been fixed. Surface development is the next step.

Larry, I've given some thought to making it available as a full fledged model but doubt there's much demand. I guess the best idea is to just play it by ear and see how it goes.

-Gil

[​IMG]
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Box Art Revision I

Morning All,

One last item before signing off. Needed now is a New York skyline from 1900 to composite in the background finishing the box art cover.

-Gil

[​IMG]
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Illustrated Version

Hello All,

Finally got the Flamingo renderer to do something that looks vaguely like what the model should look like when built. The following was composited using Photoshop. This is the end of the pretty pictures phase and the beginning of the test build. I've been thinking about doing it either of two ways. One is to construct the model out of 0.5 mm cardboard with no regard to surface detail (printing). It's what I would call scratch building and uses filler, sandpaper and tempera paint. The only "card" part is the use of cardboard as the major construction material. The other method is along the lines of the classic card model using heavy cardstock and printing to do the "painting". Which is preferrable to you?

-Gil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]