The final plan

fvracer85

Well folks after over 2 months of debate......this is it, this is the one I'm building. The "duckunder" is now a hinged section, the yard is staying in the back (I do own a stool and at 6'1" I can reach fairly well without it). This one fits the operations that I'd like to see the best and has room to incorporate the scenery options I'd like to see on the layout. As far as ops go, what you are seeing is the Lehigh Valley RR (the 1.5 times around main) and the Sweet and Bethlehem short line. The ops go a little like this. The Sweet and Bethlehem service the blast furnace on the old module and the industrys in Bethlehem at the top of the layout (steel mill, candy factory, etc. (all real industries in Bethlehem, PA in the 40s and 50s) ). and then proceed down to the interchange yard (middle left) were the roll mill is serviced and trains are exchanged between the LV RR and the S&B RR. There is also a team track and Lumber yard in the imaginary village of Sweet (the road we live on is called Sweet) that is servced by both the LV RR and the S&B RR (right of way on this part of the LV RR is shared with the S&B RR). On top of the freight activity is the LV RR passenger service, this will service the scratch built copy of the prototype Bethlehem Union Station and the scratch built prototype LV station/depot (in the sept. issue of MRR) that resides in the village of Sweet. As for the S&B RR,I plan on using a doodle bug to service stops at the roll mill, blast furnace yard and the town of Bethlehem, this is for commuters moving to and from their jobs, this may also be a mixed passenger/freight service (one or two boxes or one extra coach, such consists ran on the LV in the 30s, or so I read... (who needs a car on this layout?)). So, if that doesn't keep a couple of throttlemen busy....I'm not sure what will. As far as structures go, in addition to what I've already mentioned, the village of sweet will have a few village type buildings (enough to give the "impression" of a village anyway). and Bethlehem proper will consist of stone and brick row (teraced) houses and shops, some light industry, etc. I have chosen the Walthers round house and turn table and the engine shed from Greenway products (beautiful old PA type 100' stone built enginehouse!!). There will also be industrial building flats against the "left" wall behind the "big" yard and roll mill. Other than that, there will be our farm on a raised peice of land overlooking Bethlehem consisting of an old stone type PA farmhouse and barn (Greenway Products again) and a wooden bridge across the back of the layout leading into the backdrop. As far as motive power goes, I have already got 2 Atlas LV RS-11s, a P2K LV sw-9, and a P2k LV F1a&b. I'd LIKE to get a set of LV Pacifics for steam power (non, semi, and full streamlined (the John Wilkes for the streamlined loco)) and a LV doodlebug. Whew! So talk to me about 10 years and I MAY be close to finished! LOL

Martin

SBLVfinal.jpg

fvracer85

Oh, I forgot the Moravian Star that will be placed on the furmor Mt. Sweet (which will of course have to be renamed South Mountain as that is the Mountain that over looks Bethlehem PA). The prototype of this is a giant star near the top of the mountain that is lighted for holidays and other special occasions in Bethlehem. The only regret my Wife has about this plan is that I don't have the space to plop Lehigh University (her alma) on the mountain too! :eek: ....LOL

Martin

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Martin, looks like you have a nice plan to work from now, I see that the duck under is still around. Don't worry about duck unders, sometimes to get the most out of a room you just have to have one. I have in the past, and know doubt will again at some time in the future.
Shamus

fvracer85

Shamus, I've been toying with this for a couple months now (like seriously 40 odd variations all said and done) so this is as good as it gets with my constraints. I'm happy with the plan operationally (finally) and I just need to flesh out some more details. Thanks for all YOUR help too! I doubt I would have arrived at this plan without the input you gave me as well as the inspiration I took from your track plans!!!

Martin

fvracer85

Well, as far as updates go.... the second "module" is in. It makes up the "top" portion of the plan. The 3% downgrade is installed and the trackage for the S&B shortline (that follows the wall contours at the "top" of the layout) is down. The new trackage has been fully tested, I even managed to back a train up the grade (part of which has a 22" radius curve on it) multiple times without incident (the train consist was made up of my 2 Atlas Rs-11s pulling/pushing 16 Athearn 2 bay hoppers with "live" loads in half of them and a caboose), so needless to say I'm happy with the trackage in that portion. Onward with the expansion!!! I'm actually already pleased with the way I'm now headed with the layout, even with a smallish portion of the trackage installed, as I already feel like the trains go somewhere (instead of round and round) even if they have to return in reverse... :rolleyes: ......

Martin