The Expanse Thread

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I agree,but the shallowness of the article did nothing that would have allowed fan to voice their discontent. You're right though, maybe the author didn't know the details. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Well the ppl who does not have access to ScyFy could start buyng the eps on amazon instead of pirating it. ;)

How were people pirating it? They would have to buy the blue Ray or DVD collection, pirating off of streaming runs into all kinds of DRM issues. I don't think pirating had anything to do with this, it was distribution rights. All the articles I read felt that pirating was just thrown in there. Congress already gave the right to copy with VHS, and the companies do not want to bring anything else to the Supreme Court because they know you will lose. Once you broadcast it, it can be copied, you can't sell it though. This has to do with people and their DVR's, which producers hate. Which is really stupid as no one has been able to break the DVD recording protocol, to make disc burnable copies. No Handshake, no recording. I know ways around this but my electronics license would be revoked and I would face fines and possible a small prison term, not worth it.

This same issue exists with the European paper model publishers. They have not interest in making a distribution network for their models. I know a well know person who wanted to buy a container load of models, and they said they would select what models they would sell him. Most were obscure models they couldn't sell with a few good ones peppered through. He declined their offer. Halinski is the culprit, so their models are scanned at 600 d.p.i. and they lose out, and they are everywhere, but they never intended to sell to the U.S. market, so in reality, they have lost nothing. Personally, I don't ask if a model is pirated or not, I don't want to know. I am sick of this "Internet Police" attitude. The few people who distribute some of their work never have what I am looking for. I am happy I got a publishing of the Steyr R.S.O. by A.D.W., now that they are out of business, I would never cut up that magazine, but I already downloaded a scan, and it had all the directions too.

Having the actual publication makes building the scan legit.

Reactions: daishi

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
Looks like amazon is negotiating to pick up The Expanse for season 4. If amazon gets it, it will be available on prime. This is good news to me but I know there are amazon haters. As far as I am concerned, SyFy became irrelevant years ago with unscripted shows and wrestling instead of scifi. NBC and SYFY can ruin anything. As a cord cutter, I stick with amazon and netflix.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I live too far out in the woods. My DSL bandwidth cannot stream Netflix, and I cannot get it through my Satellite service. Over the air broadcasting was abandoned too early.

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
Yep, that's why I have seasons 1 & 2 on bluray. I am patient. And I don't like mindless, offensive commercials. I am very fortunate to have cable internet. Funny thing is I live in an area that was some of the last to get cable, which means my cable works better than the stuff in the areas that had it all along.

Reactions: lyter1958

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
Just in case no one has mentioned it Amazon look likely to pick up the Expanse after SyFi cancelled it
LOL just noticed the post a few up, oh well late to the party again

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I really like the show, I may wait for used seasons to buy or rent . :)

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
Confirmed! Amazon has taken on the Expanse for what sounds like could be multiple seasons

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Looks like amazon is negotiating to pick up The Expanse for season 4. If amazon gets it, it will be available on prime. This is good news to me but I know there are amazon haters. As far as I am concerned, SyFy became irrelevant years ago with unscripted shows and wrestling instead of scifi. NBC and SYFY can ruin anything. As a cord cutter, I stick with amazon and Netflix.

I'm a cord cutter too. So SyFy paid $85 million dollars an Episode to produce it, and they're the bad guys? Not sure I understand that math. They let them produce the show just the way they wanted. Yes, they apparently negotiated a bad deal, but the screwed the people who hung on for 3 seasons, and now, if they(the show's owners) think I would pay one penny to watch it, well, it will tank on Amazon, they don't have the numbers, and is Amazon going to pay up the $85 million bucks per Episode. I doubt it, at least not with strings attached. The show has "Jumped the Shark", without. Ratings were down, and SyFy was still willing to pay for it, they just wanted to negotiate the streaming digital content.

I think SyFy had an aneurysm when they changed their name to "SYFY", and when started with wrestling, I stopped watching it for that whole period, they stopped that quite a long time ago.. After everything I have read, I think these people (The Expanse "Owners") just became greedy, and we the viewers got screwed again. It will tank, this countries internet infrastructure is so bad, someone seems to have forgotten not everyone can even stream shows. When the season sets get donated to the Town Library, I'd consider making a copy of each one for my personal pleasure. That's illegal though. I guess that's why it's illegal, even though the software is free and really easy to get. I think it's called "DVDFab", works on Blue-Ray" too, I'm told.

Check your local laws
, link below. Use the "Free" Version, then use DvdShrink (also free, easy to find) to remove the junk, and ImgBurn to make an .ISO you can burn.

Link = https://www.dvdfab.cn/

Reactions: Cybergrinder

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
I think SyFy made the right decision to drop the show. The show just wasn't that good unless one was a fan of the books, which I haven't read nor am willing to buy the series. I liked it because it was a beautiful show. But, at $85 million per show, I think they made a mistake on making that one. Scifi shows usually lose money until syndication and I don't see this show ever making a return on investment. SyFy is not big on long-term and reliable syndication.

SyFy in general, in my opinion, is a crummy channel. However, they do get things right occasionally. I don't think any of the entertainment media are worth the time of day, but I like to be entertained and tend to overlook most of the garbage. I stick with amazon and netflix because of choice and no commercials. If I find something I really like I buy it on disk, but only at a very good price and used, if possible.

TV, movies, print media, news media, all of them are forgettable and untrustworthy. They could be gone tomorrow and I wouldn't care. The only time I consume them is in the evening when I am resting from the day. During those times when you're just killing time until the rapture, they get the job done.

Reactions: Cybergrinder

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
YAY finally arrived to the story of Abaddon's Gate (book 3), which is my 2nd favorite, after the first one, of the 7 I've read.

So much great things:
- The Ring: alien super-bio-tech at its finest
-
Clarissa Mao, and they even shown her gland implants at work :)
- Some action on the Behemoth/Nauvoo .. can't wait for more
- And in the books this is where Anna first appears, I mentioned eralier that she is one of my favorite characters in the books
- The slingshot racer was a nice touch, he had only a few pages in the books as kind of a prelude. Also great way to show what happens when you shed several orders of magnitude of speed in basically an instant... gory.

Edit: OH yeah and Miller is back YAAY... and turns out I am 1 episode behind LOOOL

... Sorry had to get an out for my enthusiasm :p

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think SyFy made the right decision to drop the show. The show just wasn't that good unless one was a fan of the books, which I haven't read nor am willing to buy the series. I liked it because it was a beautiful show. But, at $85 million per show, I think they made a mistake on making that one. Scifi shows usually lose money until syndication and I don't see this show ever making a return on investment. SyFy is not big on long-term and reliable syndication.

SyFy in general, in my opinion, is a crummy channel. However, they do get things right occasionally. I don't think any of the entertainment media are worth the time of day, but I like to be entertained and tend to overlook most of the garbage. I stick with amazon and netflix because of choice and no commercials. If I find something I really like I buy it on disk, but only at a very good price and used, if possible.

TV, movies, print media, news media, all of them are forgettable and untrustworthy. They could be gone tomorrow and I wouldn't care. The only time I consume them is in the evening when I am resting from the day. During those times when you're just killing time until the rapture, they get the job done.

They did one heluva job with the "Battlestar Galactica" reboot. I never read the books, but I did enjoy the story as presented, and certain characters were rather excellent. Drummer comes to mind, and miller is the best! :)

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
Yes, Battlestar Galactica was definitely one they got right. I think what they got right was letting Ronald Moore make that show.

I have the first Expanse book on Kindle. I might have to get around to reading that.