The Expanse Thread

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
New Episodes of the Expanse are back. I got a new DVR and forgot to set the date, and only caught the 12nd half of the continuing Episodes, but it will be on SyFy on Friday, April 13, @ 6:00 a.m., set your DVR's!!!!

Check your local listings for the regularly scheduled Episodes, so you don't have to wait a few days for the re-showing. :)

The "Razorback" Epstein engine powered racing spaceship, accelerates at a constant 6 G's, it doesn't stop and then cruise at whatever speed it attains when reaching 6 G's, it keeps going at 6 G's, top speed becomes almost irrelevant!!!:

Razorback.jpg
Razorback1.png

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
The sad part is that a 6G load for more than a few seconds will put most anyone in a world of hurt, even today's fighter pilots only pull that high of a G load for seconds at a time.. Then G-LOC (G Induced Loss of Consciousness) sets in.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If you notice, they have an I.V. full of fluid, that mitigates much of the effect, that is the tube you see fill up with liquid that goes into their arm. If you watch the show from the beginning, they showed all this stuff. The science behind the show is pretty spot on, except for the monsters!! I believe the liquid supplements the blood, part of the Sci-Fi ethos of the show. This is also a Racing Ship, most ships use an continuous 1G acceleration. The fluid has to be flushed out, but it is supposed to supplements the blood, be nutrient and oxygen rich, and not allow the blood to pool.

I have pulled 6 G's in an aircraft before, to be honest, it really wasn't that bad, also, it's centripetal force, not centrifugal force. I was piloting the plane, maybe that made a difference, high situational awareness, it's when you get up to 7 and over and how hard you snap that stick that determines when it gets really problematic. The numbers are deceiving as each "G" is not incremental in scale either, it's exponential, there's a big difference between 6 G's and 7 G's, and 8, etc.

The plane I was flying at the time was capable of +7, and -5G's, it was custom built, experimental aircraft, and the owner asked me to come up with him and have some fun, how could I deny that!! It was the only Tandem seat plane I ever flew. I was in a 90 degree turn trying to flat spin it, to learn how to recover. Sounds nuts, but that is part of the joy of flying. I worked of these aircraft, with the owner of the F.B.O. who was an A&P, and also an A.I., so all bases were covered. It took me two hours to learn how to properly safety wire a propeller onto a Piper Warrior, my favorite plane to joy fly in. It's quite a feeling to fly a plane you have just repaired, and know that it was done right, and the guy looking over you shoulders had 30 years of experience doing this kind of work. I had to stop flying as my Spinal Cord injuries caught up with me, and turbulence caused more pain than the G's did. I did do this gradually in that plane, a sudden snap into a 6,7, or 8, G turn would have black or "Red" me right out, but everyone is different. Do some research on it, and you will see. :)

daishi

If you notice, they have an I.V. full of fluid, that mitigates much of the effect, that is the tube you see fill up with liquid that goes into their arm.
Yea the "Juice" is a mixture of various blood thinners, blood vessel reinforcers, adrenalines, steroids and various other stuff. It comes up later in the books when some people use low quality stuff, that it is more likely they stroke out on high-G burns because of it. Also previously in the show one of the belters susicided by moving his neck during a burn, so the collar that would inject the Juice could not do so.

Also I love how the pilots in the Razorback sit in chairs that are rotatable on all 3 axis so they are constantly kept on the opimal angle to the acceleration vector.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Yea the "Juice" is a mixture of various blood thinners, blood vessel reinforcers, adrenalines, steroids and various other stuff. It comes up later in the books when some people use low quality stuff, that it is more likely they stroke out on high-G burns because of it. Also previously in the show one of the belters susicided by moving his neck during a burn, so the collar that would inject the Juice could not do so.

Also I love how the pilots in the Razorback sit in chairs that are rotatable on all 3 axis so they are constantly kept on the optimal angle to the acceleration vector.

YES to all you wrote!!! Thank You Daishi. . The story line is very consistent and stays true to science as we know it and they project it.. The "Belter" committed Suicide after they tortured him by hanging him by hanging him on hooks in 1G gravity. They are born and live their lives on the Asteroid Belt, and live in fractional Gravity. This is why I say Gravity's influence is not incremental, even the Martian Soldier who visited Earth and trains in one G Gravity had trouble walking on Earth. A very important consideration when watching the series. The C.G. effect when they poured water and due to the asteroids spin, the water came out of the bottle in a spiral and around a 30 degree angle from the glass was incredible, and they showed that quite a bit. :)

daishi

The C.G. effect when they poured water and due to the asteroids spin, the water came out of the bottle in a spiral and around a 30 degree angle from the glass was incredible, and they showed that quite a bit. :)
Yeah even in the books it comes up that the outer levels of the spun up asteroids are the better "real estate" because the bigger spin radius the "G is higher and Coriolis is less".

What I really loved were the birds on Ceres ... so unnatural to us "Earthers" , and totally hammering home that the G is much lower there. (The birds there can stay in place by beating their wings a few times every five seconds or so.)

One big reason the show is amazing because they come up with things that actually shows things without someone explaining it.
Coriolis is very noticable there -> let's pour some water instead of someone mentioning it
Low G -> put in some birds
... genius

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It's the brilliance of the show. They do their trade assuming we are intelligent people. The birds were awesome!! I think "Miller' was great, I hope he comes back in some form, and Julie Mao. This clip shows much (spoiler alert): :)

daishi

Today's episode (S3E4) was the first totally differrent from the books ... so far 5/5 ... Nothing that felt less than the "original" story, and was nice to watch something I didn't know how it will go. :)

The part when they salvaged the Nauvoo was another great show of physics in space.

I like how Anna Volvodov was brought in much sooner than in the books, normally she would come in in the next story arc. Great character glad she gets more screen time.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I love this Actress. This actress is brilliant, I liked her in "Lost" too. The salvaging of the "Nauvoo" was masterful, these guys are professional. They did build the ship after all!!

I also like "Drummer". I love strong female character types, and this one kicks ass. I like her Belter Accent. She is "Anishinabe", a race of American Indian, the name, "Anishinabe" is what they call themselves. They are also called the "Ojibwe", by others. She has a very ethnic, unidentifiable trait to her, is quite beautiful, and looks like she could kick the ass of anyone I know!! In my younger days..............................................

Nauvoo Retrieval:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
OMG!!!! The idiots at SYFY have cancelled "The Expanse!!!

Something to do with not negotiating the streaming rights. What idiots. I love out in the woods. We will never have the bandwidth to stream, and because of the cables, Cable Internet is extremely unreliable, and branches break the lines a few times a week, and they take days to fix it, and still charge you the full amount. I had too give up on ComCast. At least with DishNetwork, I could get everything, and since I had a straight shot at the satellite, I have rarely lost reception because of a storm. I cannot stream on the DSL line I have now, it is far too slow. Unreal.

:ass-kicking:

SYFY SUCKS!!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Once the SC-FI channel changed to the SYFY channel, everything went down hill. I was upset when they decided to make BSG "BLOOD & CHROME" a YouTube movie and not make it into a proper series. It would have made for a great series.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It seems they did not get streaming rights, so after paying $80 million an episode, and not having negotiated properly, they are dropping it. This means the owners of "The Expanse" are screwing us equally, having SyFy pay for the hardest years, and then not being able to negotiate streaming rights. This is greediness all the way round, but SyFy did pay for the first three years. The owners of "The Expanse" haven't said anything. I think they wanted too much, from what I have read from here and there. IMHO. :)

t.l.williamsjr

Sorry, but I was sick when they resurrected BSG. Couldn't stomach the first series, much less the reboot. Pretty much the same way with Star Drek; original was a barely adequate "Wagons, Ho" in space, ST:TNG was pretty much the same, the only one I thought had sufficient storyline was "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine ", but then I go back to the Fifties with "Captain Video and his Video Rangers" and the last of the Saturday morning matinee's running the last serials made.

TomW.
Once the SC-FI channel changed to the SYFY channel, everything went down hill. I was upset when they decided to make BSG "BLOOD & CHROME" a YouTube movie and not make it into a proper series. It would have made for a great series.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SYFY SUCKS!!
Hmm, don't worry. SyFy will bring us some other fine hours of joyful high quality TV entertainment instead. Another "Sharknado", anyone? (ducks and covers...) :noteeth:

OK, kidding aside, the situation reminds me of the cancellation of the Stargate shows. There was no closure whatsoever to the shows, they simply pulled the plug, and these shows were pretty successful (even in Germany). Even "Dark Matter" didn't get a proper ending. :frak:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
SYFY would much rather spend the money on stupid felgercarb like WWE!!!:robot3::robot3::robot3::robot1::robot1::robot1::Computer::Computer::Computer:

daishi

I hope some online distributor like Netflix takes it over, would go nice with Altered Carbon and the new Lost in Space :)

Probably not but hope dies last as they say.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
After reading up on this, this situation will happen over and over as these people forget that the main medium for watching shows is Television. The competition from streaming etc., creates a competition that is tearing up the fabric of the public's trust from the entertainment world. The over the air channels were taken away and replaced with digital bandwidths, generously priced by the government, with the hope that these companies would now broadcast in High Definition over the air. Instead they chose not to, and now have gone to streaming, and other digital formats that exclude vast groups of people. It's not enough that you have to watch commercials during a show, but now they want you to pay for the show AND watch commercials. More money for less effort and reaching a smaller audience. I think the FCC should get involved and set a standard.

In all honesty, "The Expanse" dragged for two seasons, and at around $85 million dollars for each episode, it isn't fair that SyFy foot the bill for three seasons, and does not get a cut of the digital steams. This the greediness of the producers of "The Expanse", and bad negotiation from SyFy. Maybe these guys were naive enough to think SyFy would keep footing the bill for the shows, and they would realize all the profits. The show was losing audience and just starting to pick up, when this bombshell of no streaming rights hit. Personally, if I were at SyFy I would not have renewed the show either under the present scheme. I would have negotiated for rights to every form of distribution, and negotiate the proper compensation for such rights. They put the money into the show, they (SyFy) proved it in fact by putting in the money and not realizing a profit.

Also, as far as the BSG remake, it was fantastic, and very few people feel otherwise. It was made from beginning to end, never showed a same special effect scenario twice, modeled Newtonian physics and in my opinion, set the standard of following through with a TV series.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That link provides none of what is the real reason behind the canceling. To suggest that people spend their hard cash on buying streams or whatever is anathema to how this show was presented, on TV, for free, you watched commercials, and their were many, and that was that. To suggest that people get ready to pay for it is ludicrous. They would not get 1 cent from me and I will forget about it. I have never paid $5.00 dollars for a cup of coffee either. IMHO

daishi

To suggest that people spend their hard cash on buying streams or whatever is anathema to how this show was presented, on TV, for free, you watched commercials, and their were many, and that was that. To suggest that people get ready to pay for it is ludicrous.
Well the ppl who does not have access to ScyFy could start buyng the eps on amazon instead of pirating it. ;)