The Edmund Fitzgerald Project

S

sdk2knbk

The main reason I was considering adding the camber was to account for the people who tend to scale their models up, then it would really need it. I also need to attemt to "out-do" the JSC kit. After all, if I don't why would people want to build mine instead of theirs? Any other features anyone would like to see on her?

Scott K.

alaimo@jcu.edu

I need a Pin up girl. . .
Apr 18, 2007
Excellent build. I was a yungun when she sank in 75 and I was delivering the Cleveland Press. It was on the headlines for awhile! I kept up with the reports and remember the news stories as if they were yesterday. I remember when Gordon Lightfoot came out with the song. I am in Cleveland and it was huge news here. Again Excellent build, I don't usually do ships, but I would like to do this one. If you make it available, I am interested! Thanks!

S

sdk2knbk

Edmund Fitzgerald 32 Years

Sorry I never answered your post, Rich. I must have missed it. Unfortunately, the availability became much less a few weeks ago, when I lost my most recent updates in a crash. (Figures, I had just finished upscaling most of the model to 1/250.)

Anyway, we have reached yet another unfortunate anniversary. It has now been 32 years today, the 10th, since the sinking. Please see my post above from a year ago for my tribute to the crew.

From the Boatnerd site;

Lost Mariners Remembrance Webcast Tonight
11/10 - The Detroit Historical Society's Marine Auxiliary Group (former Great Lakes Maritime Institute) will host a remembrance for sailors lost on the Great Lakes at the Dossin Museum in Detroit. This program will be available online through a webcast.
The schedule of events:
  • 6:00 p.m. – Guests will light lanterns during a ceremony at the Fitzgerald anchor.
  • 6:30 p.m. – Lee Murdock will perform as guests enter the museum.
  • 7:05 p.m. -- A wreath will be taken to the edge of the Detroit River.
  • 7:10 p.m. – The wreath honoring those lost on the Great Lakes will be laid in the river with U.S. Coast Guard vessels, the Detroit Fire Department’s Curtis Randolph and the mailboat J.W. Westcott II. The wreath will be illuminated by a newly restored spotlight atop the William Clay Ford Pilot house, the same spotlight that was used when the Ford searched for the missing Edmund Fitzgerald on November 10, 1975. Bells will toll inside the Museum in honor of lost sailors.
  • 7:15 p.m. – Presentation by guest speaker, maritime historian John Polacsek
  • 7:45 p.m. -- Reverend Richard Ingalls, Jr. of the Mariners’ Church will lead a prayer service.
  • 7:50 p.m. – Lee Murdock will perform his rendition of “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”
The program can be viewed November 10 at 6 p.m. by following this link; Lost Mariners Remembrance Live November 10, 2007 at the Dossin Museum

And also;

Maritime museum to host bell-tolling event
11/8 - Rogers City - The Great Lakes Lore Maritime Museum in Rogers City will be hosting three memorial bell-tolling services in the next month to honor freighters that sank on the Great Lakes.
This is a big event for the museum. It is something a lot of people look forward to. Some people even come in from out of state Museum President and Director David M. Erickson said. The bell-tolling service is done every year by the museum on the Saturday closest to the day the ship sunk. It is done in honor of the men and women who lost their lives on these vessels.
The first of these services will be November 10th at 2 p.m. It will be in honor of the Edmund Fitzgerald which sank in Lake Superior 32 years ago.
The next will be held November 17th at 2 p.m., in honor of the Carl D. Bradley, which sank in Lake Michigan 49 years ago.
The final service will be December 1st at 2 p.m. This service will be for the Daniel J. Morrell which sank in Lake Huron 41 years ago. Dennis Hale, the lone survivor from the Daniel J. Morrell, will be present for this year's ceremony for the ship. Hale recently was inducted into the museum's hall of fame.
For each of the events, Erickson will give a brief history of the ships, including what happened to them, and a little information about the time period in which they sank. Following Erickson's presentation, the names of those who lost their lives will be read and the bell will be tolled once for each of them.
There will be volunteers present to ring the bells, but people from the audience also will be able to participate in the tolling of the bells if they desire.
"We are the only museum on the Great Lakes that honors the sailors. Most museums have artifacts and models and do not tell you anything about the people who sailed the lakes," Erickson said.
The museum will be open to the public following each bell tolling service. For more information, interested parties can contact the museum at 734-0706.
From the Alpena News

Scott K.

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
Can I necropost on my own thread? I can't believe its been over 4 years since I posted anything on this. Sure wish I could still do so under my old account, but that was apparently deleted by "the shark".

I'm still working on the 250th version, and have actually started construction. No pix yet, but soon. I did get a picture of another version I did, though. The simplified 1/700th blue version I built for my daughter. It's a recolor done at her request, after seeing a real blue freighter sail by when were were staying at a motel along the St Lawrence river. It's 5 years late, because of a drive crash that was only recently undone, but she still wanted me to build one anyway. Still missing the hatch crane, since I apparently forgot to add one to the model sheets. She likes it very much, and it now sails on a shelf in her bedroom.

Pictures of the big build to follow.

Scott K.

Attachments

• CK 1.jpg
    CK 1.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 8
Z

Zathros

Why not? It's Necroposting if someone else makes a post in it. You're just back from a long sabbatical. Nice to have you back. None of that stuff going on here, at all, anymore. Welcome back! Please do post pics, now that I'll have that song stuck in m head for the next three days! :)

[YOUTUBE]A9A4HRzHz5Y[/YOUTUBE]

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
It is an odd color combination, isn't it? The colors don't look quite right in the picture, but they are prototypic. The deck color (red oxide, or close to it) is typical of nearly all lakers, and the blue hull was inspired by the former Voyageur Marine's Martime Trader (below). The first picture is as we saw her, the second shows the color better (picture by Bill Bird).

The Fitz herself will be as close as I can get to her proper Oglebay Norton colors.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Spring 06 Trip 007.jpg
    Spring 06 Trip 007.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 8
  • MarTrader4a.jpg
    MarTrader4a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 8

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
Progress (Sort of)

Finally a few pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. I printed the deck on the wrong thickness of card stock, so the support structure shows through too much. Hopefully that won't be as obvious once the rest of the hatches are in place. I could continue building at this point, but want to fix the design flaws I've uncovered so far first.

Scott K.

Attachments

• Frame 1.jpg
    Frame 1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Frame 2.jpg
    Frame 2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Deck 1.jpg
    Deck 1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Deck 2.jpg
    Deck 2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Bow 1.jpg
    Bow 1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 10
Z

Zathros

Some progress great!! Are you winging this as you go, do you have plans, did you make plans? You know, all the usual questions. It's looking great! :)

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
A little of everything. I got tired of re-printing and re-building the messed-up support sections, so when I found that I hadn't eliminated the last error with it, I just cut and modified as needed.

It's a 2d AutoCad design that I've been working on, on and off, for years. Most of the problems I'm having are from the scale and detail changes, as well as the too large gaps between design and building sessions. The design started out in 1/350, with flat decks. I also scaled it down to 1/700, and modified as necessary. The I was convinced to enlarge it to one of the more popular scales, so I scaled up to 1/250 (there's also an attempt to go up to 1/87 [H.O.] floating around my design files somewhere). Then I decided to add deck camber to the model because of the larger scale. That changed almost EVERYTHING! Some of the problems I'm having now are coming from parts I forgot to modify before printing.

Oh, well. I'll just keep plugging at it, and it'll be done eventually.

I'm glad you like it anyway, design and building errors notwithstanding.

Scott K.

Z

Zathros

The design process is always interesting and there is much to learn from it. Scaling up or down is never as easy as it seems, as you have obviously found out! :)

F131

F131
Mar 27, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Originally from Duluth, MN, I remember being in 3rd grade when this ship went down and how much it effected our community. Your build is looking great.

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
Thanks. I still remember the news reports myself. Since my other active projects have pretty much fizzled out for the moment, it's probably about time I got back to this one. I just found a missing parts sheet, too, so that helps.

Scott K.

Tecumseh

Nov 17, 2012
Very much interested in this project. Is it still in motion especially the HOUSE scale version. Thanks. Mike

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
Funny you should ask about this one now. I just found the foredeck piece, which went missing on me shortly after my last post. I didn't want to have to reprint one, since I have a different printer now, and nothing ever matches.

After the holidays, I'll be clearing a workspace for this one so I can get back to it. The 1/87th may still be in the works, but it's been a real pain, cutting and re-arranging pieces so they can still print on letter or A4.

Scott K.

Tecumseh

Nov 17, 2012
Continuation

Thanks for keeping this in motion. You are certainly creating new things never been done before. Thanks. Mike

Z

Zathros

Darn it, now that song will be stuck in my head for the next 4 days!!:)