• 194.jpg
    194.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 196.jpg
    196.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 189

Art67

Howdy all,

I was arranging some structures etc. on my layout, trying to find what will fit in the given space of the addition I am adding, and thought I would take a few pictures. The carfloat apron and tug are Walthers products from their waterfront series a few years ago. Off in the distance is a Walthers backdrop-which I must say looks pretty convincing in black and white. It is only up temporarily, until I can finish some of the surrounding areas.

Stuart

cnw1961

Stuart, it looks really great in black and white. Especially with the first three pics you have to look twice, to see that it is a model railroad. I looking forward to see your addition.

MilesWestern

Yeah, I must say: WOW!!!! :eek: That's the right stuff! They black and white looks 100% realistic, espically in the first shot!! Wow! keep up the black and white photos, They're probably the best I've ever seen you do! Good job! :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Stuart, the "Rust King", and MORE!...

Stuart:wave:, CRIPES THOSE PICS ARE AWESOME!!!:thumb: :thumb: :D. i am USUALLY NOT one for black and white pics, HOWEVER, i gotta tell you, THOSE look GREAT!!!:thumb: pics 1,2,3 & 6 just slap LOOK REAL to me:thumb::D. if i had not seen your work before, i NEVER would have guessed it was a model;):D. OUTSTANDING WORK Stuart:thumb:, keep posting em! THANKS!:D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Oh yeah, those are great shots! The carfloat apron in particular is super! Very realistic!
Ralph

doctorwayne

Very nice work, Stuart. The black-and-white really sets the mood. I like the shots from the apron too, and the backdrops blend in really well with the b&w. The older style cars don't hurt, either.

Wayne

Art67

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback on the black and white photos. Looking back at them I would have to say the car float apron pictures are some of my favorite Ihave posted. On the downside, the LPP look as if they are otherworldly ghosts in those photos. One of the suprise results turned out to be that old Walthers backdrop I had laying around for what seems like forever. It looks great in black and white. I plan on adding to this thread using the Walthers car float, and featuring some tugboat action as well. Till next time.

Stuart

Pitchwife

Dreamer
MilesWestern said:
Yeah, I must say: WOW!!!! :eek: That's the right stuff! The black and white looks 100% realistic, espically in the first shot!! :thumb:
I have to agree with Miles. It wasn't until the second photo that I realized that they were of a model. Stunning work Stuart. :thumb: :thumb:

mhdishere

Stuart,
Are you by any chance modelling Staten Island, NY? I grew up there, this looks a lot like some of the industrial areas on the Island. The railroad on SI was a subsidiary of B&O, and of course the Morans tugboat is something of a give-away too!

Art67

mhdishere,

Although I am heavily influenced by the area you are referring to in New York, my layout is based on the operations of the B&O around Baltimore harbor. I have often been tempted to model the area in Staten Island {around the St. George Ferry Terminal}, which would allow me to get some CRNJ equipment, but have kept it around my home town's harbor area. The B&O used carfloats pretty extensively at one time in the Baltimore harbor area, shuttling cars from Locust Point to the canton area. The Walthers tugboat is not really correct for my layout as the B&O had their own tugs at one time, and then used the Curtis Bay towing company,which Moran later bought. I chose to loosely model the modern day Moran paint scheme as they currently look at the city pier in Fell's Point, MD. Have a great day.

Stuart

Very Nice photo's. but you said 50 years ago and all the vehicles look to be 1940's, except the VW van (which stands out like a sore thumb), and that's from the 1960's. So which is it? ;)

ezdays

Out AZ way
SteamerFan said:
Very Nice photo's. but you said 50 years ago and all the vehicles look to be 1940's, except the VW van (which stands out like a sore thumb), and that's from the 1960's. So which is it? ;)
There's nothing wrong with having a 40's vintage vehicle in the 50's. As for the VW bus, they were conceived and in production around 1950, so that's as realistic as the rest.

That's some absolutely stunning modeling and picture taking. :thumb: :thumb:

Art67

Steamerfan,

As ezdays pointed out, the VW type 2 on my layout is correct for my layout. The VW bus on my layout is of the split window variety, which was in production from the early 50's to 1967. After 1967, the Bus was outfitted with a one piece front window."Fifty years ago" would date the photos to 1956 if the photos were real, and by that time Volkswagons of all types were very plentiful in the states.

Stuart

Art67

P.S... Vehicles from the 40's were not necessarily scrapped just because they entered a new decade. In fact, in a lot of cases vehicles and machinery were kept in the family or buisness for many, many years and were considered of vital importance and maintenance was carried out by the owners, who handed them down to family etc. This of course was not always the case, but it was indeed before we entered the disposable era of today.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Art67 said:
P.S... Vehicles from the 40's were not necessarily scrapped just because they entered a new decade. In fact, in a lot of cases vehicles and machinery were kept in the family or buisness for many, many years and were considered of vital importance and maintenance was carried out by the owners, who handed them down to family etc. This of course was not always the case, but it was indeed before we entered the disposable era of today.
I grew up in the 40's and 50's and I'll gurantee you there were vehicles on the streets then that dated long before that. We may be in the disposable age, but even today there are many vehicles on the streets that date back to the early 90's and even the 80's, so it still holds true that you can put any previous vintage vehicles or even structures on your layout as long as they're in the right setting. That's why I model "today", no limits as to what I can use.:D :D

abutt

Stuart...I join the others with the compliments, both on your scenery and the B&W shooting. Hate to admit that 50 years seems so long ago...Wife and I were married 52 years ago! Specially interested in your vehicles. I have a lot of trouble getting the "toy" quality out of mine. Also your trucks. They look really good. Who makes them? Do you remember?