The CH arrives on the CSRR

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yes, the Sagaponack Montauk &Cindy's Harbor arrived on the Canyon State rail line yesterday, along with its CEO, Pete (sumpter 250) Juengst and another Gauge guest Ray Marinaccio.

This picture shows Pete, myself and Ray engaging in serious negotiations about right of ways and leasing arrangments.

Don

Attachments

• pete don ray-kit.jpg
    pete don ray-kit.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 124

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
To the layout

Here is another picture of Pete. No, he is not being "laid back", rather he is "laid up" Seems like a quad got the best of Pete and he broke his foot over the weekend while camping out in the Arizona forests. I have to tell you all, Pete does not know how to travel using crutches as well as he can run a steam engine.

Don

Attachments

• pete-foot.jpg
    pete-foot.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 116

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here we see a the passenger express from Dewey, AZ ready to take on passengers at the Santa Maria station, while another consist makes its way into town.

Attachments

• passenger1.jpg
    passenger1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 110

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
One more shot of a layout that is about 25% complets with Pete in the distance.

We had a blast. Pete, Ray and his wife were here for a good five hours. Pete had come to Arizona to drop his daugter off to school, and Ray lives about 80 miles north of us. Pete is continuing his journy to the Grand Canyon on the Grand Canyon RR, then on to the Durango and Silverton route. Wish him the best with a busted foot, it can't be all fun.

Thanks guys, it was a delight to have you here.

Don

Attachments

• longshot.jpg
    longshot.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 113

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Looks like you are having a great deal of fun, always nice to meet new friends after just talking to them on the gauge. Love the idea.
Shamus

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Paul, you are right, it was an exciting day for us all.

One thing that made it even more exiting was the arrival of a diamondback rattle snake on our back patio. You can ask Pete, he was on the other side of the glass door, but he could sense us. In all the excitement, I neglected to take a picture before he was dispached by the local police. The snake made a good lunch for some desert predator.

Don

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
First tell Pete I hope his foot heals quickly! Nice to see Gauge members get together. I spent a day with Pete last Sept. and had a great time (thanks again for the rolling stock Pete! :D ). If any of you are ever out this way give me a shout so we can get together. BTW that snake SHOULD have made you a excellent lunch, they don't really taste like chicken though. :D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tyson,

I think the snake wanted us for lunch, not the other way around. :eek: I have seen turkey vultures flying away with a snake in their beak, and we have a lot of coyotes around so this time we shared.... If it "tases like chicken" why not be safe and eat a chicken? :rolleyes:

Yes, Pete is most generous with his rolling stock. I now have an N scale custom car from Pete's line, and Ray has one in HO that we are both proud to own. :)

We wish Pete well with his busted foot, but he is one determined man and will not be stopped on his mission. Slowed down maybe, but not stopped.....

Don

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Rather than starting a new thread I'll simply reply here. Had a great time at Don's, and was happy that Ray also made it down for the visit. I have to say that for a first layout, Don has done an excellent job. It was an honor to be able to run on the Canyon State Rail Line, and fun to be with such good company.
Yeah, the ankle is broken, the fibula broke right near the lower end. Right foot, accelerator foot, no cruise control, just kind of jammed the broken thing up against the gas pedal, and used the left foot for braking.
Made it to Williams that evening, and took the Grand Canyon Railway up to the canyon.....well, almost. There'd been a rain. and there was a washout, so crutched across the desert for a bit to the tour busses that came to finish the trip. Track crew had the damage repaired and the train was waiting for us, to go back to Williams.
A day on the road to Durango, and the next morning 9:00 AM, got my seat in the parlor car,( they wouldn't let me ride in the cab, so chose to be close to a good drink) and rode the Narrow Gauge up to Silverton. Had lunch and relaxed a bit, then the return trip back to Durango. Next morning, hit the road. Decided to take US 550 north out of Durango, picked up I70 in Grand Junction, to Denver, I76 to the NE corner of Colorado, and I80 back to Illinois. For those who have never seen the San Juan mountains...you gotta see dis place..WOW!
Turned the film in today, will get a CD, and will post some pics as soon as I can. Torommow, I'll go find out how much damage the 2000 mile drive did to the foot, probably won't be dancin' for quite a while. Just hope it's good enough to make Trainfest, in Milwaukee, the second weekend of November.
Thanks Don, and Ray, had a good time there, and your pictures turned out great.
Pete

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Pete, we enjoyed having you and Ray and his wife. I hope we can do it again soon, and maybe we can run trains for more than one minute without a derail or stall. :rolleyes: Yeah, I'm slowly getting the kinks worked out.

Glad you made it back OK. Sorry about the washout, but we need the rain...:)

And thanks again for a car that I will always be proud to run on the CSRR.:D

Don

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Glad to hear you had a good time on the rest of your trip and made it home safely Pete. Bummer about your foot.
As for that washout, can't say they have that on every tour. What are the odds of that happening?
Had a great time, hope to do it again.

Thanks again for the rare addition to my collection.