The Building of the Galactic Fleet

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chadepotts1273, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Chadepotts1273

Chadepotts1273 New Member

I don't quite have any new build pics to post yet, but here is a pic of my Gearz Galactica with a few mini models. :) IMG_0981.JPG
  2. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Great Pic!!!!
  3. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Whoah!! That blew my mind man! That is beautiful!! The Galactica's greeblin' does not look added on, it looks like it should, as part of the ship! Fantastic!! :)
  4. Chadepotts1273

Thanks! This Galactica was one of my first builds. I got into to big of a hurry in my excitement to see it finished & made many mistakes. At this angle though, they're not so visible. I'm working on a space backdrop for taking future 'beauty shots' (as DanBKing put it). "The camera loves you baby,yeah!"-in my best Austin Powers voice. ;)
    DanBKing likes this.
  5. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Excellent! It looks like a VFX shot. :)
    Chadepotts1273 likes this.
  6. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant Moderator

that is very good!
    Chadepotts1273 likes this.
  7. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok, I just finished my Babylon5 station build this evening (one of Jaybat's designs), the clear coat just finished drying & I just had to share a few pics. :)
    spaceagent-9 and Sky Seeker like this.
  8. Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker Well Established Member

Chad,

The B5 station looks great! :Bravo: Like the nice touch of the clear coat. It gives it a glossy finish that's really neat! Does it also act as a preserver?

Thanks for sharing the pics and nice job!:):tank:

Also like your Gearz model of the Galactica with the mini models. Looks sharp and gives a good perspective!Claphands

Sky Seeker
  9. Chadepotts1273

Thanks! :) I really like this particular clear coat. I've tried several & I think I've settled on this one. It spreads very evenly & has a glassy gloss look. I think it will preserve the models very well, but only time will truly tell. I don't know if it's really made for paper, but it's worked great for me so far. Here's a pic of it.

Attached Files:

10. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I am a devout Bab5 fan. The show was so far ahead of it's time. It used Newtonian physics. You really saw a ship flies through ship. Star Wars and Star Trek forever screwed that up.

There was a great game called "Babylong 5: Danger and Opportunity", kind of hard to find no, but if you can, download it. You will find yourself flying a Starfury with Newtonian physics, traveling through Hyperspace, and engaging in babbles that will really test your skill, docking with Nova Class ships, Space Stations, quite incredible. I found it hard to believe this game was free. I still have not found a game that compares to this. ;)
  11. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant Moderator

I like that model, and you did a great job on it!!!
  12. Chadepotts1273

You're right about the physics on the B5 series, guess I never paid much attention to it before. I couldn't find an available download for the game you mentioned, but I did see some YouTube video of some of the gameplay & it looks like it would be really fun to play. I'll keep looking. :)
  13. Chadepotts1273

Thank you Spaceagent-9, it was a lot of fun to build! :)
  14. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

15. Chadepotts1273

Thank you, I appreciate that! :)
  16. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok, I'm finally getting serious about resuming work on the 3 foot Galactica. I've held off because I've had a lot to learn on better paper modeling techniques. But now, ( thanks to some good tips from Zathros & a few others), I think I feel very confident proceeding with this model build. Here are a few pics of the upper bridge section. I've done some more greebling on the port side this evening with some panels & a piece on the very front. It may not look like much now, but I'm hoping that every little bit of greebling texture I can add will add to the overall beauty of this model. ( this one's my baby :)
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  17. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg image.jpg View attachment 147861 View attachment 147861 Here are some pics of the mid & lower bridge section. For the mid section I used foamboard instead of the supports provided in the template ( may I be forgiven) It is pretty sturdy though. I'm almost through buttoning up the lower bridge section. Then I only need to install the guns, on both the mid & lower sections.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  18. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This is the beginning of the lower center section of this model. Very clear instructions are provided with this model, & they say do not glue the 3 bridge sections ( upper, mid, & lower) until the center section & engine section are completed. I haven't posted many build pics of the bridge section, but starting with this center section, I am really trying ( bear with me please), to post more step by step progress pics.
  19. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg Here is a diagram (provided in the instructions), of how the various sections fit together.
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  20. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg This is a pic of the finished 3 foot Galactica. ( this build was done by Stephen Irl ) I look at it regularly for reference & for inspiration. I only hope that my build turns out half as good . :robot2::robot1::tank:
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.