The Building of the Galactic Fleet

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chadepotts1273, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Chadepotts1273

Chadepotts1273 New Member

Hey everyone, I haven't had any progress on the Geminon Traveler in the past few days, though I am trying to finish it this week. Hope to post the finished pics soon. I may not be posting much in the next few weeks. I am in the process of a major house remodel & will be moving, hopefully within the next 6 weeks. Anyway, we've already shut down our internet service to our current house, & it will likely be a few more weeks before we reconnect at our next residence ( which is our old house, the remodel). I've been working on a space background ( one of several, I hope) for 'glamour shots' of various ships. I took my 'Jaybat's Galactica down from the ceiling so she could model for me a bit & play around with the new background. It is experimental, there is a nebula partially made of cotton in the upper right corner. & a few comets, which were unintentional. I tilted the whole thing before the paint was dry & it ran. My daughter said they look like comets. The cotton nebulae in the middle pic may look a bit cheesy. Anyway, it is a first, rough draft. I thought I'd share these pics via the Hot Spot on my son's phone. Hope you enjoy & hope to be back soon. :) image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    bgt01, zathros, Rhaven Blaack and 3 others like this.
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

This thread should be renamed "The Galactic fleet of "Battlestar Galactica" :)
  3. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

finally caught up enough on checking out your pics here, looking real good! you are building excellently and capturing the feel of the shows!
  4. zathros

Great pictures! :)
  5. Chadepotts1273

Thank you for that spaceagent-9! I sincerely hope you are feeling better, & I am happy to see you back with us!
  6. Chadepotts1273

Thanks Zathros! Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind that the name of this thread would at some point sound a bit silly. When I first started it, I guess I was drawing a blank for an original thread name, thus Beginnings. I am still in the beginning phases of the fleet, only having built 5 ships ( counting Geminon Traveler, almost finished) the Colonial shuttle, & 1 mini- viper so far. They are only a small fraction of the fleet ships available to build. But, I have wondered what I would do when I get to perhaps the halfway point in my fleet builds or further? Should I maybe start a new thread? Or as you suggest, rename this one? I honestly didn't know if I would even get this far. :)
    zathros and Sky Seeker like this.
  7. Chadepotts1273

I'm almost finished with the Geminon Traveler, I am currently very patiently working with the smaller parts to finish it, & will post some pics soon. In the meantime, I have started working on Revell-Fan's Colonial Movers ship. Thought I'd add some color to the fleet.I opted for the smaller version this time around( there are 2 that I've found,medium & big)I will cut some of the tabs, but not all of them for this particular build. The instructions that accompany the model are pretty straightforward, but I will do my best to explain it as I go. :) Here are a few beginning pics of the nose & head. From left to right; part 7, wrapped with part 9. Part 10.part 8. Part 11a, & part 13. image.jpg
    bgt01 likes this.
  8. Chadepotts1273

image.jpg image.jpg Part 7, wrapped in part 9, then faced with part 10. Then wrapped with part 8 to complete the nose. For the head, part 11a is formed into a cone, part 13 into a tube, then 11a is glued into part 13.
    bgt01 likes this.
  9. Chadepotts1273

Then the nose is glued to the head. That is as far as I've gotten this evening. Will post more progress pics soon. :) image.jpg
    bgt01, Sky Seeker, zathros and 2 others like this.
  10. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You are off to a good start. Just remember, this one has a great deal of greeble potential!
  11. Chadepotts1273

Just a few more progress pics. First, some sensors, or guns, I'm not sure which. Whatever you wish them to be I suppose.:) Anyway, they were so small, I had to print them on thin copy paper. Then, I glued & rolled them with a straight pin. The pic shows the approximate positioning. How to roll them is explained very well with the model instructions. The second pic is the base for the communications array, & the third & fourth pics of the completed communications array. The upper parts I first printed on card paper, but it proved too difficult. So, I printed them again on thin copy paper, &,found them much easier to work with. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  12. Chadepotts1273

I was having some "dimpling" issues in the bow section, & having difficulty getting the seams to line up right for me. So, I started making my own "panels" to cover the bow mid-seam. The pic doesn't really do it justice though. It looked much worse before. image.jpg
  13. Rhaven Blaack

It looks really good!
    You are greebling is coming along nicely.
  14. Chadepotts1273

Thank you Rhaven Blaack! I haven't been able to work on her much in the past few weeks, just nibbling here & there where I can. The bow section won't be as presentable as I would prefer, but I'm very happy with the way the mid & back half turned out. :)
  15. THE DC

THE DC Member

Its funny, your build is so tight that I don't realize how small these kits are until you show your fingers in the pic, then - WOW!
  16. Rhaven Blaack

I fully understand. I had to take my laptop in (which holds the templates and instructions for the model that I am working on) to have it clean out (and hopefully add more memory).

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
    Chadepotts1273 likes this.
  17. Chadepotts1273

I thank you for that! :) Unfortunately, my chubby, arthritic fingers sometimes make it extremely difficult to work on the smaller parts.:headbange: I have however received some very good advice from my fellow Zealots on how best to use straight pins, nails & tweezers as well as a great deal of patience in getting these smaller parts put together. :)
  18. Chadepotts1273

Here is a teaser "Glamour shot" of the almost finished model, with another space background I've been experimenting with. More to come soon! :) image.jpg
    bgt01, Sky Seeker, zathros and 2 others like this.
  19. zathros

Man, you really are building the whole fleet!! Amazing!!
  20. THE DC

THE DC Member

The results look like that from surgeon's fingers! Great thread.

Cant wait to see your return to the Excelsior. Please have a lot of pics with your planning depicted.

Slainte~