The Bonnie

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Rick Thomson, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Does this drawing mean anything to anyone here?

If so, do you feel up to the challenge?

You will have my everlasting gratitude, and the beer will be on me should you ever visit my area.

Attached Files:

2. Triop

Triop Member

I'm still dizzzzy...:lol:
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

/Pewps self!

Yeah I would say if anything it means A LOT to me!!!

I am going to be volunteering at the Shearwater Air Museum and this year is the 50th anniversary of the Bonnie. My Uncle served on her and was part of the original crew that went overseas to pick her up.

My only question is ... since these are crossections of the hull. How far apart are they and would a side on section be required?
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Doh...Crossections of the hull...hit's self about the head. I was looking at this drawing in the Bonnie Book (which I ordered from the SAM) and thinking to myself "what the hell is this supposed to be?" Then the bright idea hit me that someone here would have a clue.

Having just checked the book, I see that there is a drawing of the ship's profile, and one of something called the Datum deck which is Deck Nr. 4. I expect that you can figure out where the crossections would go from those.

PM me with your email addy if you want them. There are also some fairly nice colour plates of the Bonnie from the side and from above which would likely be helpful.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ok ... as I figured the datum does not match the referenced hull sections.

If the hull sections were say... taken every 20' or so this would make some sense. I have a feeling there HAS to be some actual naval drafting drawings for this, rolled up somewhere in the dockyards across the way. =\
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Well, I suppose it just couldn't be easy could it?

I notice that there are some figures beside each contour line, these likely give you where to put that crossection, but I can't quite make them out at 200 dpi. I'll try scanning again at a higher resolution.
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I can read em... not sure what the heck they are for lol.

Anyways... I dont expect the whole work to be super precise as we are looking at details bing worked out to what ... 1:200-1:400?

Personally... I'd go with a JSC level of quality and scale. This way all my mistakes can easily be hidden. =)
  8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I wonder if Harland and Wolff would have some plans they would be willing to share?
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

tried another stab at the hull again last night with no sucess ... i am wondering if it's 'allowable' to essentially fake the whole deal. Personally I'd like to see this as a high end kit with regards to information available but I am getting somewhat distrought over the fact that the very easy part of the project has become a initial nightmare.

Until I can get a vehicle to run around with this is gonna get shelved I think.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

tried another stab at the hull again last night with no sucess ... i am wondering if it's 'allowable' to essentially fake the whole deal. Personally I'd like to see this as a high end kit with regards to information available but I am getting somewhat distrought over the fact that the very easy part of the project has become a initial nightmare.

Until I can get a vehicle to run around with this is gonna get shelved I think.
  11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Steve,

You might check this out. Scroll down abit until you see the Bonnie with a bunch of Trackers on the deck.

http://www.canmilair.com/gallery.htm

I wonder if they might be willing to share?
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Steve,

You might check this out. Scroll down abit until you see the Bonnie with a bunch of Trackers on the deck.

http://www.canmilair.com/gallery.htm

I wonder if they might be willing to share?
  13. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

14. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Neat! I wonder if they created the hull the way I think I am going to...

'Sheer FUDGING of details'
  16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Neat! I wonder if they created the hull the way I think I am going to...

'Sheer FUDGING of details'
  17. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

You might want to try a PM to Jim Krauzlis or Chris Coyle. They are both wooden model shipbuilders and might be able to help you decipher the plans. Good luck!

Elliott :)
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

You might want to try a PM to Jim Krauzlis or Chris Coyle. They are both wooden model shipbuilders and might be able to help you decipher the plans. Good luck!

Elliott :)
  19. beejay

beejay Member

Hello StevO,
    You probably already know that the RN Colossus Class and Majestic Class Light Fleet Carriers were externally nearly identical and there is a card model of the Colossus Class available, I think by Maly Modelartz, of the French Arromanches, formerly HMS Colossus
    VBR
    beejay
  20. beejay

beejay Member

Hello StevO,
    You probably already know that the RN Colossus Class and Majestic Class Light Fleet Carriers were externally nearly identical and there is a card model of the Colossus Class available, I think by Maly Modelartz, of the French Arromanches, formerly HMS Colossus
    VBR
    beejay