The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Model Railroading' started by Doctor G, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

I have wanted to build this layout for a very long time. I have enjoyed On30 for about 10 years now. I have built two mini layouts that have graced the electronic pages of this fine site for quite some time. A sugar cane hauler set in 1920 Haiti and a primitive backwoods logging operation set in 1910 Kentucky and Tennessee.

But the ET &WNC RR ,”Tweetsie” has always held a special place in my model railroading heart. When Bachmann came out with their magnificent Baldwin 10 wheelers I was ready to do a medium sized layout in On30!!

So I moved a storage building in to the backyard and made my move to turn dreams in to reality. I have been reading everything I can on the prototype and joined the ET&WNC RR historical society. I live in Tennessee and Johnson City and the Doe River Gorge is not that far away. So field exploration is in the near future.

I got two of the beautiful locomotives and started to take the plunge in building up rolling stock. Here is my first go at equipment…… the parlor car #10 “Azalea”.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Bachmann On30 coach provided the donor mechanism and hardware and roof. The very nice laser wooden kit from Deerfield Laser was chosen to build up the coach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I scoured the internet trying to find the colors used on Tweetsie Varnish and used some gloss rattle can paints to do up my rendition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well it at least an approximation of the colors I think they used.[​IMG]

I really enjoyed this shot from the prototype photos.....

[​IMG]

......so I found some O scale chairs and had a go at recreating the little scene.

[​IMG]

Here is a "topside" view of the fabric roof.

[​IMG]

The actual layout is still in the planning stages and while rolling stock is accumulated a Porter on the mini logging layout will shuffle cars around for pictures.

[​IMG]

So here is what is coming in hopefully the near future:

Iain Rice's nifty book "Shelf Layouts for Model Rail Roads has this plan for the ET&WNC in On30 that should fit nicely in the storage building out back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So thanks for looking and hopefully you all can follow along as this adventure begins.

[​IMG]

Doc Tom
    zathros and swampdaddy41 like this.
  2. swampdaddy41

swampdaddy41 New Member

Amazing work here. Love the old photos as well.

Have fun modeling, Swamp Daddy
  3. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Wow! That sounds awesome, I hope you load up lots of pics!! One of the shed too! :)
  4. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thanks Swamp Daddy and Zathros. I do en joy getting in to the old photos as part of research. Here is the train house I dragged in to the back yard to build the new layout.
    [​IMG]

Doc Tom
    swampdaddy41 likes this.
  5. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I may be building a 10' x 12' shed, I have a 16' x 24' two story Gambrel roofed barn, but my shop is in there. If I built a shed that nice, my wife would stake an instant claim to it, a "she-shed". :yesyes:
  6. swampdaddy41

swampdaddy41 New Member

That shed will make an excellent layout "room". Be sure to add heat and air before you start the layout benchwork.

Have fun modeling, Swamp Daddy
  7. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Hi. Heating, cooling,track lighting, sheetrock, work bench all installed.........ready for some modelling.

Doc Tom
    Gandolf50 likes this.