The best (worst) camp site ever!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Once when I was a Boy Scout our troop was permitted to camp in a wooded area on a local farmer's property. It was close to the Penn Central line on the west side of the Hudson River in Upstate NY. It was great watching trains go by during the day, but after midnight the frequent freights made sleeping impossible. The camp site wasn't quite this close, but at night it sure seemed that way! :eek:
Ralph

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 168

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Reminds me of camping at Lake Louise Alberta right next to the CP main line. As many as six trains a night and they had to deafen us with a blasting horn as there was a level crossing close by. The best part was the echo rebounding from the mountains. Absolutely awesome. One of the best sounds on earth. Sleep? Who needs it. Just like the guy in the new James Bond flick.
Nice campground Ralph

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
We took our layouts to a NMRA regional meet in Bakersfield,CA one time. My friend stayed in his motorhome behind the hall right next to the BNSF/UP mainline that leads to the world famous Tehachapi Loop. I unfortunately stayed at a friends house. He didn't sleep much either, too busy jumping up to see each freight go by.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ralph, Thats one hell of a nice scene with the Scout camp, reminds me also of camping when I was a Scout master/Rover Scout back in the early 1940's (Too damn far back really)
Great idea that.

Shamus
wink.gif

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Excellent! I was too busy doing, erm, uh, good deeds all night to sleep. At least until the police figured out who was doin it. I was a scout masters nightmare. What fun! "Stringin cans" you'll know what it means if you've done it. We got a blue boy, small town cop. Had to hide in the river! :D :D :D I can "see" Shamus shaking his head as he reads this.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I like the camp site.

When I was a young pup my friends and I would do the yelping dog joke.

To think back at what we did the the local town folk, its a wonder we didn't get shot or worse.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I stayed in a site similar to this one at a RV park in northern Arkansas. The train was overhead on a steel girder trestle at the end of the campground - about 50 ft from the last site on he lot.

Noise every hour.:( :( :(