The best brand of track???

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by O_HO_Nfanatic, Mar 11, 2005.

1. O_HO_Nfanatic

O_HO_Nfanatic New Member

Hey!
    I have a large collection of O/O-27 trains. I don't set them up much. I defer to Ngauge as a hobby due to space constraints. But in the last year I have become more "fanatical" about my O trains and continue to buy more. I keep putting them away for a rainy day. My collection spans from 1950's Lionel to newer MTH and AtlasO types. I just buy and display... Meanwhile, should I happen to get a wild hair up my butt to do a layout; what is the best brand of track going nowadays? With my collection, I only have two kinds both are old post war Lionel. The obvious all metal three rail type and another older Linel type with three rails and plastic ties. I see a lot of newer and better looking stuff out there. Any suggestions and why would be helpful. I concern myself mostly with Lionel Fastrac and AtlasO. If you have used them, what is you opinion? I have to stick with three rail due to older engines which require it. If there are other brands out there, feel free to share the info.

Thanks,
    Brian

Thanks
  2. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I like the lionel track
  3. genophillipe

genophillipe New Member

I use the Fastrack and have had no problems. I just changed out all my curves and switches from O36 to O72, and now I can run just about anything. I did add ballast to hide the screw holes, but I think it looks great right out of the box. Electrically nice and simple(although most 3 rail track is). If you have the room make your curves/switches O72, all the track components are now available. Good luck!
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Personal prefrence is the Atlas O track. It lacks the molded on road bed, but the rails are solid and shaped properly. :D

Greg
  5. O_HO_Nfanatic

O_HO_Nfanatic New Member

Thanks for the info! i think I am going to try both brands of track. I will set up a simple oval with two switches. I will keep and add upon the winner and sell the loser on ebay.
    genophillipe,
    I plan to go O72. I keep eyeing some of these high-end, 4 digit priced, really long steam locos. It's only a matter of time before I cave in and buy one.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Brian:
    I suspect the older 3-rail track with plastic ties is Super-O. Lionel brought that out in the late 50s. It has a brass (?) strip down the centre for a third rail. Had separate connectors for the 3rd rail which tended to get lost.
    Fastrack has transition sections to the old O gauge track, but not the O-27 (smaller rails & ties).