The B&MC's newest vehicle....

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Due to all the comments coming in about the B&MC R.R.'s newest piece of motive power, I figured I'd run these pics of her up close and personal.

Attachments

• D2rocket2.JPG
    D2rocket2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 193

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The booster engine came from a scrap box find at a yard sale. The rest is history ;)

I'm as serious a modeler as most anyone in this hobby. I cut my teeth on the work of John Allen, Lynn Westcott, Bill McClanahan and others. The model pikes had names like The Erie Lacawampum, Chucklehead and Ticklefoot and the great Gorre and Daphetid. The was a seriousness to the craft but also a measure of whimsy, the idea and ability to create the outlandish within the realm of the plausible. John Allen's Ol' #13, the switcher/stegasaurus comes to mind.

Attachments

• D3rocket2.JPG
    D3rocket2.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 191

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The motor was painted black then silver and gold were dry brushed on for the pewter effect.

It blesses me that you folks enjoy that measure of whimsy I bring to The Gauge. I love the hobby and enjoy passing it on to the next generation of modelers. I just bring that brand of whimsy that I was brought up on and hope that it has the desired effect. I enjoy the work I see on this forum and hope to inspire and be inspired for a long time to come.

Attachments

• D4rocket2.JPG
    D4rocket2.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 200

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Fantastic as usual Shaygetz.

I enjoy the little "easter eggs" , to use a computing term for little hidden extras, that you come up with. You should get a shot of all your little whimsical bits like this and make a sort of "family photo" of them all .

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Shaygetz, now this is a big step forward in the development of MofW machinery!

Bubba and Billy Joe Ray Bob, the shop rats wil have the kick of their life (literally! :D) when they make their first test run. Too bad that it will be a very short one - judging from the size of the fuel and liquid oxygen tanks the acceleration phase will last about 1.756332 seconds! :eek: :eek: :eek:

However this will suffice for them to shoot them into the books of railroad history! :D :D :D

Ron

PS: I love this little contraption - a brilliant idea! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Very innovative Shaygetz, reminds me of the NYC experimenting with jet engines in the sixties. Nice model!:thumb::thumb: What's it's top speed??????:eek:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Chessie1973 said:
You should get a shot of all your little whimsical bits like this and make a sort of "family photo" of them all .

Aye, the trick is to let it out a wee bit at a time, too much and folks tire of it quickly ;)

Thanks, guys, I find these little deviations in the hobby road keep me fresh and thinking of new projects with a more serious tone to them.

CN1

May 6, 2003
shaygetz this is a cool vehicle! :cool: :D
I like it a lot. Nicely done :thumb: :thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I think you can build anything on rails and you'll find a prototype for it. Here is an example of a jet equipped little critter (of Conrail fame).

However, I think in a race your rocket thingy would win hands down, Shaygetz! :D :D :D

Ron

PS: Just for the few serious modelers still lurking around :eek: :D :wave: : Of course the real thing didn't use the jet engine for propulsion; they used it in the winter to melt ice and blow the snow out of the tracks.

Attachments

• JetBlower.jpg
    JetBlower.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 67