The Ash Creek Lumber Co.

Well, here it is! The Ash Creek Lumber Co.

Twenty years ago, when I built my first 4X8 layout, it was just that, cork roadbed, a couple of switches and plastic structures. That was it! Sure I ran trains for a couple of weeks, took a few 110 photos, (which I won't show here!!), But that was it, no inspiration. But I knew that I wanted to model a railway, or a portion thereof.

Then about 10 months ago, I visited the (old) Badger Creek Lumber Co, and WOW, I was inspired!! Shamus made it all sound so easy. Just 3 or 4 easy steps, and voila, instant success!! Well I had to try it again, now, for sure.

Since that first visit to the Badger Creek, I have scratch built my first structure (and a couple since), made my own Big (and small) trees, (actually they are all scratch built except three, can you tell which three?). I have scratch built Ash Creeks four flat cars and I am working on a simple car card and way bill system for the McCloud River Railroad!

I'd like to personally thank you Paul........ for I was truly inspired!!

Enjoy...

Attachments

• ash creek over view 955.jpg
    ash creek over view 955.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 256

satokuma

Very nice....keep the pictures coming of the McCloud River RR....

BTW...where is this McCloud located...freelance? Do like the trees...is it HO?

jon-monon

Hey Drew, I really like the way it seems to be in harmony with the brick and the panneling; without a backdrop. It just fits right in. Nice modeling. Looks like Shamus had quite an influence! Rock on.

Originally posted by satokuma
Very nice....keep the pictures coming of the McCloud River RR....

BTW...where is this McCloud located...freelance? Do like the trees...is it HO?

Thanks satokuma, the McCloud River is in Northern California! I have had the oportunity to visit there twice. It is beautiful country!! The "Ash Creek Mill" was about a mile north of McCloud between 1900 and 1903. I have post dated every thing to about 1920-1930!!

Yes it is all HO.

Drew

Originally posted by jon-monon
Hey Drew, I really like the way it seems to be in harmony with the brick and the panneling; without a backdrop. It just fits right in. Nice modeling. Looks like Shamus had quite an influence! Rock on.

Yup Jon, Shamus had quite the influence for sure. It was the first time that I had seen any thing like that, with instructions that made it sound so simple to do!!

And yea, the pine panelling did come from the Ash Creek Saw mill!!:rolleyes: :D :D :D

Drew

Drew, super modelling and photos!!
I've just realised that a small layout allows time for the kind of detail you've put into yours. It all looks so natural. Your flat cars look great too, well done.

Just one question ..... is that a hotel with the balcony or a house of pleasure ? ..:D :D

And yes, Shamus has influenced us no end as has so many other talented modellers in this forum.

Errol

Originally posted by kettlestack
Drew, super modelling and photos!!
I've just realised that a small layout allows time for the kind of detail you've put into yours. It all looks so natural. Your flat cars look great too, well done.

Just one question ..... is that a hotel with the balcony or a house of pleasure ? ..:D :D

And yes, Shamus has influenced us no end as has so many other talented modellers in this forum.

Errol

Thanks Errol, well as the pictures would indicate, they sell whiskey,(cheap) on the main floor and there is a couple of women on the top floor, I guess you could figure, what goes in, must go up!!!

But actually, the Bartle House (the two story green house in the fore ground) was probably the house of worse repute!! The story goes that it never made any money, but the railroad was pretty eager to own and operate it!

And speaking of detail, I'm really not close to being done yet, heck, there isn't even any power lines, or clothes lines, up yet!! I still have about twenty different animals to install, two more car/trucks to build and install, not to mention about 40-50 more people. I've got two more sets of Kadee 501 trucks to use, so I'll need to build a couple more cars. I think it will have to be a type of car that the mill would use (it's my only customer);) And I've yet to recieve all the rigging components I ordered for the donkey. In the end, it will be hauling a log from 'up and over' the tracks cool:

And I still want to add more trees, but then the picture taking abilities gets worse:eek:

Drew

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Drew,
Excellent looking photographs my friend and some great modelling also. Where is that sweet looking flat with the barrel stand, the water tank and the ballast box? got to see that in here friend.
I think we should do an exchange on your layout with Badger Creek:cool:

Shamus
wink.gif