The airplane i made for design class! JAW Terra Firma!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Jimi, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Jimi

Jimi Member

Im quite sorry for i only got to photograph the thing that took me two months to build just now. I also would really like to apologize for the really poor shots. since i dont have a digicam, i photographed the plane using an ordinary camera and had the pictures scanned after i had it developed. to make matters worse, I do intend to show you guys how i "stitched" the windshield of my plane (which is photocopier acetate). which is a very neat method without the use of adhesives. but the shots were quite horrible. i'll probably edit the pics and try my best to show it when i get some free time..

Anyway, this is my plane. I designed i as a utility plane that works close to the ground hence the name, Terra Firma. I really did plan to make the paint scheme of the plane to look aggresive and sporty. but it changed after i got to contact a friend of mine after 5 years (too bad, she's in shanghai right now) who's taking up medicine. So it turned into a red cross bushplane/ medevac plane. The registration numbers on the plane is ZS-JAL which is also quite special. ZS (south africa) and JAL (which stands for JAmes and ALice combined). hehehe..

I do have to thank you guys for all the help! And more so, for reviving my interest in cardmodeling again. Before, i viewed my cardmodeling more as a "skill" which i only do if im needed to make one. I'll probably design a scale model of the plane i had a lot of really fun memories when i was a kid after i get some free time (dad once flew Philippine Airlines' Fokker 50 for two years before being assigned to Boeing 737-300's until 1998. he tranferred to Cebu Pacific Air after the pilot's strike and now flies DC-9's).

anyway, here's my plane.
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Blimey another designer. Effective and a civilian kite as well.

barry
  3. Jimi

Jimi Member

the view from the top. the plane at the lower right is the "unfinished Macchi". An mc205 veltro i quit building 4 years ago.
  4. Jimi

Jimi Member

the poor view of the nose. when i was in the design phase, i had the choice between two cowlings. the traditional one (the one with an offset air intake) and the fiberglass one (which makes the six cylinder LOM- Walter M337ce look more like a turboprop engine) I chose the offset air intake more because of looks. quite intriguing..
  5. Jimi

Jimi Member

a view of the underside. at the right is a model i made 5 years ago. i was a college freshman then at airlink. and luckily, i was chosen as a draftsman when one of the senior students saw me making a section drawing of a ME-110 at school! it was for the planned OV-10 bronco COIN aircraft replacement. unfortunately, the project came to a halt. And the head of the bureau got shot in the NAIA tower after a rumored coup attempt. last year.. Cant speak more bout that. :?
  6. Jimi

Jimi Member

a shot of some of the planes that i just displayed in my room. at the left, my design. on the middle is the ultrawacky mercenaric F-16 falcon complete with gnarly logos and MTV stickers! (oddly enough, it's the one that got me into cardmodeling). I recieved it as a gift from my cousin's ex boyfriend. and on the right, the aborted COIN plane.
  7. Jimi

Jimi Member

Honey i shrunk the plane! the most decent shot..
  8. Jimi

Jimi Member

perspective
  9. Jimi

Jimi Member

perspective
  10. Huey

Huey Member

Hi Jimi,

thats a cool model! scratch built i suppose, which is easy for an areonautics student like you. would be nice to see you design and build a Boeing 747 "Megatop" (Singapore Airline). I have yet to see a real decent model on any thread in any of the other card model forums. great work!

regards,
    Huey
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Jimi,

Nice work! Waiting for how you "stitched" the windshield on. Cardmodeling design is a great way to test out and improve design skills...., you're now on to bigger and better designs....,

Best regards, Gil
  12. Jimi

Jimi Member

thanks guys.. :D oh yeah, the scale of this plane is a bit unconventional (1:30). I want to make the scale a bit standard like 1:33 but it's the requirement of the instructor. id try to show you the stitching method on how i did it when i get some free time (tough to be a graduating student). anyway, i'd want to make a model of this plane that's bugging my conscience. had a lot of fun memories in this plane (i mean a lot). the good thing is, dad has training manuals of this plane at home. and included are 3 views, cutaways, details etc.. though, i know, it will be difficult. I still have a lot to learn.. both in designing and building.
  13. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

g8 model dude
    realy nice work

ther is a palce thet we can order this one u disighn?

realy ampresiv work
  14. Jimi

Jimi Member

umm, yaniv, the plane is 100% scratchbuilt. and yup. it's my very own design. though it would be really nice if i can post plans of my plane (i would love to share it with others), the design has a lot of faults in it (wrong scale on some, some parts fit poorly, and items like the tires, landing gear assembly, interior, control sticks, stub antennas, and rudder pedals, i did using a small drauhting table and to save time and maximize the use of scrap paper). the print format of this plane is in autocad.
  15. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i think thet all the model is from paper :)