The African Queen full hull version

blake7

I hinted around about designing a boat on my "4x4 off road add on" thread. Well this is the boat! I know
Oliver Bizer is also designing an African Queen, but going by the parts he post his version looks like it will be a water line version. I have talked to him to see if he would be mad. He said he isn't mad, and I sent him pictures of what I done so far. He liked it a lot! I used MS Paint, and Gimp to design. I really like the wood textures in Gimp. Below is a picture of a wooden version that I based my design on.

BB588 African Queen_Instruction1.jpg

blake7

I found out that I needed a support for the open triangle space in the front of the boat, but I forgot to take a picture. Next the board that goes around the inside top. Next the top deck glued to a sprite box. The mast is in the picture too.

27.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg 32.jpg

blake7

Now for 20 small parts that go under the board that is around the inside top, and the 4 boards that go round the inside edge of the top deck.

41.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg 45.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 1

blake7

The steam engine is the only thing left to do. My printer is very low on ink, and some of the parts for the engine is pale. I started building the engine on a rejected hull to see what needs modified.

56.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Nice job on your "African Queen". I have a link to man pictures of the original ship being restored. It had a little bit more of a wetted surface, being a full displacement boat, but yours looks great.!! The engine will make all the difference. It was a small steam engine with a large boiler and stack. You only needed enough to keep the proper turning at max revolutions. The pics in the gallery below should help you finish her off accurately. The engine will be most interesting to see.

The sheep had a steel hull. It would have never lasted as long if it was wooden. :)

http://africanqueenflkeys.com/restoration-gallery.html

African Queen 1.jpg African Queen 2.jpg

the-engine-on-the-african.jpg Unrestored AQ Steam Engine.jpg

blake7

Thanks for the reference pictures zathros, but mine is based on the wooden model you can buy if your willing to spend $150-$200. The engine will look close to this one.
bil588b.JPG

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This looks awesome! Thank you very much for posting this. I'm sure there will be many fans building this. :)

blake7

My model is 9inch long, 2inch at back, 2 and 1/2 inch at widest, and 2inch high not including mast or canopy. I read the real one was 28 or 30ft long, which make mine 1/37 or 1/40 scale.