Thanx to you Guys ...

raybanduchi

Nov 14, 2006
SC
I've got an idea as to what I want to do. Yard scene, with at least a couple o'switches, mountain pass, with a log run (alternate trax in big ovals) or two to show off the goods.

What's the next step? Planning? do I use a book, computer software? paper & pencil. where do I learn about the electricity stuff?
Thanx,

raybanduchi

Nov 14, 2006
SC
C'mon some o' you guys ...

should know the answer these questions.

What's the next step? Planning? do I use a book, computer software? paper & pencil. where do I learn about the electricity stuff?

Thanx,
Moi!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ray: there's enough books out there, you could go bankrupt.
I suggest you check out the Kalmbach book line. (www.trains.com) and look for books by John Armstrong (Creative Layout Design, Track Planning for Model railroads). Model railroad Benchwork by Linn Westcott. Scenery by McClanahan or Mclannan. Wiring books or Model railroad electrics.
There are track planning programs, but they're more for fitting track after you get an idea, if you plan to use pre-fab track.
Most of us use pencil and paper. Some of us (not me) build models of the model railroad.
Read through the track planning threads on the gauge. Then you can check the technical thread for all our opinions on wiring. Look as nazgul's thread on "it's my first attempt".

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I humbly suggest sites like mine that have info and links to FREE information. Lots of free stuff out there to help you get started.
Anyhow, pop on over and have a look see.
I suggest pencil and paper then make a model like John Allen and the other greats did and do.
I figure they did an excellent job so why not do what they did eh?
That's just my opinion though.
:)