thanks to the gauge`ers:but

ausien

First of all I would like to thank all the members of the GAUGE, for all the help and information you have given to me.

But I find myself in a position of asking for you all to do it again, everything that was sent to me was saved on my hard drive on my pc, and that died and I lost every thing nearly 70 gig of files and information. so if you are one of the many people that sent me pix, information, plans, drawings, links ect, ect would you, could you, please send it to me once more. you can just PM me or email me on

mugsville@iprimus.com.au Have a good one..steve

rcline

Steve, that was a really bad streak of bad luck, I hope that you can get everything back again. Brenda says that I'm nuts, everything that I find to keep, I burn it straight to cd's. My hard drive is still empty to say, but let tell you about my stack of cd's.
Good Luck!
Randy

northern_blues

Ausien,

I don't like to be the one to state the obvious, but I manage a software company call center team for a very large software company and we get an alarming number of support calls for companies that do not have current backups of their data and risk considerable losses.

So I definitely am sympathetic to what happened to your hard drive, but I would like to suggest that you implement a strategy to automate backups of your data to another medium such as burning the data to a CD or, if you have more than one hard drive on your computer, at least copying data files and folders to a reserved save area on another drive or computer.

I suggest it only because I have seen so many occurrences of customers losing data and it is a shame.

-Dave

CalFlash

My PC died around Christmas time so I ordered a new one. I was able to take out the hard drives (I had 2 on the old 'puter) and install them one at a time as a second drive on the new 'puter. Thay way I was able to copy almost everything from the old one. Of course, I had to reinstall programs and settings but was even able to save macros I had for Excel and Word and templates I had for CorelDraw.

ausien

Unfortunetly for me the drive had 14 I/O errors on it and the contents could not be retrieved, even by an expert in the field, he ran dienogstic`s on the drive, found the folders but not the files. it went in a big way, or as we say here (it went to god in a hurry)....have a good one..steve

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thats tough Ausien. I used an IOMEGA zip drive to store all my website files. To my chagrine, it failed and I lost everything. I guess I should have kept a copy on my HD too but thought the zip drive was a safe place as it was portable.