Thanks for your help with spam control

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just a note to thank all of you who have been reporting spam to us when you see it. :thumb:There may not be a mod or administrator on the forum at the time and the faster we know about a spam post, the quicker we can deal with it. We may not acknowledge your reporting it to us, but we do appreciate it. :wave: Spammers have been getting more and more clever and now have been adding posts to existing threads so sometimes even when we're here, they are hard to find right off the bat. We have had to lock threads in the past because of this since they seem to pick on certain threads.

In case you aren't aware, you can report a post be it spam or otherwise something offensive, by simply clicking on the "report post" icon in the lower left corner of any post here. When you do, an email is sent to the forum mod(s) and the administrators.

Just for your information, we have been isolating spammers when we find them so they can no longer post here. Since August of last year, we have isolated over 400 of them and either banned them outright or in some cases, monitoring them as they post.

So, if there are any spammers reading this, just go away, you don't stand a chance with this group of fine modelers and outstanding people.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
ezdays: Last night I tried to report a spam message and the "report post' icon was missing from the lower left corner of the page. Anything significant in that?

CNW: I like your philosophy on life. Duct tape and WD-40.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jim Krause said:
ezdays: Last night I tried to report a spam message and the "report post' icon was missing from the lower left corner of the page. Anything significant in that?

CNW: I like your philosophy on life. Duct tape and WD-40.
Jim,

Yeah, that is significant since the only posts that do not show this icon
report.gif
is your own. The software we have is assuming that you will never want to turn yourself in for spam or other undesireable activities. I just went back and checked a bunch of spam we have in the holding tank that we collected over the past few days, and they all have the
report.gif
incon.

Thanks for trying anyway.:thumb: If I find any reason, I'll surely let you know.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
A word of thanx

Thank you for the great work you and your crew have been doing to control this spam situation Don :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .
My Hat is off to you and the staff sir. The Gauge is the best source that I have found on the WWW for info relating to modeling and life as well.
On that note, How was your Holidays my friend?
I spent time with my wife in Iowa looking at property over the holidays, and the Mrs. said that I could get a full size railcar of some sort to place on the property, ie.. caboose, to put next to my dream layout in one of the Out buildings, Actually looking for a barn in good shape on the property for it ( 40'*80') :D
announce1 I love her for being her, and that idea just sealed my thoughts.
God bless.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
60103 said:
Don and all: thanks for the work. I almost never see the spam.
Embarrassing question: are the 400 deluded souls still included in our membership and post counts?
We hold on to their posts for a few days, but we find it necessary to take out the garbage at least once a week otherwise the office begins to stink a bit, so their posts no longer are counted at that point. They are however, removed from the member roster once they are detected and banned, although we do keep their screen name blocked so that they cannot come back and use it again. Those that we suspect are spammers but are only under surveillance are active members until we find out otherwise. There are over 100 of them that have registered here but have not tried to post yet. The do keep us busy, but it's really gratifying to be able to catch one as they're posting. I wish we could see their faces when they find they've been found and cut off.:D

Thank you for the great work you and your crew have been doing to control this spam situation Don...

On that note, How was your Holidays my friend?
Thanks for the complement, everyone works hard to keep this forum free from trash, you would be amazed what some of these spammers post here. If you spot some spam, you'll find some of them have a lot of ****'s. That's because we've blocked certain words that they use from appearing. We hope that this plays with their mind a bit as well. :rolleyes:

And thanks for asking, our holidays were quiet for the most part. We did have the whole family over for Christmas dinner, but I'm still not running at full speed yet, so we took it easy the rest of the time.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I really hate spam. It takes a moderator's already hard job and makes it that much more difficult and time consuming. I know. I've been there and delt with 'em before. I don't know why they have leached onto vBulletin forums so badly within the last year or so. A site administrator tried explaining it to me once but it was over my head. Something to do with a bug in the last updates? Either way, we went from having almost zero spam for 3 years to getting hit with it almost daily and the problem gradually increased. It settled down some after the administration turned on the requirement for e-mail varification but there were a few who still worked around it by signing up with actual e-mails.

Anyway, I'm getting long winded and I just wanted to say thanks to the mods for doing such a great job keeping this place cleaned up. :thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Recent spam!?!?!?

I think there was someone spamming for 400bucks off a ps3 but when i tried to look at it to report it it wasn't working. just thought i should say what I saw:thumb:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
CNWman said:
I think there was someone spamming for 400bucks off a ps3 but when i tried to look at it to report it it wasn't working. just thought i should say what I saw:thumb:
I reported that one about 20 minutes ago. :D