Thank you

plbab

Thank's to all who answered my pervious questions. I now see that finding the hobby was the easy part picking the scale and layout is just the begining. This weekend i will go to hobby shop not close to me, and pick up some books and do some homework.

billk

Just another thought - while you're waiting for your dreams to come true (or figuring out just what that dream is), try building some small dioramas. It's a great way to get your feet wet in a lot of the many facets of the hobby - different scenery techniques, track laying and ballasting, building construction, etc., and you can even try out different scales. If you screw it up past the point of the no return it's not a big loss.

Welcome plbab,

While you are at your hobby store have a look at the tools available for the hobby. It's amazining how many get started in modelling and find they should have got proper tools for the hobby. I'm talking about all sorts of itsy bitsy tools like tiny drills bits, a variety of tweezers, miniature clamps, eyedroppers etc.
This might not make sense to you right now but just like in the real world anything becomes simpler to make if you have the right tools for the job.

A golden rule ...... Keep it SMALL to start with, you will not regret it.
2nd Rule ....... make sure you have a well lit dedicated workspace for planning, assembling kits, maintenance etc.

But above all ..... Enjoy the hobby!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Errol

justind

I will agree with Bill, I am in the same boat as plbab as I don't have the space for a permanent layout. I have found that diaramas can be just as fun, and they are quite a learning experience...a lot of things to learn that will save you time and headaches when you get to the real layout.

Justin,

Do you have space for a 4ft x 8 inch bookshelf?

You do? Great, then why not add a shelf above or below the bookshelf and make an N gauge version of John Allen's "Timesaver"?

Here's a pic of a modified "Timesaver" in HOn3. This was featured in the June 1981 MR (page 96). I guess if we all really looked, we would have space for a teeny operational pike like this in N gauge.

Just a suggestion friend, (gotta keep the N'ers happy :) )

It's also a good starting layout for you plbab ;) .

Errol

Attachments

• track layout.jpg
    track layout.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 107

justind

Thanks

While it would be fun to build it, I'm afraid I wouldn't do much else with it (the TimeSaver). I am more into watching the trains run, than operations. Partly because I don't have a nice powerpack or nice locomotives that respond well at low speeds, but operations tend to bore me.

I also couldn't justify the investment into N Scale with my limited finances. What I do have now for HO scale has taken quite some time to acquire, but is worth it as it is the scale I intend to stay with.

As it is my wife and I live in a 1-bedroom apartment, so space is Incredibly Limited.

Time is the other key factor, I am working full time and then attend full-time school at night....leaves only a day or two on the weekends for trains. ;)

Woodie

Tools

Plbab,

Yep. As mentioned, tools are vital. I have no idea what I'd do without my Dremel and it's attachments. Next on the list? tweezers, and jewler's file set. (small set of files). An ALWAYS sharp hobby knife.... assortment of CORRECT and appropriate glues. Having the appropriate tools etc makes SO MUCH difference to the enjoyment of model railroading.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Oh.... and draw. Draw a lot! Especially your layout design before actually beginning. Practice (thought wise) about how you intend to run your trains. Where to put them in the yards (will your preffered train length fit? etc), swapping them around, which direction you will run on which track. Getting from one track to the yards and vice-verca. :eek: