TH&B freight cars

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Now I have a TH&B question! I believe that CN took over the TH&B -- does anyone know when? (I'd guess it was in the 1960s.) Also, after CN took over the TH&B, was it common to see former TH&B rolling stock hauled by CN freight trains? I realize that this is a "basic" question but I'm trying to learn more about Canadian railway history! Thanks, Rob

kirkendale

May 24, 2004
Hi RobertinOntario, The TH&B is CP not CN. Originaly it was owned by CP, NYC and one other, I think The Michigan Central ( who was owned by NYC ). I believe it was fully absorbed by the CPR in 1986. There is a book out called "In the Shadow of Giants" I forget who the author is but it is full of info. I have the first edition somewhere, it has been updated with a 2nd edition.

Attachments

• 2816tunnel.jpg
    2816tunnel.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 141

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks, Kirkendale. That book sounds good and the website (above) is helpful as well. Just curious as to where/when that pic was taken as it looks fairly recent. I'd like to see one of these huge steam locos when they visit our cities, but so far, I've missed them! Thanks, Rob

dsfraser

May 13, 2004
The 2816 is used by CP for railfan trips across the country. Based in Calgary, it usually runs to Ontario at least once each summer, and to Vancouver a coupe of times each year. She's a beauty.

Curiously, she usually travels with a GP38-2 painted in the original grey/maroon scheme.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
dsfraser,

I understand that the Geep is for backup, just in case. It's also a vintage loco in its own right! ;) :D On most of the trip, the steamer does all the work though, and the diesel travels behind - at least that's what happened on the Montreal - Toronto run in 2004.

Andrew

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MasonJar said:
Try the CPR site - www.cpr.ca. Don't miss the Christmas train - it comes in early December.

Andrew

Andrew:

I just visited http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+Public/Holiday+Train/Schedules/Ont+-+Quebec.htm and saw that the CP Christmas steam train is coming to Toronto on Dec. 4 at 8:15 pm at 55 Mill St.

Are these schedules accurate or do they ever change at the last minute? Maybe I'll just keep checking their website and plan to be down on Mill St. nice and early, with my two boys.

Thanks again, Rob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint, but the Christmas train is not the steam train (or at least not in the past).

The schedules always change at the last minute. However, if you are planning on going to one of the events, I would get there well ahead of time - it's very popular. You can call the 1-800 info line to get an update on the day of the event you have chosen. Last year, they were late coming out of Montreal for Smiths Falls, and the show was delayed by several hours.

It is lots of fun to watch the train go by at a crossing, or somewhere you can get a good look at it. I waited with my 4 year old last year. She was in her PJ's and we listened to Christmas music while waiting at a level crossing in the middle of nowhere. The train runs with Christmas lights lit all the time, so it was a great scene at 10:30pm witha bit of snow coming down...

Andrew

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmm, so maybe I'll have to look further on the website for info about the steam train then (rather than the Holiday Train). If you don't mind, could you please let me know if you come across a current steam train schedule as well? Thanks! Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MasonJar said:
Try the CPR site - www.cpr.ca. Don't miss the Christmas train - it comes in early December.

Andrew

Andrew: Is the Christmas/Holiday (I don't like the word "holiday":( ) train a diesel then ... and if so, what kind of diesel? I'd like to see an old (F7?) in the maroon and grey colour scheme, that would be cool! Thanks again, Rob

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---here's another shot of 2816 on a recent excursion on ex-th&b trackage in hamilton

130406004.jpg

kirkendale

May 24, 2004
Hi guys, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. The picture of 2816 is from 2004 just after it exits from the eastern ( downtown ) end of the Hunter St tunnel in Hamilton. When I was young saw I many a TH&B freight going to and from the tunnel. This is my first steam locomotive at the tunnel,,,:thumb: WOW well worth the trip.

I missed the Christmas train last year ( well ok, every year ) but if it runs with the lights on then it will be worth the visit. I think I will start to plan my route to chase the Christmas train this year....

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robert: I posted a shot of 2816 coming out of (ex-TH&B) Aberdeen Yard in Hamilton a couple of years ago. The Christmas train uses a modern diesel, but I think they use a few of the cars from the Hudson. Interurban managed to wangle a trip behind 2816.
There are usually 2 Christmas trains -- one goes through the US and one through Canada.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robert: Did we answer your first question yet? TH&B freight cars would travel in anybody's freight trains. Since the line was located in the Hamilton area, they had to use other lines to get to most destinations.
Repainting freight cars isn't a prority job with most railways (You can tell by looking at the grafitti) and railways tend to do the minimum -- reporting marks, numbers, legally required lettering.Since CPR and TH&B were friendly roads, CP probably ran the cars in the old lettering until they fell apart.
One other point: because of the fee sharing CP probably tried to run cars originating on their line as far as possible on CP or CP owned lines.