Texturing in Pep?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MTK, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MTK

MTK Active Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, however, I have litterally dozens of models that I've unfolded and scaled, specifically for the Sci-Fi community and have been wanting to share them for some time.

Problem: I can import them into Meta and the textures show up fine, but whe I save them in .mqo and open them in Pep, the textures are gone. I've tried various methods to work this out to no avail.

Any suggestions, or positive input is greatly appreciated. As soon as I get this worked out I have dozens of models to have uploaded to this site.

Thanks.
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

You need to upload the texture image files into pep manually using "texture configuration".
  3. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thanks, I'm using Pep Designer 3, but have an older version on another computer, where is this "texture configuration" on the menu?
    Thank you for your time and response.:thumb::mrgreen:

4. ThunderChild

In pepakura 3 go to "settings">"texture settings"
    This will open up the texture settings window.
    On the top-left side of this window you'll see the texture names. The top right block is your texture preview.
    Below that you'll see a button named "specify texture image..."

Should be self explanatory from there. :thumb:
  5. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thank you! Have recieved other PM responses as well. Hope to start uploading new models ASAP. Thanks again!

6. ThunderChild

Glad to hear. Could you let us in on what models you have going, or are you keeping it a surprise? :D
  7. MTK

MTK Active Member

I've got a myriad of things that have already been unfolded, but have no textures. As soon as I get the texture thing worked out there are models from TOS Trek to SW to Marvel and DC heroes to you name it. I've unfolded dozens of them over the years and have asked for assistance from several different sources and just recently got the information that I think I can use. I figured out most of it and knew that I was missing something simple and I think I've got it. Whatever works I'll be sure to credit those that helped.

Virtually all of the models that I have already unfolded are for the Sci-Fi genre'.

The list includes, but is not limited to Trek interiors and ship models, sets, props etc. Wars items of various scales..... BSG ships, and so on.

Once I hit my stride I'll be willing to do requests.
  8. MTK

MTK Active Member

Here are the first couple of images of the first model I've worked on the texturing for with the help of SJS and the input here.

I started with a .nif file from the Bridge Commander game, opened it in NifSkope and exported that file as an oject file, after which I opened the .obj file in LightWave and used it as a reference. Following that I took each of the .tga files into Photoshop and saved them with the same name, but as .bmp files since both Metaseqouia and Pepakura can handle these formats. Finally, I had to go in and assign each .bmp to a separate material in Pep.

At first the textures did not want to go to the place, or in the appropriate
    possition, some had to be flipped, or have the coordinates totally switched. In the last photo you can see that in Pepakura Viewer, the skin is actually upside down. I have since corrected that and have skinned 90% of the exterior. Next I'll skin the interior and the crewmen.

I picked this model to start because it had an interior and crew models. I plan on doing this in 1/25th scale to start.

Attached Files:

9. MTK

MTK Active Member

Made a bit more progress on this today. I followed the advice given here and given by SJS, but still found that when I imported the textures many were upside down and backwards and there are a couple that are not showing up properly no matter what I do, I also noticed the the coordinates for the ship were reversed. I should have most of the textures worked out soon and will start the unfold and have it ready for upload.

Attached Files:

10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Texturing

Hey MTK,

The reversed texture problem is a common one. It's kind of late for you since you've already unfolded a lot of models, but for future reference and the benefit of others:

When I start a project like this the first thing I do is load the obj file in Meta, then get the textures displaying by going in to the material properties and locating the proper file. As you know sometimes you need to convert the image file format. If the texture is reversed, I start over, opening the obj file again, and there is an option for "Flip left and right". Then I redo the texture images and the reversed texture problem is fixed

Hope that makes sense.

Steve
  11. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thanks Steve, I've been working on that for days. However, there are some textures that are targa files that just do not want to cooperate. I have found a fix though, for the most part. Have this model 95% done and hope to have it available with interior and crewmen very soon.
  12. ThunderChild

Why not just flip the image in something like photoshop?
  13. MTK

MTK Active Member

Well, the nature of the targa files is that without Photoshop, they are not transferring properly and take some manipulation. a couple are just wrong.
    I've got this mostly done and will be sending the files to SJS, who has offered to help. I'm definately going to have to re-install PS onto this computer.
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

That works too, but personally I consider this a "fudge", while the other is a "fix". It may be just semantics, but that's the way my brain works.

Yeah, I've never had any luck with targa files. Since Meta and Pep don't support them anyway I always just convert them to jpg or png. Gimp doesn't load targa files very well either - they always look like they are transparent, and colors are off, so I use another program to convert them. Someday I may look into that.....

Steve
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thanks for the SJ!:thumb:
  16. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'm still working on the textures on this, but I noticed that even some of the CG programs had problems with the targa files, if you look at the comm badges you can see that even in Lightwave they don't transfer correctly. However, I am amazed at the resolution available of even these low poly models.

Attached Files:

17. MTK

MTK Active Member

I've been working on the textures and the unwrap on this and think I've just about got this thing worked out. As soon as I get this done and have hosting set up I'll have this ready to download complete with an interior
    and crew. I want to thank SJS for his assistance on the textures. Is it easier to texture this in .mqo?

As it stands, one of the "work arounds" is to take screen caps and import them into the .png, jpeg, or .bmp files.

Attached Files: