test1

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Been playing and learning from my son the last three days and I think the old possum finally got it. I haft to thank the logger that never lies for all of this as he put me on to this camera. My boy fell in love with this camera because it takes great pictures and is very easy to use. I can't thank you enough Jon. Well here goes my first picture and its me heading to a spike camp for another high country muley. The area is far from being finished.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great modelin'...so good I hadda pull out Sweetums and Bam-Bam, my two large bore, high powered huntin' sidekicks, from their long summer's nap and oil 'em up. :thumb:

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hey Shaygetz,Yes' you got to keep those boom booms oiled up for sure. Out here were into the first week of the big game season. Would you believe two hunters from the Gillette area were mauled by grizzleys already? I'm not getting a whole lot done on the railroad as I'm waiting for my two Shays to arrive. I have the cookie cutter done for my new logging area but have no idea what kind of grade they will handle so hoping they will arrive soon so I can find out. If your going to take those oiled up boom booms for a walk I sure wish you luck. Thanks for your comments on the railroad.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:

F

Fred_M

Wyomingite said:
Out here were into the first week of the big game season. Would you believe two hunters from the Gillette area were mauled by grizzleys already?
Ron

Isn't that the saying? "Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you". Fred

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Wyomingite said:
Would you believe two hunters from the Gillette area were mauled by grizzleys already?

Down here we gotta watch out for wild boars, mean little boogers that'll make a griz assume the fetal position whilst suckin' its thumb and whimperin' :p

If those shays are the Bachmann 80 tonners, I don't think you'll be disappointed, I own one and it has some nice pulling power.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Would you believe two hunters from the Gillette area were mauled by grizzleys already?

At the risk of being labeled "anti-hunting", which I'm not, I always it would be more fair if the bears had guns and could shoot back. Seems like the bears are doing just fine as they are.

BTW, some great modeling. I may steal your trail setting for a pack mule scene I've been thinking of doing. Thanks for sharing.
Doc

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Shaygetz

I'm modeling in n-scale and awaiting the new Atlas Shay. They don't have traction tires and thats my concern about what grades they will handle. Doc I have some mules on order myself that will trail behind the horse and rider. I'll need to come up with some loads for them to suit the needs of the hunter.

I'm holding off on my logging branch also until I get some reliable info on the Atlas Shay's abilities. Wonder why no traction tires? These are the climbing locos if ever there were any and I'd think Atlas would want to capitalize on it.

I'd like to have it push a short string of empty log cars up a series of switchbacks and 6% grades up to the logging camps. (Prototypical, not in my area, but across the pond in Vermont.)

Doc: I also support "The Right to Arm Bears." :p

Wayne

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Wayne,
My plans seen to be somewhat like yours but logging the Black Hills of Wyoming.
I have no idea why no traction tires and all the photos I have seen its running on a flat surface. I sure guess its wait and see and I sure hope it gets on the market soon.

Ron :thumb: :wave:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Wyomingite said:
I have no idea why no traction tires and all the photos I have seen its running on a flat surface.

Old school N scalers didn't want the traction tires in the past. Your electrical pick-up is reduced at each wheel so equipped. They make the locos wobble and tend to jerk and jump under excess load. This would lead to burnt out motors as the drivers weren't free to slip. When I was in N scale, we would buy the loco and immediately order replacement drivers to replace the ones with traction tires. Some manufacturers would even give you both sets and leave it to you to decide. I'm glad to see a RTR Shay is coming to N after so long a wait.

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
I agree with your thoughts on the traction tires Shaygetz. The problem is all the engines I run are steamers because of the period I'm modeling. The only ones that have great pulling power are my Kato mikes and the Bachman consolations. The rest would'nt pull seven cars on level track without slipping. I don't plan on pulling more the four logging bunks but theres still the problem of what kind of grade I can get away with. Thats why I'm at a stand still with the cookie cutter. Once mine arrive I plan a long breakin and then start raising the cookie cutter a little at a time to see just how much I can go up before it starts slipping. I be happy with two percent as I don't think steep grades are good for N-scale steamers. Anyway I'm hoping they hit the suppliers soon as I can't wait to get started.