Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the comments. Though when I look back on a post I am amazed at how little I said. If my lack of detail p@sses you off, please tell me. Am only to keen to help.

For my third build I took a lot more care as to the accuracy of the fitment of the frame this time. This has caused me problems in the past. I also filled this one with foam, (even though I previously mentioned I didn't like that option), as it really helps me "shape" the many curves down the rear end of the hull. This is really pushing a paper model to the limit.

For anyone who is interested, here are downloads for the figure head that I made. I'm not sure how they will download, but the size is A5, (i.e. half a A4 page).

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/q_s_charm/Terrastrial Voyager/HeadFullPLAIN.png

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/q_s_charm/Terrastrial Voyager/HeadFullCOLOUR.png

Also, I made the outlines in Autocad 2000 Light, and coloured the images using Paint Shop Pro 8. But I always printed my files to paper using IrfanView.

I've finally sent my celeron 366 to the graveyard, (regretfully, he/she was a very helpful friend), and bought a Core 2 Duo E6600.

I tried the demo model of PSP XI, but quickly discarded it as the browser hogged 100% of my resources@! No go for me.

So I am now trialling Paint Shop Pro 10, (or is it X?), and it is much more resource friendly.

BUT, I found that printing using PSP made the prints much darker than the screen image.
    ALSO, printing the images with IrfanView prints as I had set up my screen visual. I try to set up my screen visual as I think is correct, though this worrys me as like, is it 15%? of the male male population, I am colourblind somewhat. Anyway...

What I am trying to say,... is that IrfanView prints what I see on my screen, ...but Paint Shop Pro doesn't.

SO, IrfanView prints the image as designed. I don't know why, but that's how it is.

Andrew
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I like that figure head!! It really puts the spirit into the model!!
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This is the most "original" creative model I have ever seen. You started with only a picture and have truly created a work of art. It is truly inspiring.
  4. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the kind comments.:wave: It is always good to hear something here and there, even though I can see that people have been logging on to view the thread. Yes, I am quite pleased as to how the model has been turning out.

Below I've put some of views that came up as the perspective photograph developed into a 2D model. It mightn't look like great changes, but it took me many hours to arrive at. I'd walk away, and not look at it again for a week, but by then, something had clicked in my mind that helped me move on. For my opinion, the painting as designed wouldn't have been as graceful as a ship's hull, so that is why I've made changes. I'm fascinated by the aesthetics of ship and flying boat design. They are just so graceful.

[​IMG]

Below are some of the ideas that I messed around with while I decided what if I should stay with the original sail design. I decided not to when I made this pic', but lately I'm thinking to go back to the sails shape as in the poster.

[​IMG]

Back to some progress.

My latest deck configuration.

[​IMG]

Cutaways have been made into the foam to fit the supports to hold the cannon.

[​IMG]

A close up to show that that this is getting a bit rough, but I want to get this project finished before another birthday comes around.

[​IMG]

Originally I had made 12 separate pieces to cover the bottom of the hull. But most of these could be joined together with cuts added where required to form the changing curves of the hull. Three pieces was the final number.

[​IMG]

Next shows the largest piece in place prior to gluing. I then cut slithers of paper out so that the cuts would butt together. Well that was the idea, ... didn't quite work out. The line down the centre is to help me line the card up, and to represent the keel line, though I could have been a bit more imaginative.

[​IMG]

Here is the bottom covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In retrospect, there are a lot of things I would do differently. I think the bulkheads design could be different to aid in the laying of hull covering.
  5. damraska

damraska Member

Since you are making this thing your own...

From an engineering standpoint, this vessel would have great difficulty turning because of the very wide track and very fat wheels. I would also plan on a very rough ride due to the complete lack of any suspension.

How about a suspension system like that on an in-line skate, with all the wheels in line, under the hull, and outriggers to keep the whole thing from tipping. The relatively thin in-line wheels would skid more easily in a turn around the pivot point. At speed, the outriggars could come up off the ground. When turning, the outriggar wheels would serve as a brace. If you have enough wheels, this layout might even reduce the ground pressure compared to the existing design.

-Doug
  6. gippolot

gippolot Member

Yes Doug, can't agree more. The entire concept is totally impractical. It would never have been created by an Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, etc.

But for money, science fantasy has its place, and Rodney Matthews is a gun artist.

You've got me thinking now. But for me, I think it's good to be able to dream. And that's all the model is.

A land yacht and an ice yacht are so fast, but look dead boring compared to a blue water yacht, which is what the poster is based upon. So I guess its a trade off of reality against fantasy.

Regards,
    Andrew
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I wonder if The Terrestrial Voyager is a ship for a low gravity atmosphere. In that environment she could "skid" steer quite easily and the wheels would be like a keel, just for tracking. The Martians in the Martian Chronicles had sailing ships on land also. The Ship could be am amphibian, once in the water the crew could easily remove the wheels.
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Mars has a similar gravity constant as Earth though...
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I used the Martian Chronicles as a reference for sailing on land, the ships in the Martian Chronicles seemed to be of very light but sturdy construction (smaller diameter of Mars brings you closer to the core = more gravity). I do not know the original of the Terrestrial Voyager though.

The Ice Spirit is a similar ship on big skates (for ice) on the concept designers website. It would be a great next model.
  10. damraska

damraska Member

Mars gravity is about 1/3 that on Earth--an immense difference in engineering terms. An average galleon weighs about 400 tons on Earth, 133 tons on Mars. That's equivalent to about 3 Tiger I tanks. If we assume the landship is about the same size as an average galleon, and it is on Mars, the ground pressure could actually be pretty low. I think Zathos is onto something.

I realize the landship is fantasy--but I enjoy trying to make such things work.

-Doug
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

12. gippolot

gippolot Member

Yes zathros, you've nailed it. I always wondedered where Rodney Matthews got his inspiration from! :yep::yep::yep:

Here's the pic, I'm still laughing.

[​IMG]

Curiously, I was only checking my local library last week for a copy of The Martian Chronicles. None available sadly. It was a series from the TV 1980's wasn't it?

Okay for all sci fi fans, I'll thrown down the gauntlet. I've seen the movie, I've read the book, I've heard the song,...but who is prepared to come up with a design for the Landmaster in Damnation Alley (1977)

The Ice Spirit would be a fantastic working model,... though I'll have to wait for the second ice age for a lake to freeze in Australia.

[​IMG]

Andrew
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I saw a video from Sweden showing a HUGE ice boat going down a river, it was the size of a schooner. There must have been no bridges on that river. It seemed to be gently cruising at about 15 mph. It was Gaff rigged with mast hoops and a jib. The Landmaster was originally a Vehicle designed to flip the wheels when they became too hot at high speed. It was a concept vehicle that made it to TV. The original vehicle had a trailer that made it look like an autonomous 2 car train.
  14. damraska

damraska Member

I thought the wheels flipped in case of a flat after running over too many radioactive scorpions. I've learned something today!

Hmmmm. Landmaster.

-Doug
  15. gippolot

gippolot Member

Well I've completed the outer covering of the hull. I used quite thick paper, 195 gsm, (as opposed to general photo copy paper of about 80 gsm). I had hoped that the thicker paper would help cover up deficiencies that the designer had inadvertently left in the hull frame.

I think the problem is that I'm attempting to use too few sheets of paper to cover the outer frame. Also, the hull probably required twice as many frames to adequately deal with all the inflecting curves. But this will have to do... I'm not about to start version 4. I just want to get this finished.

Some of the joins weren't too far misaligned, but the majority were quite hard to get smooth.

Here's some photos. I've made them larger but if they are too large for anyone, let me know and I'll keep the size smaller. Also, if you notice that some of the model parts vary from previously posted images, that's 'cause I still keep ripping bits off, and gluing new, slightly different pieces on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tt
  16. gippolot

gippolot Member

Originally I had planned to cover the entire hull with overlapped paper strips, and then sand them smooth prior to gluing the final coloured layer. As previously posted. I should have stayed with that idea.

Andrew
  17. Clashster

Clashster Member

Sweeeeettttt! Another update! Andrew, this is an awesome project! Despite any issues you have with it, it looks great! Thanks for the pics! As always, I will look forward to the next installment!

Chris
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Any ship that is perfectly smooth is probably fiberglass. The hull looks great. Wooden ship models look better when they are not perfect IMHO.
  19. gippolot

gippolot Member

I made a yellow stripe to wrap around the stern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also added are the "struts", "cantilevers", whatever you want to call them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next the wheels. The outer cover wraps around the inner frame, that slides over the wooden axle.

[​IMG]

Two figures to scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the lookout positions to be fitted to the main mast.

[​IMG]

Andrew
  20. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o (That would be a WOW!!) I love it!