Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Clashster

Clashster Member

This thread continues to amaze me! What a beautiful design! Nice job with the figure head! Seems like it was a very difficult thing to design! Thanks for the update!

Chris
  2. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

What A Challenge!

With all the curves in the model it looks like a very difficult design/build. Thanks for the thread/pics!:-D

Looking very intriguing so far...

Terry
  3. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Thanks for letting us watch, your work is really outstanding!
  4. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Holy s**t thats beautiful!
  5. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the very kind and inspirational comments Nezard, Don, Chris, Terry Art Deko & Jackrum. You'll spur me on to keep this project alive.

As much of this model has to be invented, I spend a lot of time trying out different patterns and colours on my present "base model". I'll try out a pattern or colour scheme, print it out, fit it, take a photo. Then try something else to compare it with. Slow work but effective. Then of course I'll get an idea and change everything.

Here's a couple of ideas I messed around with.

[​IMG]

Here's the parts I put together for the spines that extend from the wheels. This typifies Rodney Matthews work, drawing on the physical attributes of insects.

[​IMG]

As this hadn't been completely glued together, I've put this photo on it's side so you can get an idea of how it may look. I think I'll end up making this out of wood or something similar. Paper is just too flimsy for this type of work.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned.

Andrew
  6. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Hadn't check this thread in a while. Absolutely stunning work! Excellent!:grin:
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I agree, very nice. Beautiful work. Like the one on the left.
  8. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

I kinda like the one in the middle
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Or centre ?????? :twisted:
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

---MS Word underlines "center" with red ;) Battle between British and American spellings~~~
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

caliber........... calibre???
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

This topic could become a bit of a bore :twisted:
  14. gippolot

gippolot Member

Am currently working on my Mark III model which WILL, be my final design. It is similar to the previous, but is redesigned to improve the way the wheels are mounted.

I knew I should have uploaded these earlier on. These are some of the thoughts I considered while I was trying to decide on what the missing half of the model should look like. This is what I refer to as the bridge, and was shown in the previous photo of 3 ideas compared. I went with the bottom left. For me, it just seemed to fit.

I really believe in that saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", everyone has a different opinion, and usually for very different reasons. But all are correct to the owner.

Any opinions, positive or negative, are more than welcome.

[​IMG]

This is a picture of colours, (I just stay with the Oxford), I toyed around with while thinking about how the "tread" pattern of the wheels could be.

[​IMG]

Here is an image of colours I messed around with for the outside of the hull. I feel adding lines to give an impression of planking helps define the curve of the hull. Even though the scale wouldn't work for "our" idea of planking! I've used yellow for the ports, (if that is what they are called?), ' cause the colours make me feel good.

[​IMG]

More to come, some time.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Wow, you've really mastered the art of textures...
  16. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very cool! the bottom one seems to have realistic looking weathering... Definately one of my favorite threads! Thanks!

Chris
  17. gippolot

gippolot Member

Just a note on the patterns, I've used for colouring my design. All of them I've found on the net. All I've done is manipulated them to get something I'm satisfied with. I'm a bit lazy like that, if someone else has a good idea, use it, and give them the glory.

This my third hull frame. Some strengthening has been made for the mast bases and some cutaways for the wheel axles.

[​IMG]

A close up.

[​IMG]

For the rear axle, I took a bit of advice from previous posters and made a new one out of wood. It was made the same way as the previous paper one, but from laminated pieces of 1.5mm wood used for planking model hulls.

[​IMG]

I've built up the axles to fit the wheels to.

[​IMG]
  18. gippolot

gippolot Member

Here's some photos of designs for the prow of the model.

[​IMG]

First idea.

[​IMG]

Second idea. I think I'll stay with this.

[​IMG]

A shot from front on.

[​IMG]
  19. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great looking figure head! This design is awesome! Everytime I come to this thread, it amazes me and then says to me "get off your lazy a** and design something cool like this!" So, love your work and somehow a thread is talking to me....

Chris
  20. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I agree with Chris, been watching from the start, excellent work.