Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the suggestions

My intention was for the beam to be a solid, non-flexible beam, that could take the load from the hull and not flex.
    Using many sheets of paper glued together with a non flexing glue seems to work. But I haven't decided how to finalise the design yet. I flirt from one component of the model to the next when I get bored or frustrated.

The glue is a non brand name acetone/toluene base craft glue which seems to suit my purposes.

Dan, I could try using card laminations in opposing directions (good idea), but the paper laminations seem to be holding up so I'll stay with that until everything falls apart.

Yes zathros, it would make a good working model, though paper and card isn't quite strong enough.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Member

Andrew

Dunno how much you're looking for suggestions.
    This axle shape can be laminated just as easily, use a gladwrapped former top and bottom. It will result in the wheel bearings having a large surface area. (I take it you're not thinking of a high speed run on Lake Eyre. :grin:)
    The wheels are so wide that most of the time they won't so much try to bend the axle as sort of just push upwards on it. Meanwhile the whole of the area hatched red is available for reinforcement by vertical laminations.
    Paper and card can be strong enough for a "rolling" version, it's just a case of getting the materials and structure right.

Out of interest can you give me the measurement you're using for the overall width to the outside of the wheels (spikes not included)?

Cheers
    Maurice

Attached Files:

3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Have you ever considered a two part epoxy paste (steel-putty) that you could shape into what ever shape you wish. You could place a steel wire rod axle inside and have the whole sub-assembly done in one shot. It would look organic if shaped properly.
  4. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the suggestion Maurice. I'm not looking for suggestions, but if somone has something constructive, or non-constructive for that matter, to add, then I'm happy to listen. I guess I'm just thinking out loud in some of my posts. That's how I work.

I like your suggestion for the wheels, I might pinch that if you don't mind. It's much better than what I was thinking of. I expect that I'll go for a wooden/wire solid axle, (or the 800lb cardstock as Muryphaa mentioned :) ),... it's just so much easier & I've spent way too much time messing around with small details.

I've never used that 2 part epoxy Zathros, but I'll store that in the memory bank.

Below is the rear end dimensions, I was quite surprised how wide it will be, and I've probably reduced it 3 times since I first started this project.

[​IMG]
  5. gippolot

gippolot Member

The Rudder

I put together my first attempt at the rudder.

[​IMG]

The "skeleton" of the rudder was cut from 3 thin cards glued at 90 degrees to each other.

[​IMG]

This was then painted yellow. The inner film was printed on 120 g/m^2 paper.

[​IMG]

The skeleton was then glued onto the inner film. The skeleton for the opposing side still has to be made.

[​IMG]

Below is a photo of the rudder leaning against the printed background of the transom, so that an approximate idea of the finished article can be assessed. I'm quite happy with it, but I'd like to smooth those square edges of the skeleton of the rudder. The gudgeon and pintles have still to be made. These are quite different from the original poster, but much easier to make.

[​IMG]
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, that is just beautiful!

Fan-Tas-Tic!

I have been really busy reading these forums lately.
    It seems more and more build threads from very talented people are getting posted lately and this one is no exception! Very, Cool!8)
    You have really captured the essence of this craft and I applaud your efforts!
    Just wonderful! And, as always, can't wait to see more pictures of your progression on this beauty!:twisted:

Cheers,
    Russell
  7. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow! Great job on the rudder! I, too, can't wait to see the next installment! Definately something that really catches the imagination! Thanks for this great thread!

Chris
  8. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the encouragemnet Russell and Chris (Clashster, the best avatar on the forum, possibly the net). Very much appreciated.

I must admit I haven't been quite polite and replied to everyone who has left comments, so please forgive my ignorance. I went back over the earlier posts, so please take my thanks to, GT5500, Gary (gwssms), Rick, TheWebdude (found the Wacky Races long before I found this forum) ,ket, Jon (jleslie48), Steve ( sjsquirrel ), Jackrum, goney3, Nezard, murphyaa, jleslie48, john (Bowdenja),

All comments very much appreciated. I'm always interested to know what others think.

I've dug up a link that I found long ago of a fellow who made some models based on inspiration from Rodney Matthews.

http://www.scifidimensions.com/Sep01/peterturk.htm

I checked out Boris' site. Thanks for the recommendation, but I have to say it is not quite to my taste. As regards human figures, for my money, you can't beat Rubens or Raphael for inspiration. Whoever drew the dragons for the Anne Mcaffrey novels, again for my money, is as good as I've seen.

More updates soon, Thanks, Andrew, (gippolot)
  9. gippolot

gippolot Member

Progress on the galleries and lanterns

I've finally managed to get the design for the galleries, (I assume that is what they are referred to, stern, quarter, etc.), and the 2 large lanterns that typify the old man-o-war style.

[​IMG]

Here's a cad sketch.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of one of the galleries. The colours have been messed around with a bit but I'm quite happy with what I've arrived at.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of one of the 2 lanterns.

[​IMG]

More to follow...
  10. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Looking lush!
  11. gippolot

gippolot Member

The spire atop the stern

The spire which sits on top of the stern is to be made out of a series of conical sections getting smaller from the base to the top.

[​IMG]

Once I'd decided how conical sections to make the spire out of, they were printed and assembled.

[​IMG]

I don't know these type of structures are generally made, so I've made a couple of pictures to show what I did. I left extra material at the top of each conical section for the next conical section to be glued on to and to make it easy to poisition the upper piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This method seemed to work quite well. Making the conical sections, or frustums, was the more difficult part. Putting the sections together was quite easy. Every time I look at it though, the term "witches hat" pops into my mind! I spent quite a while making a really small pointed cap to fit the top of the spire, but it looked so clumsy I'll leave the spire as it is.

[​IMG]
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Pretty cool design and builds up real well!
    When I look at it, I see a black hole as diagrammed in textbooks.
    Nicely done!

Russell
  13. Clashster

Clashster Member

Just keeps getting better! Thanks for the update!

Chris
  14. gippolot

gippolot Member

The figurehead

I've spent so much time on this figurehead that I wouldn't atempt it again in 2D cad.

[​IMG]

A quick sketch is made of what it might look like firstly. I find it way easier to sketch by hand with a pencil for complex shapes, than to use autocad. The sketch is then scanned and saved as a bitmap so that it can be imported into autocad. The sketch doesn't need to be accurate. It only needs to give me a position to lay down some points that I can then clean up as the design comes together.

[​IMG]

I found trying to turn a couple of 2D views of this compexity into a useful development was very time consuming. I'll try 3D whenever I get around to buying a new PC with a bit more grunt. A 3 times scale model was made as this made it much easier make alterations on paper and then transfer them to cad.

Here are a couple of shots of the figurehead as the development is close to getting finalised. The dumb thing is that I'm not sure if I'll even use it on the finished model. It looks a bit too "dark" for my tastes and if i gotta look at it, I gotta like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

How is the build going.
  16. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Yeah, hows it coming along? So looking forward to seeing it finished.
  17. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the query.

I've been modifying the colour scheme somewhat from my previous posts. Once the printed parts are in place, I get a much better idea of how the overall look is evolving. A phyisical representation is so much better than a 2D coloured image on a screen. The changes aren't much, but enough to affect the final look.

Also I am finialising the fitting of the wheels/rollers before I progress any further.

New updates should be posted in a week or two.

Andrew
  18. gippolot

gippolot Member

I haven't been able to spend much time of late. Here is some of my ideas as I head towards the final design.

The figurehead.

[​IMG]

Thoughts on how the wheels may look.....

[​IMG]

Building what I call the tower,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cannons in the base of the tower,

[​IMG]

Please note that I have tacked bits together here to get an idea of what to do with the design and colours for the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Just when I thought this thread had sunk into oblivion... It rose again!! I can see that the build if completing, keep it up :)!!
  20. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I'm afraid this post will sound like a 1950's movie trailer, but here goes: A masterpiece! Colossal! Stupendous! A monumental achievement! Featuring a cast of thousands (of hand designed parts). If you see only one model this year, you MUST see Terrestrial Voyager! It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! And that's all I have to say about that.

Regards,
    Don