Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. gippolot

gippolot Member

I thought I'd start a thread on the model I'm making, though I feel this will be a long term project. It has turned out to be quite challenging.

Below is a picture I scanned of a poster entitled "Terrestrial Voyager"

[​IMG]

It came from a book of the works of an artist named Rodney Matthews.

His website is http://www.rodneymatthews.com/main.htm

The image of the "Terrestrial Voyager" I am using came from Rodney's first book published on his art, entitled "In Search Of Forever". See below.

[​IMG]

I started off by drawing the model with Autocad light and then modifying the design with the aid of paper models. See below.

[​IMG]
  2. gippolot

gippolot Member

Once I was satisfied with my initial design, I made the hull frame from 1.5mm card.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I am confused are you saying you designed this model, if so you have done a great job so far.
  4. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks. All I have to go by is a single picture in a book, so I have to dream up just about everything. Meaning, shape, dimensions, scale etc.

I don't think a lot of the individuals parts of the original painting are quite in perspective so I've made quite a few conceptual changes. There are a lot of complex curves to deal with also. That is where Autocad makes life much easier, as I can lay down a few points and fit a curve along them until I get something that looks OK.
  5. gwssms

gwssms Member

Wow! This is going to be fun to watch! Really impressive work.
    Gary
  6. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Oh Yeah.
    (Also See "Diamondhead - Am I Evil")
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

If you like Rodney Matthews work, then you may like Boris Vallejo's work. He draws fantasy art, although becareful with the kids, some of his work has nude women. Tasteful, but nude. His drawing's of dragon's are amazing.

I am looking forward to watching you build this.
  8. gippolot

gippolot Member

Since I may be stuck on this project for a while, I'll throw up some images of some of my experiments while I was trying to collect my thoughts for the next move.

Attached Files:

9. gippolot

gippolot Member

When I'd noticed some people were filling their hulls with foam, I thought that might be a worth a try. It worked quite well, but with the hull made of a couple of layers of paper/card, I think the result should be just as good. I'd prefer to keep to as much card/paper as I can 'cause I think it is so clever!

Attached Files:

10. gippolot

gippolot Member

To see whether my initial autocad design was fluid, (in a hull-wise sense), I began by gluing 20mm wide strips of paper across the hull, 'cause that is what those Shipyard madels do, and they seem pretty well on the money. I was so impressed I bought the Revenge... probably by 2009 I'll get to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. gippolot

gippolot Member

Yes, the hull does look like a mummy, but that will be far from the final result. The initial wheel/roller size wasn't quite correct.

Attached Files:

12. gippolot

gippolot Member

I've been messing around with colours and patterns while I try to decide the make up of the colours and this is the best I've dreamt up to date.

Attached Files:

13. ket

ket New Member

Wow!
    I have been a fan of Rodney Matthews since I saw his work, incredibly organic, and insect like, you have a hard job ahead of you, but for what I have seen you are doing great so far.
    Can't wait to see more...
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow! This is shaping up to be quite spectacular! For years I have wanted to scratch build a boat in wood, now I am contemplating paper... Watching your work is very inspiring! Thanks for the posts!

Chris
  15. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Ok, I'm in. this looks great, I'm very excited about this project. I hope it will get to a point of being downloadable,

Sincerely,

Jon
  16. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the encouragement.:) :) :) I've found this project to just a bit more challenging than I first thought!

For the Matthews fan out there, "The Ice Spirit" was the first poster I ever bought, way back when. That is the one I've always wanted to model, but is more difficult than this one.

I always planned to build the voyager in wood. I bought the Schrieber model of the Great Eastern. Decided I could improve upon it, so searched the net for ideas. Discovered some of these fantastic forums and discovered that paper modelling was a whole different world to oragami!!!

When I finally get this project into reasonable shape I'd be more than pleased to give it out. Without this and other forums, it would be just a "maybe I should start that next year" project.
  17. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Wow!

gippolot,

I'm still finishing off my first design project as well. It's also more challenging then I thought at first, and nowhere near as complicated as what you've taken on. Very inspiring to a budding designer.

Thanks, and keep the posts coming.
  18. gippolot

gippolot Member

I realize I've been a bit light on with a description of the methods used to bring this project to life.

My initial drawings are done with Autocad Lite 2000, (curtesy of it being legal to load it on my work laptop to bring home, I wouldn't even want to purchase the Lite version).

The dwg files are then converted to jpeg/tiff to manipulate. I had to purchase "Any DWG To Image Converter", http://anydwg.com/downloads.html, for a free demo. $83.00 US for the product, which I found, by messing around with the demo, I could use quite sucsesfully to produce quality files for manipulation by an old bit map programme, Paint Shop Pro 8, that I had.

Attatched is one of my drawings as I developed my initial design.

Attached Files:

19. gippolot

gippolot Member

Here's a couple of my latest ideas.

Attached Files:

20. gippolot

gippolot Member

Bugger, I haven't figured out how to post mulitple photos at once.

Attached Files: