Terminology of roundhouse alternative

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
Hi.
I was at the Elgin museum today and I saw a device that the locomotive would ride onto, stop, and then this device would move sideways to the appointed rail where it would stop and the loco would ride into the longhouse.

This alternative to a roundhouse has inspired me and I would like to try and build one, but I need some more information, starting with whatever the damn thing is called.
Any help would be appreciated.

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
Is this a European and Canadian thing as I never saw one in the 4 years I lived in the US, or was I just in the wrong places?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Transfer tables have been used in the US. There is one still on display at Bandana Square in St. Paul, MN. This former railroad shops complex is now a specialty mall with a model railroad club layout upstairs.
Ralph

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
you just happened to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Not many around anymore. I may be wrong, but most went out of vogue about the same time that turntables did.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
There are roundhouses without turntables too... Some sites in BC had them for some reason. A zillion turnouts leading in to the place instead of one turntable.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
We had a thread last year that included aerial photos of a transfer table in the US. Lionel made one back in the 50s.
You might be able to make one by stripping the mechanism out of an old Workmate.
Compared to turntables, they used a lot less space and allowed everything to fit on rectangular lot.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
A transfer table isn't really so much an alternative to a turntable as an alternative to a huge yard lead with a bunch of switches. For repair and construction shops with lots of work bays, a transfer table provides a handy way to move equipment from one bay to another. The Sacramento Locomotive Works had two--currently there is one, reconstructed by the California State Railroad Museum and used to shuffle the Museum's collection between the boiler shop and the erecting shop. They're more something found in a shop complex than something used for locomotive storage.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Here are a few from my Transfer Table on the 1:20.3 gauge layout:

057.jpg

g039.jpg

046.jpg

042.jpg