telephone pole distance

warren danzenba

I am about to add telephone poles to a branch line HO layout. Does anyone know what was the customary distance between them? (Using 30-height along the line....raising it to 40 foot height where the lines cross a track. ) I thought I read an article on pole distance recently----but let it get away from me!

Vic

Hi Warren, They're spaced 100-120 ft apart ( wood poles) but that might be a bit much on a layout. Older poles were spaced a bit closer. I'd sorta experiment with the spacing and go with what looks right to you rather than try to be exact on it, especially on a branch line.

When doing your "experiment" get some of that cheap kid's modeling clay and use it to hold the poles upright while you move them around and decide what spacing is best. Will save you a bunch of un-necessary drilling :)

NYCentral

I would have to agree with Vic. Sometimes it is better to space them so they look right as opposed to exact prototypical locations. I have seen them in real life at many different spacings anyways.

Warren, I agree with Vic, what I use is scrap pieces of cork rodbed cut into one to one and half inch pieces in length, drill a hole and push the pole in. Do 10 to 12 of them at a time and move them around to where you hare satisfied, leave them a couple of days and look at there location every so often because the next day you see things sometimes a little different, and adjust accordingly. When you have had them sitting for a few day and are happy where they are, put them in the ground. Ron..

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Warren, I space mine around every 10" to 12" on my H0 layout. As others have said, it's what looks right in the end.

Shamus
wink.gif

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Just in case you don't have enough opinions...

I came across an old MR from about 20 years ago that said prototypical spacing is about 100 - 120 feet, but 80 - 100 scale feet "looks better".

Andrew