tehachapi loop closed to railfans!!!!!!

taylor_up_bnsf

taylor_up_bnsf
Dec 9, 2007
Arizona
From what I've heard. Union Pacific has closed off the loop to the railfans/public. They have posted no trespassing signs all around the area.
wall1 :curse:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Well, y'know one of those camera totin' wierdos might be a terrerrist! (or however the heck Dubya says it). sign1

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
at the hobby shop two weeks ago i herd a couple guys talking about explosives found on tracks, sorry, i cant remember the road:eek:ops: . its stuff done by wackos like those that did that, that just ruin it for us railfans:cry: .
EDIT: The bad thing is, i doubt it was done by terrorist, more then likely done by bone heads born and raised here in the US:madd: .

UP for example, hauls some pretty dangerous stuff, i guess in lew of idiots i too, would be cautious about who goes by my rails:frowns: .

i love to railfan, so it ticks me off too:madd: , but honestly, you have to put yourself in their shoes:frowns: . not saying i like it, not saying its right, but sadly, thats what happens:frowns: .

:deano: -Deano

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The simple fact of the matter is that it is private property and they have the right restrict access to it. They are well within their rights to restrict access to their property as they see fit.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
The simple fact of the matter is that it is private property and they have the right restrict access to it. They are well within their rights to restrict access to their property as they see fit.

So was Horseshoe Curve. Maybe someone should get the Parks Service involved. That way they'll make the site "better", just like Horseshoe... :rolleyes:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
So was Horseshoe Curve. Maybe someone should get the Parks Service involved. That way they'll make the site "better", just like Horseshoe... :rolleyes:

I think Horseshoe is park land off the right of way. The Tehachapie Loop is built around private property. There is a horse ranch in the center of the loop, so there is no way for the Parks Service to get involved, national or state. I don't see either the National Park Service or California State Park system coming up with the money to buy the ranch to make it a park either.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
So is it UP or the private landowners putting up the no-trespassing signs?

Could it be that ill-mannered railfans have caused the landowner to pull the plug? Or could it be a new landowner - some pri... uh... prince. Some "prince" from the city who doesn't want anybody on his wide open spaces?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
A little refresher course is in order here.
If it isn't your property, and it isn't public property, and you do not have permission to be there, you are trespassing. It is that simple.

True enough.

A lot of trespassing is overlooked by property owners, but if you assume you have a right to trespass then you are the problem.

Also true. However, there's also the grey area of unenforced rights and historical use. If it was private property, up until recently the owners have been if not friendly, then at least ambivalent towards railfans. Why the sudden change?

Snide remarks about terrorists have no place on this or any other forum. Everyone with any common sense remembers 911, and the next one could be 201, 322, 607, or whatever. Don't think it isn't going to happen again. It can happen tomorrow.

Also true. Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness. However, I'm not going to get into how far over the paranoid line things have gone, without making things any better. I will say that it's used as an excuse for far too many otherwise unjustifiable decisions these days. 'nuff said.

In Pa the law states that if it looks like a railroad you are not allowed to trespass. No posting is required.
Same in Canada - in fact it's federal property. However it's not illegal to photograph trains from private or public property.

If this is the private landowner there that has posted his land, what right does anyone have to call him names. Would any of you tolerate perfect strangers making themselves comfortable in your yard?

Well, that comes from my rural upbringing. People were quite relaxed about folks on their property. So long as you weren't trampling the crops or hassling the livestock, they didn't get excited about you being there.

Then the new money city folks moved out to the country, built their 4000 sq. foot compensating-for-something houses, and felt no need to become part of the community. There's being neighbourly, which we'd done for a long time, and there's being prince-ish, which the new folks managed to do.

Walking across a person's back 40 while not trampling their beans is a lot different from having a picnic in their front yard... but some people don't seem to be able to (or want to) make the distinction.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I am a huge DMIR fan, and I hope to soon begin my DMIR railfaning career, but now that has been taken over by CN, I hear that their facilitys are A LOT harder to take pictures at, I think it would be smart if railroads opened up areas were railfans could go and take pics and watch trains. The DMIR put up a platform for people to stand on to watch ships at their Duluth ore docks, and at their Two Harbors facility they own a large park right next to the ore docks where you get an AWESOME view of ships loading, and the trains working the docks. I have never been to the Tehachapi loop, but you cant tell me there is nowhere they could set up a railfaning spot, it could be fenced of from the tracks if need be. I know there are several railfans (here on the guage) that would pay (a minimal) fee to use these locations, because to many of us, the pictures we take are very important and the railroads should realize how much a part of our country and history is about trains, and pictures are a good way to preserve it.

Just my $.02

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
It wasn't that long ago that you could go to a railroad facility and ask (politely) to sign a liability waiver so that you take some pictures on the property.

Now, fear of litigation, plus the post 9/11 paranoia have pretty much killed that.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

Why couldnt they figure out how to make a deignated railfaning spot where you cant actually acsess the tracks, just close enough to take pics, no way to be injured because of a train. Yes we railfans would have to sacrifice didtance, but hey, trains are big, even from a distance there is plenty to see.​

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Kevin,

There are places where railfans and railroads have come together... more-or-less. Like Marion Ohio, Flatonia Texas, Folkston and Jesup Georgia, Homewood Illinois, and I understand Fostoria Ohio is also working towards a dedicated railfan space.

It's not unheard of, just uncommon. What it needs is dedicated people who are willing to get the community (and if necessary) the railroads to the table to make things happen.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Well I guess its true, you learn something new everyday!:mrgreen:

Its not much a prolem for me, the DMIR is in the middle of nowhere, not hard to just sit trackside, snap a few pics and go watch another. There are also a few highway overpasses you can get good pics from.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Kevin,

If you do end up coming up here look for the Munger Trail(The old NP mainline to MPLS.).There is an overpass up the hill that runs over the DM&IR line that leads to their Steelton Yard with an excellent view of the tracks.Steelton was what they called the area that included the steel plant,cement plant and yard,now the plants are gone(All that is left are the bunkers that held the coal and ore.) and I believe it's used for interchanging.it's busy,I reckon their is a train coming or going every couple of hours or so and may be worth a look.I live about a block from the trail and it takes me and my son about 10 minutes to get there by bike.Let me know when you are coming and maybe I can help you.

Chris

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Kevin,

If you do end up coming up here look for the Munger Trail(The old NP mainline to MPLS.).There is an overpass up the hill that runs over the DM&IR line that leads to their Steelton Yard with an excellent view of the tracks.Steelton was what they called the area that included the steel plant,cement plant and yard,now the plants are gone(All that is left are the bunkers that held the coal and ore.) and I believe it's used for interchanging.it's busy,I reckon their is a train coming or going every couple of hours or so and may be worth a look.I live about a block from the trail and it takes me and my son about 10 minutes to get there by bike.Let me know when you are coming and maybe I can help you.

Chris

Ill need to remember that, sounds like a good place to check out. As I said I want to come up there this summer, maybe w can meet somewhere and you can show me some of the good spots.

cntown

Dec 29, 2007
Georgetown ON
After the Paris show a couple years back we went over to the main and watched the VIA go buy and the CN freight sitting in the hole start rolling,the noise was amazing all for 4 engines screaming,but from the safety of the parking lot.Some of the railfans were inches from the tracks without a thought for safety just to get the money shot. The signs were there warning about trespassing I think even we were parked in the wrong spot,but we stayed back from the track.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
On April 27, there will be a passenger train making its way through the loop. The last three cars in the consist will be vintage cars from the Zephyr. The train would normally take a more northerly route, but because of track maintenance near Santa Barbara, the train is being re-routed. This is suppose to be one of the few times a passenger train has gone through the look since regular service was halted some 37 years ago.

For more information, check this out:Trains Unlimited Tours - Domes Tehachapi