techniclor t-34??

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by NULLMOON, Jan 31, 2008.

1. charliec

charliec Active Member

For the clinically obsessed there's the reasonably new Halinski T-34 Model 1942 - a mere 7000 parts with full interior. Actually if you used lasercut tracks the parts count would drop dramatically.

Modelik have a T-34/85 and have previously published a T-34/76 Model 1940
    - these are both quite detailed.

Maly Modelarz has published T-34/85s over a lot of years - this is modelled after a 1960s Polish TV program called something like "4 men and a tank".

I have a vague recollection that ABC magazine published a T-34/76 Model 1941.

There's a free 1/50 scale T-34 Model 1941 at ICM models.

The Answer T-34 looks quite good in 4B0 green as well.

Regards,

Charlie
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Cutting the wheels out is the easy bit - adding all the strengthening ribs to the roadwheels will drive you to drink or insanity - 10 large and 10 small ribs per wheel and 20 roadwheels...... There is a problem with the Answer kit - the roadwheels are intended to model the steel wheels used by the Russians when they ran short of rubber in 1941-42. The outer flange of the wheels is coloured the same as the hull colours - can't possibly be right - should be grey or some emulation of steel. The same comment applies to the idler and drive wheels as well.

Regards,

Charlie
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

Not really - the Bovington Panzer I Befehlswagen has been repainted in the 1939 scheme of dark brown and panzergrau - not all vehicles were repainted by the invasion of France in 1940 in the later all panzergrau colour. The Answer scheme is modelled on a repainted tank at Kubinka - the colours just aren't right. If you look on www.jagdtiger.de at the WW2 Russian armour there's a lot of variation in the 4B0 green but it's nothing like the shade of dark green on the Answer model. I think Don color - JPS Modell - Die ganze Welt der Farben has got a good take on the range of colours 4B0 was.

Charlie
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Very clean build so far. Worth completing.
  5. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

I can say that again , too bad that the graphics aren't so great
  6. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

i dunno if i want to now charliec seems to be putting the kiss of death on ithamr
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

Not at all - the Answer model seems to fit together well. I thought you should be aware of the amount of work that's required to put the roadwheels together.

There's another gotcha with this model - there aren't enough parts for the flange parts for all the roadwheels. I was fortunate because I was working from scans so I could just print more. On the model it's Parts #60 and #61 - each roadwheel flange is made up of one of each of these. There are only 10 of each but there are 20 roadwheels.

Regards,

Charlie
  8. PITERPANZER

PITERPANZER Member

Everything we can say and write about this T34 model , but if You use them as a base to built painted T34 is o`k for sure.In competition on 1-25SAF ,after small upgrade and scratch my Friend show us model based on oryginal vehicle from Gdansk.
    Competition relation is here
    Gallery is here
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

That's an unusual roadwheel arrangement in the Gdansk T-34 - the mix of steel and rubber roadwheels certainly isn't factory standard. I'll be interested to see how this build handles the roadwheels (edit - a bit more digging on the build report site - I like the use of the BT-5 roadwheels). Also like the way the air inlets have been built - looks pretty realistic.

Regards,

Charlie
  10. PITERPANZER

PITERPANZER Member

Charliec You `re right,itsn`t factory std,it was field modification,maybe more service.As You can see this tank has more features from later model ,fenders(probably changed after war,when tank was repaired and moved as a memorial ),driver hatch,mg manlet,road wheels.Chassi is 1941 or 42 for sure and has rectangular engine hatch .
    Now if You want to built model based on this monument the best is use road wheels from AH T34-76 (Rubber and Steel ) and full pressed wheels from T34-85 from MM by Mistewicz.Wheels from Modelik `s T34-85 are 2mm on diameter to small :-( . This tank has 121 tactical number,and should be Leut Miazga Tank ,but another sources says that it`s russian destroyed tank ,and recovered from battelfield as a memorial.
    If You start relation , please don`t forget about 1-25saf.Will be interesting
    "cut-throat competition "
  11. charliec

charliec Active Member

My modeling skills aren't in the same class as the T-34 build on 1-25saf. I was only interested in the Answer T-34 because it's reasonably straight forward model. For me, it's a good way to learn how to do a couple of things:
    - Do a complete recolour from a scan.
    - Use lasercut tracks.

As usual, it's going to take me a long time to get it finished - work just keeps getting in the way....

Regards,

Charlie
  12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

lol

You could with some light application of water colors shape the 'awkwardness' that comes with the purplish color into a more brownish hue.

Hey ... the build is clean. Finish the job and deal with the color scheme later.

Another idea would be to design and apply extras to distract from the paint scheme, like shovels, crew baggage, ammo boxes, camoflage netting and so on...
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

Nice idea but the Russians generally didn't drape their armour with the same clutter as western tanks. Most Russian armour was well equipped with stowage boxes to keep the junk level down. T-34s often carried a number of infantry troops on top of the hull into action - that's what the grab handles on the turret and hull of ww2 Russian tanks are for - minimising the trip hazards on the hull top would have been pretty important.

Regards,

Charlie