Teach me please...

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Dancooper, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Dancooper

Dancooper Member

Hi, I am actually more a plastic modeller, but I have downloaded and tried many of those free models available, with variable results.
    My question here is, is there on int this site, or anywhere else a detailed "course" like "Cardmodelling 101" or something ?
    I always print the models on 160grams paper, is this right, or should I only print on that heavy paper for supporting pieces and the rest on regular 80grams ?
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

YesSir!
    Click the link " Card modeling FAQ" on my signature.

If you have any specific questions AT ALL, no matter how dumb you may think it sounds, please ask!

As for which weight cardstock? Personal preference my friend.
    I use 110# for everything.
  4. Dancooper

Dancooper Member

Thanks for the link, that's great help there :yep:
  5. thewoodengraver

Service with a smile! :grin:
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

TWE... You use 110 lb stock for the little stuff, too? I started of with just 80 lb, and found it to be a bit heavy, so I've using 65 lb...

No wonder you swear by butt joints, you're using lumber, not paper.....
  7. thewoodengraver

:rofl:
    LOL! well... the Paper Engraver sounds silly now don't it?

Yes my friend, 110#(lb) for all. As I have also stated..." personal preference" works best.
  8. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

yes, personal preference is best... i use 110# for the tanks i build and 90# for the planes. it is a bit easier to curve with the lighter stuff for aircraft. everything i design is intended to be able to be used for activity (including flight for the planes) and the lighter weight paper does not hold up as well for me. another consideration is the relative humidity of your area. it can be discouraging to find a well built model warped to #*&@ after a few months...
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Major Cooper,

I use 160 gm/m2 for just about everything. An exception is where I laminate to heavy card, then I use 80gm/m2.
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

I use 65# for just about every download/printout model. It seems to have the right balance between flexibility and stability. My favorite is something called Cougar Cover--very smooth finish. I get it from my local print shop. I've never seen it in Staples or Office Max.

No worries,
    --David
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Paper weights can be a bit confusing, because not only do you have to give the poundage, but you have to state which paper you are using.

Here is a chart that will help to explain.............

Attached Files:

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Continued..............

INDEX on the chart is the same as CARD STOCK.

TEXT on the chart is the same as OFFSET Paper

I use 110# Index (card stock) which equates to 53# bond paper or 90# Bristol.

So if you are using 90# Bristol paper then you are using 110# Card Stock. Or acutally the equivalent to 110# Card Stock. The paper wights are the same, but the properties of the paper are different.

If it is 65# COver stock then you equate that to 97# Index.

Believe me it is way more confusing that it should be, but this is the way it is.

I hope this chart help explain it better then I can:oops:

john
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Also to put things in perspective.......... plain old typing paper is 20# BOND.
  14. thewoodengraver

John, ole buddy, ole pal,
    would you be willing to do a seperate thread explaining this conversion chart, it could be added to the reserves.
    Very Cool...Thanx!
  15. Clashster

Clashster Member

John, as confusing as this is, why is 110 # index equal to 65 # bond? On the chart, 110 index shares a line with 53 # bond.... the room is starting to spin and the head feels like an explosion is in the offing!
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Clashster you are correct sir! And the room is spinning for me...........dang pollen my sinuses are killing me:cry: I got my columns criss-crossed.

Phil............... I'll try but believe me with 20 something years of messing with paper.......... It's still a bit confusing to me. The Dang stuff is alive I tell you......... ALIVE!

The problem is there are several different types of paper.......each having
    specific properties and at some point are the same but different.......... I know......... I know......... you should see me try and explain it to my boss or a Computer Programmer..........they usually jusy throw up there hands and tell me to handle it and they will be happy with whatever I decide.

It also has the deal with the fact that paper ain't made 8 1/2 x 11 to start with................

john
  17. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I agree Mos95B................. I edited my wrong post and added a couple of more things that might or might not help................really IT'S ALIVE I tell ya................ One foot in the air head turned around looking at you to see if you are joining me for the run for the hills....................:cry:
  19. Dancooper

Dancooper Member

Hmmmm, ok, I'll go for the styrene and tennax, at least petrol based stuff is easy to understand, it stopped livving 100 million years ago....
  20. thewoodengraver

Could we get back to a point where I found this easy? Please? lol

John, if you throw down your tools and go home...I'll understand!