tas star trek cargo-2 vessel

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
you caught my attention when you mentioned you were unfolding it. looking forward to see what you're coming up with!

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think it is so cool that you are making this!! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Just a small heads-up: It's been a long time but rest assured, this project is not forgotten! :)

I have tinkered with the model a bit and brought it closer to the model used in TOS:

antares6.jpgantares7.jpgantares8.jpg

A few minor things are still to do. I'm working on several projects in the queue to bring them forward and this is one of them. Please be patient, the Antares will be coming (not so soon but she will be there)! :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
In the show:

View attachment 217745

"on screen":

View attachment 217746

;)

One thing I noticed: If you skip the head and move the deflector dish you will get a model of the unmanned cargo drones from TAS, so I guess we will have a nice option with this one. :)

The best thing to be found in my Easter basket since the Cheerleader convention of '85!

[talk about breaking some eggs...]

Great news! Very excited to hear this! I'ver tried over the years to make directions for another kit attempt but I could never coordinate with the author well.

This is an exciting entry into Papermodeldom and the first new Trek kit I have seen in years!

Thanks!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you for your kind words! :) The model needs a rigid frame to keep the head and tail up. I may have found a way to solve this. Stay tuned! :)

Reactions: spaceagent-9

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Just a small heads-up: It's been a long time but rest assured, this project is not forgotten! :)

I have tinkered with the model a bit and brought it closer to the model used in TOS:

View attachment 217744View attachment 217743View attachment 217742

A few minor things are still to do. I'm working on several projects in the queue to bring them forward and this is one of them. Please be patient, the Antares will be coming (not so soon but she will be there)! :)
This is a very interesting design. It is will make for a great addition the Starfleet collection. There are two other tugs in the resource section:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
This is a very interesting design. It is will make for a great addition the Starfleet collection. There are two other tugs in the resource section:

Those are the "other" transport craft; the one from the episode "The Orion Pirates." That ship was more of a transport than a "tug." It featured prominently in the early part of the episode with a crew, distinct ship chest emblems, and even showed interiors of the ship. That was a good episode and also the first time Orion males were depicted in Star Trek (setting the president that Orion males were far larger in size than human males).

The one that Revell-Fan is working on was featured originally in a TAS episode "More Troubles, More Tribbles," penned by David Gerrold; the same author of the more well known TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles." A very popular episode (and had quite a history of controversy...but that would be another Thread!), the animated MTMT was a sequel to it, of sorts.

In the original animated MTMT, the vessel was an unmanned drone; a tug for carrying freight and even towing cargo pods. Two of these ship designs were featured prominently throughout the episode.

When the remastered versions of TOS came out, the Episode Charlie X included an update; this ship design with a command section (or primary hull). This Antaries was the vessel delivering the guest character at the beginning of the episode (don't blink, you'll miss it). It was also featured as a replacement of the Woden Class ship, automated freighter, that the M-5 destroys in "The Ultimate Computer," in the remastered version (I always preferred the reuse of the DY-100, as was done in the original broadcast, but I understood the logic of the change).

What exciting about this proposed model is that it will permit either the animated version (made by one other paper modeler designer, but w/o directions, making assembly a challenge) or the digitalized "live version" from Charlie X. Its an interesting ship design and one of the better of the TAS era. I've wanted to build this one for quite some time.

Thanks Revell-Fan!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
@THE DC : You are welcome! Thank you for your indepth analysis. I love those background stories. It's such a conicidence that "Star Trek" is in syndication here again today. And guess what, "Charlie X" was the second episode shown. So I was able to grab a high-res screenshot of the remastered scene. And here she is, in her full glory:

antares-charliex.jpg

:)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Just for the record, the link you guys provided lasted 1:06 minutes, and just had links where to watch Star Trek for pay. Kind've useless, they may have been something before, but they are both leading to the same page. ;)

Reactions: spaceagent-9